If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I only say this because I think Mariota at the 6 is a very slight reach based on his overall value, whereas if we took the absolute BPA (say, Amari Cooper or even Vic Beasley), we would be picking a player who could be the BPA in the entire draft (at the 6th pick) despite not being a Qb.

That being said, I would still choose Mariota at the 6 even if I think he's the 10th best player in the draft this year.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think as long as there is hope for the future, the Jets coaching staff can survive a 4-12 season next year. I don't want that to happen obviously. They are a young FO and CS - they will need time to adapt to their new responsibilities.

If Mariota is OTC @ 6 for the Jets - the real question is, how we will know there is hope for the future when the QB is on the bench? I think if the Jets are in a crappy situation where they are out of playoff contention - they could throw Mariota out there the last 4 games and see what he's got.

Will Mariota be ready by then? Not too sure. Will he provide that hope? A tough question. Never know unless they take a chance. We need to have a strong draft period.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Heh, I'd have to guess that you didn't watch that video all the way through.

101GangGreen101 and Br4d like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He definitely didn't watch it all the way through. Everybody else should though.

5. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

hell no, hell no, hell no.

6. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

And this is why we need to put together a winning football team... look at the Browns for examples, they were able to bench Manziel for 14 weeks or so, because they were winning games and Hoyer was playing fairly well; that's what we need to happen if we draft Mariota orWinston. (I'm not comfortable with Winston starting )

7. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I agree with this post, but there's one poster in this thread who seems to dislike/dislike every Quarterback prospect. .. he made similar statements abot Bridgewater and I'd like to say TBW has played well.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

Which is another reason I favor trading the 6.This roster needs more bodies. And ;et's not forget Mangold and Brick are getting long in the tooth, and we've taken those key positions for granted for far too long.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You can say it. It's Bradway. The QB shitter.

He knows it.

_

10. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I really do not believe that they will take Mariotta based on the recent history of drafting first round Qb's (besides Luck who was clearly a no brainer). The fact that Sanchez, Ponder, Manuel and RGIII are busts is the reason that the new regime will not take a QB with the 6th pick. Mac and Bowles would not last 3 years on the job if they drafted Mariotta and he did not develop. They will not hitch their wagon to a rookie Qb if they were smart, given recent history. Additionally, our defense is excellent and could be an elite one with a few good free agents and draft picks. Speaking of free agents, what premier free agent would want to come here with a rookie Qb?

11. JStokes

So you're suggesting Mariota is a prospect on the level of Sanchez, Ponder and Manuel?

You realize how incredibly well RG3 played his rookie season before he got hurt? I'm not sure the bust book is quite written on him yet.

Btw, MM is as physically gifted as RG3 and seems to be much smarter and has a MUCH better head about him.

_

12. footballfundamentals

@@@@@@@@@@

I am stating that due to recent history that drafting a Qb early in the first round and whiffing is not good for future job security. Part of the issue is the franchises and coaches that they went to. I never said that Marietta is a better or worse prospect.

Regarding RG III, it is known that he is not a very hard worker.

13. JStokes

But you're using awful awful comparisons in Sanchez (very very limited experience in college) and two supremely crappy QBs, Ponder and Manuel, that were drafted WAY too high.

RG3 doesn't have a great work ethic and he is by most accounts not that bright from a football IQ, folks don't know whether he'll ever be able to read defesnes. But you can't deny how well he played as a rookie. His downfall is injuries which is true for every player. Although Mariota could expose himself with his running, his upside trumps that IMHO.

_

14. footballfundamentals

Awful comparisons? Did the Gm's who drafted the 'two supremely crappy Qb's think that they were franchise Qb's at draft time? I am looking at it from a historical perspective.

15. JStokes

I'm not a GM, but in the case of Ponder and Manuel I laughed my ass off when they were drafted.

You realize the flip side of what your are suggesting is that Mariota becomes an elite QB and Bowles and McCag are with the Jets for 15 years.

_

16. JStokes

I guess my point is that none of those 3 QBs were ever anywhere near the prospect Mariota is.

_

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The main concern I have with Mariota is whether he would suit the NY market. He has that Hawaiian layed back vibe going... But his talent makes picking him 6th a no brainer. Especially given how much cap room the Jets have and will be able to address alot of their needs through free-agency.

18. JStokes

I think Eli is a good example of a laid back guy who excels in this environment.

_

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yes I did. I just thought it was pertinent to the discussion.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Can anyone guess what Sanchez, Ponder and Manuel have in common with Winston and but NOT with Mariota?