Geno's Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I can definitely see Geno being at least somewhat competent in Gailey's spread with Cooper/Decker/Kerley & Ivory. It'll be more familiar to him as the system he ran in college. I honestly don't think he was as horrible this year as most people made it seem and he showed promise. His main fault was that he choked late in games early in the season which took the team out of contention. Seeing as we aren't going to contend this year anyway, I'd be fine giving him the first half-3/4 of the season.

Draft Petty/Hundley in the 3rd or 4th round. Sit him behind Geno and develop. If Geno is awful, give him some game experience towards the end of the year. If he's treading water, sit the rookie the whole year then let him compete in 2016. By then the team should be better equipped to accommodate a rookie and the QB will be more NFL ready (they're both projects at the moment).

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

To be fair, no QB in the NFL is gonna hang onto the ball if he holds it the way Geno did on that fumble week 17 in Miami. ("Like a loaf of bread")

[​IMG]

3. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Rodger's hands are 9.38 so about 9 1/3 inches. Geno's are 9.25, so 9 1/4 and bigger than Romo and Kaepernick's hands. Geno loses control of the ball because he doesn't hold it securely enough but there are ball-handling QBs who have smaller hands and are elite or close to it.

#83 elgoman, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Geno's future:
    [​IMG]

6. Scoop24

Scoop24 Member

I wouldn't pass on a Top QB Prospect for him Winston .. That being said Marriota is pretty much gonna have the same growing pains as Geno coming from the Spread . So I have no problem continuing development on Geno and Drafting Someone like Kevin White , Cooper, Fowler, Gregory somebody that can come in and Start and help from Day 1.. I could Understand Bowles not wanting to restart the development process he is from the Parcells tree coaching after all and Bill has a track record of avoiding Rookie QB's. So signing a Vet and Keeping Geno is extremely likely. But if Geno is your guy going forward you probably want to give him some pieces ie: WR,OG, RB Spiller lol ect..

#86 Scoop24, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

If Smith is your guy going forward, I have to assume you know very little about football.

mgjetman22 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think we should count him out. Some players it takes longer to develop than others.

At the same time, you have to look at the whole picture and that last game shouldn't even be of focus, just like the last 4 games in 13. Looking at the big picture it's not promising so they should look to upgrade.

But he has workable pieces and hopefully it clicks for the kid. No reason to cut him right now and this organization for once should consider letting QBs play their way onto the field instead of handing jobs out like RR. Acquire who you can and let them battle it out. That's about all you can ask for. If Geno Smith can beat out their best effort acquisition I would support the decision to play him, but as of Feb '15 it doesn't look like he would beat out a capable acquisition.

TonyMaC likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mark Sanchez had a hand span of 10 1/2 inches.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

He was horrible. He was one of, if not the worst, starter in the entire league.

And why can't the Jets contend this year? There are no such things as throw away years in the NFL. With competent QB play and some luck, any roster can win 9 games and push for a playoff spot.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Well I'm fairly confident that if Geno is the starting QB going into next season, than he earned it without a doubt. Current management has no ties to Geno so I doubt they will have any issue benching him if he isn't proving he can handle it.

If Winston is the pick, than I'd imagine Geno is backup at best. Winston will probably step in and be the starter immediately.

If Mariota is the pick, than Geno could easily start while Mariota learns the NFL game for a year or two. I think I'd rather see what Geno can do with a different OC. At least as opposed to a Hoyer/Shaun Hill type QB.

FJF likes this.
  12. Big Blocker

I have no ability to remember the last time I agreed with Jcass, if I ever have. So why should today be any different? In reverse order:

The OC and Smith. I get as a matter of politics that the recently departed OC is not a popular person on the team's message board. But I have failed to see a single plausible argument presented, and of course I did not see htis in watching the games myself, that says in effect that Marty was responsible for Smith being a shitty Qb. Not one.

So why do we think Gailey will take a shitty Qb and make him into a good one? Can't think of any good reason, other than Smith apologists just wanting to put off the inevitable day when Smith is no longer even a candidate for being the Jets' Qb.

Mariota. If the Jets somehow get Mariota, there is no good reason to leave Smith as the starter until Mariota is ready. Get a vet Qb to hold that fort is the much better alternative. The Jets have plenty of cap space, and with some good moves and a good draft, they can be competitive in the coming year. Bringing back SMith as the starter means they will not be competitive no matter waht other moves are made. No reason to pour a fifth season in a row down the toilet.

If Smith is the starter on Opeining Day, it will mean the new FO could find no better alternatives and nothing more than that. That would be partly a function of too many unappetizing alternatives, but it would not speak well about their competence, either. Smith is awful and has to go.

I get the point that his contract does not require him to be cut. But that's as far as we can go in saying anything positive about him and his situation.

13. jcass10

Fair enough. I disagree, but like you said, that's to be expected.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I disagree with you on this. For one, it has been reported that Marty's offensive system is very complex and Geno was thrown into this offense without any preseason reps with the starters from day 1. He was never considered to be well groomed coming out of college. Additionally, Chan Gailey likes the shotgun, something he has in common with Geno's play-style so I wouldn't count out the possibly of Geno benefiting from this scheme change.

If Smith is the starter next year it doesn't mean that the Jets FO is incompetent either. If we can't get Winston or Mariota, we have a bunch of JAGs that are left in free agency. Sure, they will bring in someone to compete, but if Geno wins that battle then thats fine. You cant move heaven and earth to get a good QB when there simply isn't one.

