If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The same was once said about Ryan Leaf.....just sayin'

And Colt McCoy...

And...not that correlation means much, but whats the track record of Heisman winning QB's in the NFL?

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Come on man. First of all, there is no comparison in my opinion between Ryan Leaf and Mariota. Mariota is a very natural talent that exhibits many traits that will translate to the NFL. Second, just because previous Heisman QBs have a bad rep, doesn't mean that one will never break that mantra. Winston and Mariota will both break it

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mariota could turn into a scared deer in the headlights pretty easily when he has to read a defense for the first time in his life. He hasn't had to do that at Oregon. Like Geno most of the plays were one read action. The difference is that Mariota took off with the ball when the one read wasn't open.

The one flaw that his coaches saw in him last year was a tendency to stay with the one read too long and make throws that shouldn't have been made. That's a classic problem with a spread option QB. When you design plays to get one guy wide open and then he's not open you have moments of risk in an offense that otherwise is pretty risk free. In the NFL those guys aren't going to be wide open. He's going to have to anticipate and throw them open. He's going to have to hit his second and third reads now and then.

When you hear the critiques of Mariota now the word "anticipation" is high in all of them. That's because he hasn't had to do that in Oregon's Spread.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So whatever we do, NEVER draft a QB that has won the Heisman.

Right?

You realize Peyton came in second in the Heisman and Luck came in second TWICE.

So should we only draft QBs that came in second?

Maybe we should look at guys who have never been top 5 in the Heisman vote?

Apparently winning the Heisman causes QBs to fail in the NFL.

_

5. JStokes

Mike Florio said this am on Boomer and Carton that he is not convinced TB is taking Winston and instead will take take Mariota.

Said they will play it coy but ultimately they will go with Mariota because of the concerns TB will have with Winston's lack of athleticism. It's one thing to be able to avoid DEs running after you in college but in the pros a whole different story. His 40 time was worse than Peyton Mannings, his jumps and agility drills were awful. Not my words, his.

Maybe Winston WILL be available at 6.

_

6. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

If TB does that, and that is the true reasoning, then they are idiots. If they want to pass on him because of the off field issues, that's one thing, but being concerned about a QBs 40 time ?

7. lockgang

lockgang Member

Stokes, c'mon man. Why would TB need to be coy about this? They have the #1 pick, they don't need to hide anything or trick anyone from taking their guy. I'm very high on Mariota but Winston is going #1. Just look at what TB said about Winston; imo, they're not playing any games. I'm surprised that it took the combine, the freaking combine, for people to realize how good he was. The post-combine trade up for WInston thread is just, embarrassing (no offense Falcao!) because we don't have a shot at him.

8. JStokes

Dude.

_

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

40 time, no not really, but agility drills are important for QB

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where did you see the bolded sentence? I haven't seen /heard that anywhere. He's not an option QB. You're making yourself look really bad and losing credibility. It's obvious you don't like Mariota, but you're really stretching to try to come up with things to discredit him, and you're wrong.

As for anticipation, I don't think he'll have many problems adjusting. It's not rocket science, and he's a very smart young man with an extremely high football IQ. I'm sure that he has watched NFL games and realizes that he's going to have to anticipate throws and make adjustments to the way he plays the game. I'm sure he'll have some times early on where he vapor locks and plays out of habit, but with patience on the part of whoever drafts him, they will have a franchise QB.

BleedGreen89 and HAYN like this.
  11. Hobbes3259

No, Just not Mariota.

And to your point, they came in SECOND, they didn't win.

You could have pointed to Staubach and Plunkett...they did win Super Bowls, but...

Hmmm...is that Mariota's draft profile, or Geno Smiths?

As I said, go watch the National Championship game.

Forget beating up on 2-10 PAC opponents.

Watch him in THAT game.

Then go watch Draft Day, this is that scenario ironically enough.

12. Hobbes3259

Scott Frost calls a shitload of option plays...Yes Mariota does run option, and in the face of a good D, doesn't make the right choice often enough.

13. Hobbes3259

Is he worth the potential headaches once he starts banking those checks?

14. Hobbes3259

He did turn into one. Against tOSU, in the biggest game of his life, to date.

He is Sanchez without the Balls.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

God I hope TB passes on him. What idiots they'd be.

Tom Brady ran a 40 in the 5's. Tony Romo ran the same 40 as Winston.

To base that on choosing him is ridiculous. I'm all for it though lol

Let TB pass on him, then trade up to number 3 or 4 and take him.

16. JStokes

So don't pick Heisman winners because that troph causes you to fail in the pros.

Except when they didn't fail.

It's a stupid metric.

Oh yeah, and I watched the Nat Champ game.

I'm running up to the dais with the MM card.

_

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Scott Frost said it after the California game. The link is somewhere in the draft forum, I *think* legler82 posted it but I might be wrong.

What Frost said essentially is that Mariota has a tendency to lock in on his receiver and try to throw him open when there really isn't a pass there. He said those should be throwaways most of the time but Mariota tries to make them.

This is going to be a big issue at the NFL level because incompletes and tight completions, which is what those turned into for Mariota at Oregon, are going to be picks at the NFL level.

This also highlights the offense Mariota is trying to make the adjustment from because Frost said something about making the throw to the receiver who is 5 yards open not trying to force it too him when he's covered. Nobody is going to get 5 yards open regularly at the NFL level against man coverage. That just doesn't happen very often.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. Locking onto a receiver is never good. Lots of QBs have that habit coming out of college. Some are able to break that habit, while others are not.

The part I bolded is not necessarily a bad thing as long as he hasn't locked onto the receiver previously and his accuracy is good enough. NFL QBs do that all the time, throwing to the back shoulder, on sideline routes throwing it so only the receiver has a shot at the ball, when they throw it low or throw comeback routes.

As I said, I think Mariota will have some bumps and hard knocks early, but his football IQ is too high and he's too smart to not learn and make the necessary adjustments. There are other QBs in this and other drafts, where those things would mean passing on the QB, but not it Mariota's case, imo. He has too much going for him, and does too many other things well, and is too talented. Mark my words...if the Jets have a chance to draft Mariota at #6 and pass on him, they will regret it and Mac will go down in infamy with Jets fans for that fatal faux pas. If that happens, I'm not sure he gets another chance to draft or pass on a top-rated QB.

19. Hobbes3259

It's not a metric, and I said as much.

But beating up on the Pac 12, and a joke of an FSU team, then folding....early and often, against a better than average defense is not a good sign.
    Some resume.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pac+12+football

20. JStokes