Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Like it, love it, or hate it, without a doubt our QB for the upcoming season will be Geno Smith.

MacDaddy will (in my opinion) draft another QB in round 3 and bring in the best re-tread vet he can to compete with Geno in training camp. But we will see a repeat of 2014. If Geno shows ANYTHING in camp he will be given the torch. He's ours, he's young, he's cheap, and if there's even a 0.0001% chance of becoming a franchise QB we will not miss out on that possibility just to start a vet who played a tiny bit better in camp. If you don't believe me ask Michael Vick.

Book it.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I disagree, I think it's about 50-50. This FO and CS has no connection to Geno. I thought 75-25 until I read an article that said we made an offer to McCown which leans closer to your theory but I don't see Geno being handed anything.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Look, I have never argued that the guy doesn't have talent. He can, when he gets his feet set, throw a GORGEOUS ball. Stare down an open guy and hit him perfectly in stride. And while I find him an incredibly awkward runner, he has made some plays with his feet. And no one can dispute his toughness. We've all seen it, but it's the highlights that some of these Geno fans are desperately clinging to..."Wow, did you see he dropped a DIME on that throw!!!"

Unfortunately, every QB in the history of the NFL (sans Tebow) has made every throw Geno has made. Sanchez made every throw Geno did and he did in the crucible of the playoffs on the road. Most college QBs and 1000's of HS QBs make those throws too.

There are a million guys that can make gorgeous throws and run around a bit and score a TD.

But if you don't couple those talents with smarts, it's all fools gold.

Does this franchise really want to take a flawed player, give him talented playmakers, dumb down the offense in order to hide his flaws so we hope to luck into a wild card and get summarily knocked out of the playoffs in the first round? Because we hope we can "win" a few games with with him if we do all those things?

Hope is not a strategy.

_

TNJet, MexicanJet, Pocket Jet and 2 others like this.
  4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Damn I love this post...

Pocket Jet likes this.
  5. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

"Does this franchise really want to take a flawed player, give him talented playmakers, dumb down the offense in order to hide his flaws so we hope to luck into a wild card and get summarily knocked out of the playoffs in the first round?"

I say get the talent.

No QB without a talented OL and gamebreaking receivers is going to put up numbers.

Or avoid "dumb" decisions that are primarily based on talent deficiencies around him.

It's exceptionally rare that a good QB has a crappy OL and moribund receivers.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

until you can post the name of a QB on the roster or about to be on the roster with at least a small future with the Jets and able to clearly beat out the incumbent I'm sticking with my theory. Ready.....GO!

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No matter who we start at qb this year hole is our only chance. Start our trash or someone elses because we don't realize it smells ths same yet. But based on this post are you advocating we do nothing on the offensive side because we don't have a qb yet?

8. JStokes

Wait, whut?

I want to add every offensive player we possibly can. I LOVE offense--I realize how important defense is but my predilection is towards offense.

I'm just ranting because I want the Jets to do everything they can to get Mariota or failing that Winston. I want Jalen Strong or Devante Parker in the second round and Melvin Gordon or Ameer Abdulah in the third round and TJ Yeldon or Rashad Greene in the 3rd or 4th (if we don't keep Harvin--more on that later) round and I want Devin Funchess or Phillip Dorsett in ANY round.

I want Spiller and Murray and Percy Harvin and Julias Thomas and Randall Cobb and Torrey Smith and Iupati and Bulaga.

I just don't want to waste all that talent on a flawed dumb player.

_

9. JStokes

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

_

10. JStokes

That is quite something to aspire to.

_

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ok. even if all that happens it doesn't change the fact that we are dealing with a dumbed down offense to open the year. And very likely that we are "wasting" that talent with geno. Accepting that does not mean accepting that kind of qb play forever. Its the hand we are holding right now.

12. JStokes

I'm not arguing that--I'm resigned to the fact that Geno is most likely the starter this year.

Doesn't mean (i) I have to like it or (ii) I can't bitch and whine about it on a message board :D

_

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Funchess? You gotta be kidding me. He's a hybrid Stephen Hill and Jeff Cumberland. I wouldn't touch that stiff with a 7th round pick.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. JStokes

Go with me on this one.

_

15. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Don't worry about what others believe words mean. Learn what they actually mean and then offer intelligent opinions based primarily on your own wit and intellect.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If true Mac will be sitting next to Idzik next year in the Jags commissary.

17. JStokes

My own intelligent and informed opinion from watching Geno all through college and his 2 years with the Jets is that if anyone thinks Geno's deficiencies come PRIMARILY from anything other than Geno's own faults, then he is a moron.

Therefore I don't think anyone who believes that Geno's deficiencies--even tangentially--are on anyone other than Geno, he has no idea what the word "primarily" means.

We good now?

I thought so.

_

18. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'd rather a journeyman, stopgap QB at the helm this season, since we aren't going anywhere. I'm sick of this guy behind center.

If we draft a QB in a late round, I hope it's Petty. If we take one at 6, I hope It's the Duck.

19. JStokes

+1

+1.5

+10000000

_

20. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

No, see, you don't think. You just take the simplistic criticism route.

So no, we aren't good, actually. Nor was the Jets receiver corps or its OL.

When, and only when, the Jets shore up their OL and their receiver corps will any QB judgment have merit.

But, let's face it, I know what your simplistic opinion is and you know what my nuanced one is. It's probably a waste to time for you to tell me that I don't know what "primarily" means and it's probably a waste for me to say "look beyond the simplistic" to you.