Lastly Smith is still young, and I would prefer him over an aging vet simply to hold the fort for a year when they probably won't make the playoffs again anyway. If Geno sucks again then at least we get a good draft pick and we haven't got any more doubts about this guys playing ability.

But by all means tell me how Matt Moore is gonna light it up for us next season...

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree with a lot of this. Pretty much everything. Wow

--Morningwood was not responsible for Geno Smith's struggles, yes, but at the same time anyone who watched this team can realize that Smith in Morningwood's offense was not a good fit. A QB who struggles with fundamentals in a WCO that is predicated on fundamentals from the QB? no wonder it got ugly. Couple that with a HC that was terrible at understanding/developing QBs.. yikes.

--Gailey has made plenty of less talented & flawed QBs look better than they are. (a young Kordell Stewart who at the time had just played rb/wr role and was in his 1st season as a full time QB, a Jay Fiedler who at the time was a journeyman backup, a Ryan Fitzpatrick also a journeyman backup...) Geno Smith is just as flawed as those guys were when Gailey was able to get them to perform at a level they hadn't before, and in some cases he has arguably more raw talent. To say it's possible Gailey could do the same with Smith isn't just being "a Smith apologist just wanting to put off...yada yada.."

--Smith is what? 24 years old? And a player that most everyone agreed was coming into this league raw that could've used some time to develop. At the same time, the last couple years have been rough on many young QBs, similar to the history of the league outside of the short stretch a handful of years ago where rookies/young QBs burst onto the scene. Defenses are slowly catching up.

Having said the above, it is definitely not unreasonable to suggest that he could bounce back. IF he turns it around and wins the job in TC you will undoubtedly say it's because "there are no better alternatives" no matter what- I think that's clear from your posts/vendettas but what if he just legitimately turns it around and beats the competition?

16. Big Blocker

To be expected, but ftr you have not offered a single reason why we should expect more of the relationship with Gailey instead of Marty.

17. jcass10

Quite honestly, I don't care to debate the Jets with you. Convincing you to agree with my opinions is not something I concern myself with. There is a reason 2 more posters below mine disagreed with you as well.

Ever notice I only respond to you when you respond to me first?

18. Big Blocker

Marty in fact tried a variety of approaches with Smith. It was not pure WCO by any stretch. And while I am happy to see Ryan go, the irony here is that Bowles has no track record as an HC because he's never been one, so why should we assume the Gailey/Bowles match will do better than before? To be clear I thought Ryan's big mistake in running the O was hiring Sparano, but that was before Smith came to NY. I don't think Ryan had any direct negative influence on Smith's play.

As for what you said about Gailey, much could also be said about Marty improving Qb's. An obvious case was Michael Vick, who was a superior Qb in Philly compared to Atlanta, and who on top of that successfully learned to play the position differently and more effectively. And while it was only one year, Foles had started to show promise working with Marty, and Foles was a third round pick while Smith was a second rounder.

And I never said Smith cannot bounce back. I was taking issue with the notoin we should be happy if Smith is the opening day starter, implicitly without hte Jets having brought in someone who might upgrade the position this off season. Doing that is not the same as thinking Smith might improve as it is saying we are going to count on him improving substantially or we'll just accept another shit season.

19. Big Blocker

And they offered reasons, which I have just countered. It's called a discussion, unlike you who just posts homer posts and doesn't want to explain or defend them.

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't get how everyone but Geno gets the blame for him sucking big time.

From everything that has come out about last season it seems both Rex and Marty were forced to use Smith. Its not just the WCO that is a problem for a QB with a glaring lack of fundamentals its EVERY system that's a problem. While Geno is used to a 1 read offense in college that system doesn't work in the NFL so there is no reason to dumb down the play book for the sake of Geno when Marty and Rex and trying to win games. Marty did have to design plays with "fewer" reads than a real NFL QB but not make it so simplistic that the opposing D knew what was coming. Geno couldn't handle it, he gets the blame, not Marty imho.

Gailey arguably hasn't made any QB good but its hard to judge the guy based on what he's had to work with. I'm not convinced he can "save" Geno. None of Stewart, Fiedler or Fitzpatrick have become NFL caliber QB's. Fitzpatrick couldn't hold off other QB's on bad teams. Geno fits right in with this group so until I see him making a bad QB good I think we can't assume that he will turn Geno around. No one else was knocking on Gailey's door, the guy has been out of the league 3 years for a reason.

Geno was a 3 year player coming out of college. In 2 years in the NFL the guy still hasn't learned basic QB skills. The most positive thing we can say is that he has the arm to make the throws. Couple that with a 2 cent head and you've got a hot mess. Miracles do happen but there is 5 years of tape on this guy that says he is what he is and will always be just that, nothing special.

What is Geno bouncing back from? I'm still waiting for him to show any sign of NFL caliber skills.

If the coaching staff determines that Geno isn't good (not much debate there) why wouldn't they want to look into a Matt Moore, Shaun Hill etc. to hold the fort until they can get a good QB? Woody in his own elf like way made it clear this move (replacing the GM and HC) was about winning and they haven't won enough to keep either on board for 2015. The same holds true at QB. Geno isn't good enough to be a starter, why waste more time trying to teach a one read guy how to get up to entry level QB skills when there are others out there that can at least perform at that level and allowing the CS to game plan to win instead of baby sit a QB?