Woody Johnson Involved in Serious Talks to Bring Revis Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Looks like this is real now.

"The Daily News has learned that Johnson has been involved in serious internal discussions with Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan to make a push for perennial All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis if/when he becomes a free agent next week.

The Patriots aren’t expected to exercise Revis’ $20 million option bonus by March 9, setting the stage for a possible reunion between the Jets and the six-time Pro Bowler, who helped Bill Belichick and Tom Brady win the Super Bowl last month."

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/foo...oody-reverse-darrelle-revis-article-1.2135214

#1 Falco21, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I will be extremely discouraged if this regime spends top dollar on a cornerback that will be here for maybe two years and will cost double what some of the other free agents out there will cost. I don't think anyone can make the argument that we are only a Revis away from contending. We aren't. And the only teams that should spend that kind of money on the cornerback are the teams that are.

Cro, Maxwell, Jackson. Any combo of those three would be more cost efficient than signing Revis.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what is going to happen is all this talk will end up costing us a pick to reinforce the tampering charges against Woody and Revis will stay in NE

4. BroadwayAaron

There's one player from the Pats secondary that we should be going hard after and it's not Revis.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nice!

Ignore his history with this organization for a second and it makes a lot of sense.

These Jets are coming off a 4-12 season., have an abundance of cap room and besides QB, of which no one good is available, their biggest need is at CB. The potentially top available FA just so happens to be a future HOF CB in his prime. In the offseason where the 2 best teams in the NFL just so happened to have the 2 best CBs. Why wouldn't they make a run at him?

If his name wasn't Darrelle Revis you guys would be freaking out at the opportunity to get him.

6. BroadwayAaron

Wrong. It's stupid for a 4-12 team with lots of holes to spend top dollar on any one CB regardless of what his name is.

7. Falco21

Yup. Anyone claiming it's a dumb move is saying it because of the past. The corner market is getting bigger and bigger and we will have $55+ million to spend in free agency. Why wouldn't you sign the best corner in the league and a guy coming off a huge season? It would immediately solve our corner issue and let us worry about other holes.

Sign him immediately

8. BrowningNagle

gotta fill those holes somehow. The biggest hole on defense by far, the same hole that costs this team many games last year, was CB. It also happens to be a very important position in the new staff's scheme. Why not go after the top dog on the market when you can - instead of spreading around a bunch of money on low caliber talent and wasting good cap space on mediocre players

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Because he will cost a ton of money.

rohirrim665 and JetsVilma28 like this.
  10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Why not last off season? Why after Revis secured a ring* with the Pats?

Waste of money, better spent on offensive line and offensive weapons.

Some ppl can't move on from '09 & '10. I don't want Revis back at any price.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd rather get two corners with that money. Fuck that traitor scum.

12. BrowningNagle

You are the one who is being absurd, too personal. You don't want him at any price? come on now...

And who cares that he won a ring in NE. That actually makes me want to sign him MORE. Get the top defensive player on the market and hurt a division rival in the process? Double bonus.

13. BroadwayAaron

Nope.

Answer this question:

Revis for $14 million a year over the next two years
    Or
    Kareem Jackson for $8 mil a year over the next four years

14. Falco21

And guys like McCourty won't? McCourty will command somewhere around $9 million a year.

You wouldn't sign Darelle Revis, a HOF corner playing at as high of a level as he ever has, for an extra $3 million a year?

Please

15. Falco21

Darelle Revis.

94Abraham likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

That's not smart. And to answer your last post, it is far far far far more cost-efficient and far smarter to go for McCourty at that price tag for four years over Revis at what he will cost for most likely two years.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

If you were going to get him back it was last off season. Now, woody steps in to do the job of the GM and thinking for the HC and DC. It's another move for the 'media business'. Move on already.

The only way I want this to happen is if this is a decision made by Mac and Bowles. Woody needs go away.

Imagesrdecieving and FlaJet like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I'm not answering your stupid question because you are just throwing out useless figures that you made up in your head. You and I both have no clue specifically what its going to take to secure either player, especially when it comes to the years in your scenario. Like Darrelle Revis really WANTS a 2 year deal? haha

But yes, I'd rather have a more expensive Darrelle Revis any day of the week over an average Kareem Jackson. And especially when I look at these shit corners we have now and especially when we have over $55 million in cap space and it's not a real issue

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

First off, those two play different positions.

Secondly, no way does McCourty get $9 million/year. My guess is somewhere near $7.5/year . Revis may get close to $14/year.

And while Revis is amazing, and was my favorite Jet, and a future HOFer, I still would rather spread that money out to fill more needs. Cro and McCourty combined would probably be less than Revis will make.

The Uniform Bomber, FlaJet and FJF like this.
  20. Falco21

No, Woody Johnson recognizes the biggest hole on this team, outside of QB, is Cornerback and he sees the opportunity to sign the best corner in the league playing at an extremely high level with over $55 million to spend.