Reflecting a Heart Breaking Four Years and Where We Go From Here....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Um ... says who? We just hired, literally, a nobody as the new GM ... and a guy who's never been a head coach before as head coach. Nobody could perform worse than Idzik, but there's nothing to suggest the new regime is superior to any of the recent previous regimes (Rex, Mangini, Tannenbaum) other than hope.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

My term for the new people in place is same pages new cover but it gives fans some sought of "hope" when actually if U analyze the present NYJs U will see new cover but same old pages now be guided by a rookie HC & GM. I think all should watch the beginning of the film Draft Day as it describes what a fan is really & truly is:mad:

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well Champ, we at least have hope that with a new leadership, there will be different result. Perhaps even BETTER results. Without hope of better days, what's the point of rooting for the team?

4. Cman68

Judging by your avatar, I see you're adverse to change of any kind so I won't argue the uniform point with you except to say that IF that uniform brought back fond memories of glorious SB victories and such, I wouldn't even have brought the point up. Instead, that uniform reminds ME that its been almost 50 years since this team has played in a SB and not once in the modern era. There are plenty of examples of a uniform change bringing a change of attitude to a franchise. Denver, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, Rams, Giants and the Patriots come to mind. Now, even Cleveland is changing their logo. Consistency works better when it breeds success since you can just as easily be consistently bad. Reinforcing those failures with the same image doesn't help. After 50 years, it may be time to change the uniform and helmets. We have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it a try.

#64 Cman68, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. Unhappyjetsfan

You embarrass yourself when you suggest that wearing different uniforms had any effect on these teams' performances.

I'll make a deal with you: If Cleveland wins the Super Bowl this year, I'll argue for a Jets uniform change until it happens. But if Cleveland does not win the Super Bowl this year, you have to admit that uniforms have absolutely nothing to do with a team's performance and never advocate for a Jets uniform change again. Deal?

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm the opposite, I was a teenager/early 20s when we stunk in the mid 90s and I took it harder back then. I hate losing but I guess getting older and having kids changes how seriously you take this stuff. I still take it way more seriously than I should(I think we all fall into that category) but I was a loon(a bigger one) in those days.

7. nyjunc

that play changed that game and the seasons for both teams around.

Bill Belichdouche likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wow!:)

9. Cman68

The only embarrassment I can see here is the guy with Michelle Ryan and Mark Sanchez in his avatar long after Rex is the coach of the Siberia Bills. That speaks to an obvious fear of change of any sort. Uniform change didn't hurt any of the teams I mentioned so again, where is the embarrassment? The Jets would kill for the kind of success the Patriots, the Broncos, even the Giants have had since their uniforms were updated. Can you imagine if the Bucs still were wearing their orange "Bruce the Buccaneer" unis?

I must have missed all those SB appearances over the last 46 years since these "classic" unis have been in play. Some people just refuse to embrace change and I cannot change minds as that is a character issue. Changing a uniform doesn't necessarily mean instant wins, but it does represent a break with the past and a new view of the present and future. If there's any team in professional sports that needs to break with its past, that would be the New York Jets.

Oh, and don't hold your breath waiting for the Patriots to go back to the Jim Plunkett era unis or the Broncos going back to the Elway unis. I highly doubt if the Giants go back to the YA Tittle unis either. Classic only counts when its associated with something positive. The Cowboys, Packers, Colts (Manning years and now Luck), the Steelers, bears, et al. They all have successful legacies to refer back to so I get it. Hell, even the Cowboys updated their unis. and so did the Lions.

What do the New York Jets have? 1969 and that's all folks..

Woody had the courage to ignore the flat earth contingent of his fanbase and change the entire face of the franchise. I applaud his courage since as with most change, courage is the most important part of it. Being willing to do something new and different as opposed to clinging to a questionable and sketchy past.

If those 1969 unis make you feel nice and comfy, so be it. Like I said, to me, they represent a past that should both be ackowledged and put in mothballs. Its 2015, not 1969. Time has moved on and its high time the Jets moved on from Joe Namath and the immortal '69 Jets. Time for a new legacy for this franchise. We already started that change by firing the HC and the entire FO.

We could keep driving the 46 year old car too except that it hasn't run very well since 1969. Must be that leaded gasoline.

#69 Cman68, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  10. Cman68

Junc, you were a loon once? Cmon... I find that hard to believe man. :)

11. nyjunc

shocking, I know.:D

12. Cman68

Junc the hellraiser? Wow... I'm trying to picture that and I keep coming up blank... :)

13. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

Rex didn't give two sh$ts about offense. Enough said. Tebow....Sporano.....really!! A good HC would never have allowed this.

14. Unhappyjetsfan

So does that mean you won't take my offer?

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My serious level peaked around 1998-2004. The 2005 season allowed me to take a step back as it was brutal and I was starting to get older. Of course I agree we all still take it too serious. Haha.

The worst moment for me was actually not Doug Brien's missed field goals (which was crushing) but actually the Ravens game earlier that year with Lamont Jordan's INT. After the game I literally went in my room, laid in my bed, and did not move until Tuesday. I think the worst kind of losses are the ones that can be completely prevented. That game was a perfect example.

nyjunc likes this.
  16. Cman68

Nope.. There's no point to it. A complete waste of time and effort. BTW, quote me correctly or don't bother.

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Hard to believe you won't take the deal ... I mean, you've already established that the Browns should be superhuman with their new logo and brighter orange helmets. How could any other team in the league possibly compete?

Also, I wasn't quoting you; I was directing my reply to you.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I have news to you. Player signings are done by the GM, not the coach. And it's not like we've had tons of applicants for the OC position.

19. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Why should anyone take a bet from someone that constantly moves the goalposts?

20. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

On offense Rex was all about putting stuff in there that he as a DC/HC didn't want to play against, hence his love to the wildcat and Tebow. If you think Rex didn't sign off on Tebow then...well you're wrong.

Regarding Sporano, Rex shouldn't have let Shotty go if Sporano was his best option. Sorry but Rex was simply out of his depth when it came to the NYJ offense. If you blame the fans or the GM for Shotty/Sporano then again you're just wrong. The OC is the HC's call, not the fans and not the GM.

Walt White likes this.