Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The position is overrated. Revis is overrated. No corner is worth $12m. You can have a great front 7, putting pressure on the QB and McCourty or Cro, maybe even Milliner; or the next top prospect having a field day in the secondary.

Some Jets fans can't move on from '09 & '10. Apparently woody is in their company.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we saw how overrated it was the past two years

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should've signed him last offseason yes. Idzik would've been a genius to flip Revis for a 1st round pick and then get him back an offseason later. He'd still be employed today and Rex too.

The problem though with your theory is that you are already setting yourself up to believe it's going to be Woody Johnson's decision only. Doesn't it make sense that Bowles, who predicates his defense on CB play in the back end, would want a Darrelle Revis back there? So if they sign him you will be pissed thinking it was Woody pushing them too, but really, maybe they just want to spend the surplus of money on a great player that fills a big need?

4. Falco21

See that's the other thing many people are overlooking. Bowles thrives with great corners. He blitzes more than Rex ever did and relies on his corners to hold their men. Revis is a dream come true for him. A guy who completely shuts down his man and is the best man-to-man corner in the game.

We have $55+ million dollars. Spend it on a guy who will "guarantee" you a pro bowl season at a position of huge need.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm really torn on this. With $55M in cap space, we can make a lot of moves.

My only concern with Revis is complacency. I just don't want him to be so high and mighty now that he has a SB ring to go with his personal accomplishments that he feels like he's got nothing left to prove. I don't think that's in his DNA though as he wants to always be known as the best so probably a non-issue here.

That said, he instantly makes Our CB issue go way down on the priority scale. We'll still need another decent CB across from him but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd go after Revis for 14 a year. I'd also go after McCourty at FS for I assume 8-10 a year. This gives us plenty of room to still re-sign Mo and still bring in a top veteran WR and OL.

Then you grab either Qb, wr or rush end at 6 and this team looks way improved.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think anyone with a brain can make the assumption that someone who made XX amount of dollars last year and then won a Super Bowl ring will be looking for more than the amount of money he made the year before. Especially a guy with the history Revis has with negotiations and ego. I didn't really think that part was so difficult to follow.

And what about the history of Revis says he won't be looking for a short huge deal so that he can score another one two years later? Again, not hard to follow unless you want to twist the past to help back your opinion. And okay, let's pretend Revis is looking for more than two years of guaranteed money. Do you want to be paying a cornerback who is 32 years old the amount of money we will have to pay him in year three?

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's not a coincidence NE finally won another SB the year they got Revis. He's the best player we have ever had and he's the best corner in the game and the best I have ever seen. I am not saying to spend whatever it takes to get him but let's not minimize how great he is.

alleycat9 likes this.
  8. Falco21

See, I am completely down for this.

Sign Revis. Sign McCourty. Extend Wilk. And bring in a guy like Cobb or Maclin.

Draft Mariota or Winston in the first.

HUGE difference from last year

JetsNation06 likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Good post-

I wouldn't worry about him becoming complacent after winning a title or even after getting a big contract. Because we don't see these guys personally, I definitely could've seen your point, however after reading Collision Low Crossers, I am certain that kind of stuff isn't in the guy's DNA. This is a player who watches film more than anyone, who gets pissed off when/if he's beaten by a route in practice! That's the type of player who doesn't become complacent and who you build your defense around.

(not to mention a great mentor/example for young corners like Milliner)

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. JetsVilma28

Woody is a fool. Corner is the least important position on defense. Give me the dline that we already have, add some depth to outside linebacker and rejuvenate middle linebacker. Give me a ball hawking free safety and a monster over the middle at strong safety. Cro, McCourty, milliner, anybody but Revis.

Leading up to 2011 I blame the entire "Revis" situation on Tanny. You don't give front loaded money to Holmes, Sanchez and whoever that shit stain RT was. All that money prevented a Revis long term deal. 2013 off season we trade for first rounder, Revis has a shit season in Tampa. 2014 off season you make a bid at Revis ("it was Idzik fault" GTFO!! Where was woody then?). Revis signs with the fucking patriots and wins a Super Bowl ring*. Now, woody wants Revis back. Fucking "A" have some dignity here, have some pride. I don't want to root for this guy, I'm wrong? Lol

Move on! He's a Pat, he's not retiring with the Jets; and I hope to never see him in the uniform again.

((And of we do sign him.. fuck.. go Revis)). I hate you guys

11. Falco21

We are gonna have to overpay for anyone.

Lupati will command big money.
    McCourty will command big money.
    Suh will be huge money.
    Revis will be huge money.
    Cobb is said to be seeking $10-12 million.
    Maclin will be looking for somewhere near $10 million.

Giving Revis $14 million is fine with me

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of this Revis BS

Vahncase, The 1985er, FJF and 2 others like this.
  13. Falco21

I can almost say we will for sure sign him if he hits the market.

With all the reports now about Woody, there is no way this team passes up on the chance or bringing him back with the amount of money we have.

14. Falco21

Yeah me too.

I just want him signed with us already

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If youre okay with signing Revis for $14 million a year, you deserve everything that Jets have been since 1969. I don't understand what is wrong with this Fan base.

Br4d and jonnyd like this.
  16. JetsVilma28

Exactly. Find a hungry kid, the next "Revis". The story is over, we need to move on. He is a Pat now, forever.

I want DeMarco Murray and a diesel offensive line. That's fun football to watch. Murray, ivory bruising speed; pulling guards abound; Powell out as scat back catching screens; real football. The way it was meant to be played.

Stop with this flashy corner nonsense. Rather have a front seven unloading on the quarterback. Corners are so boring. The passing game has ruined football

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Leave it to Falco to overstate things in his thread title.

18. BrowningNagle

I know- how stupid that we want great players. how could we be so dumb? let's load up on mediocre players and become a mediocre team.. oh wait that's the 1969-2014 plan

19. BrowningNagle

For a guy who likes to talk down the importance of the CB position you are really clueless as to the importance of RBs which are pretty much disposable in today's game

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can see the need for a CB but, I don't see the Patriots letting him walk. Especially back to a division rival. I also don't see Revis walking away from a Championship team that perhaps is looking at back to back appearances to the SB. All this talk is too little, too late for Woody and the Jets. That train left the station last year. I have a feeling they know this and what you're reading is for public consumption only. I just hope it doesn't bite them in the ass when the tampering charges are addressed.