Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Smith has sucked ass but why should I want to replace him with an almost equally sucky veteran. I'd rather lose with a 24 year old that can make all the throws necessary and is athletic vs. losing with a very limited potential, failed starter that is 30ish+ (like Moore, like Fitzpatrick, like Shaun Hill, like Hoyer, Etc.)

johnnysd likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I assume you mean TeBOT like, but yes. It has parallels.

3. BrowningNagle

I understand looking for better options but in many ways this is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Bringing in competition is one thing but people act like these guys would be an upgrade or that they'd need to see them than Geno Smith.

Vick is a sizable better QB than those mentioned in this thread (Moore, Fitzpatrick, Hill, Hoyer)... Its a different conversation with a guy at that level.

4. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I understand, the problem is your seeing no growth in geno. The thought I assume is get a guy who won't turn the ball over 3x a game and build your team then find your qb of the future. It's impossible to evaluate your team when qb play and the offense in general is that bad.. Defense is on the field to long, always playing from behind.. It's a myriad of things.

Genos play has been that bad, there looking to give up on him going into his 3rd year,even funnier prior to his draft he was projected as possibly 1st overall pick. I don't think theses guys from spread offenses translate into the nfl well. Watching geno makes me want nothing to do with Mariota.

To your point, Moore, fitz, hoyer aren't great, they think geno is that bad. For christsake they just said on nfl insiders the jets biggest priority should be signing mccown. Lol if that doesn't tell you what the sentiment is around the league about geno, i don't know what does.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. chris5533

Vick is a sizable better QB than those mentioned in this thread (Moore, Fitzpatrick, Hill, Hoyer)... Its a different conversation with a guy at that level.[/QUOT

You lost me on this... We had vick here and he admitted he was unprepared to play. I don't think Vicks got anything left.

6. BrowningNagle

maybe, maybe not. The not being prepared to play thing was embarrassing, yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with his talent, which prior to 2014 and probably still today is at a higher level than those other guys

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You don't have to get one of those two guys. If Mariota is there at 6 imo you draft him. No guarantees either of those guys are going to be a franchise Qb. Mettenberger in the long run could end up being the best of the bunch out of last year's draft even though both Teddy and Carr had good rookie years. So you could draft a guy later and get lucky. They took a chance on Geno who was a good value where he was selected and so far it hasn't worked out. Don't get me wrong I'm still unwilling to get rid of him yet and it's not impossible that after 30 mostly bad starts he won't see the light. I don't believe you have to have a franchise Qb to win and go to the SB. Historically most of the teams playing in the SB have had good starting Qbs but there are exceptions to that rule. But you do at the least need a good game manager. I'm not a believer in putting too many of your resources into the QB position. It's the most important position but you need a good center, Dbs, etc.

8. chris5533

He's been on the downside since his mvp type season in 2011. I think all qb options are different variations of bad, that's the problem I see. There not a guy to be excited about. Brady Quinn is making a comeback that's how awful the qb situation is n the nfl.

9. BrowningNagle

I'm not sure its true that we are seeing no growth in Smith but even if its so, it was under only one staff, only one system.(and one staff that didn't have the greatest track record with working with young QBs).

Lets see how he looks with new guidance and a new system that he may feel more comfortable in, before we decide he is drastically worse than the bums mentioned in this thread that have failed under multiple systems, multiple staffs and multiple situations.

FJF likes this.
  10. chris5533

No one on this board wants geno to be bad.. Seems like he is, you have a point, rex strengths were not developing qbs. With that said, it's a business and the new guys don't want there jobs on the line because of geno. For all the awful, moronic things idzik did.. Had geno developed year 2. Went 20/10 3000 yards. He's still here(idzik). Lol that's how vital qb is. I don't see theses guys hitching there wagon to smith, if there gonna go down, they are going to go down on there own terms.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

No matter what Geno will be on the team next year and will most likely be competing for the starting job baring a miracle. He holds no trade value but is still very young and under contract, a cheap contract at that.

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think the Jet's will take a long term approach to fixing the QB problem this offseason. Keep Geno, possibly draft an arm and sign Hoyer. Let them duke it out. They aren't going to f with this pick.

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

There's a Burger King in town that I hear is looking for people to hire.....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He graduated from WVU not Emerson. Be reasonable....

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Bingo. As a UFA, he can choose anywhere he wants, and he'd definitely have an opportunity to start. That said, our offense is a tough sell (especially compared to HOU, which Johnson, Hopkins, and Foster), but if he'd be a great option for the Jets, especially if we're going to lose out on Winston and Mariota (although we won't be able to tell because FA opens well in advance of the draft).

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Ouch. Holy fuck lol.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Janitor at East Rutherford high school?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. [Better than Geno] doesn't mean Jets should go after that dude. Steaming pile of goat turd sitting at the sideline will have TD/INT ratio of exactly 0/0, and it beats out Geno too. [Geno is in the red in his career, mind you. Turd is at even. Turd wins.]

2. Jets should stop throwing green rookies to the wolves. If they do it again, they would have done that same stupid bullshit for three times in the past decade, and you all will know how that will end.

3. I know it sucks to see Geno starting for the team next season - trust me. It makes my stomach turn - but if that's for the better [so the next QB can get ready when he takes the field] I am willing to take that. That's all I am saying. I repeat [in bold - as some people seem to have very hard time understanding this very simple concept] -

THERE IS NO ANSWER FOR THE SHORT TERM SUCCESS, THUS IT WOULD BE SENSIBLE TO BUILD FOR THE LONG TERM ANSWER WHILE AT IT.

If they somehow stumble onto the top tier QB through FA or whatever - fine. I'd be buying lottery ticket before I would believe that bullshit.

19. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I am not a huge Geno fan. I am completely OK with going a different direction When you take Rex into account, and general skill set I think none of the FA retreads are an upgrade. I think it is critical to draft at least one QB. But I would rather see Geno's development under a real coaching staff then bringing in a cappy journeyman

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

As bad as those guys are, some of them have at least displayed a basic comprehension that they understand the Basic Concept of ball protection.
    I've seen enough of Geno. I'll be surprised if he has the career of the guys you mentioned

NYJetsO12 and No Fly Zone like this.