How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

His receiver corp was Saalim Hakim (0 games started 2014), Santonio Holmes (2 GS 2014), Jeremy Kerley (7 GS 2014), David Nelson (5 GS 2014), Greg Salas (2 GS 2014), Jeff Cumberland (14 GS 2014) and Kellen Winslow (0 GS 2014). Keeping that in mind, Geno's performance was closer to "pretty damn impressively" than just merely "ok".

#721 Laszlo Kovacs, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Laszlo Kovacs

It's easy to see now in hind sight, but at the time it looked like he got exposed when he faced a descent defense for the first time. I don't remember reading anything about the injury before Carr went public about it himself.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

_

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's really been kind of terrible for most of the two years he's played. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he could find himself and become a good player but it's very unlikely at this point. He's got many of the physical tools necessary to become a good QB but he hasn't shown the ability to run a pro offense at all. A couple of great games in two years, both against teams in trouble at the time, aren't enough to think that he can do anything like that on a regular basis and that's what he needs to do to start in the NFL.

5. Laszlo Kovacs

Every Jets fan is aware of this - and it's so frustrating. He has been terrible for the majority of the games he has played, but then in the end of the seasons he has these games when there is like this break trough the clouds and you can see the high potential he has.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the breakthroughs are illusory. I think they've mostly been against demoralized defenses on bad teams at the end of the two seasons. The Fins were 6-4 at one point this year and really in the playoff hunt and then they lost 3 out of 5 before they played us and were eliminated by week 17.

It would be nice to see Geno really take a step up over the off-season but if the Jets are counting on that the odds are we will be unhappy with the QB play next season.

Just to highlight the first point: The Fins gave up 39, 13, 28, 41, 35 and 37 points in their last 6 games. The 13 came against a team that decided to run the ball 49 times against them.

I don't want Geno to fail at all but I just don't see a likely path forward for him at this point. He's got to make the leap because if he's just following Chan Gailey's coaching the improvements he makes are only going to cover half the problem.

You either own the QB position fully or your team should be looking for another QB.

#726 Br4d, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/how-far-could-teddy-bridgewater-slip.80151/#post-2934062

Posted Jan 24th of last year... it's understandable you would have missed it.

Well, Carr injured his left shoulder or collarbone in the 1st quarter, not sure if you remember that. It was on the 11th pass play (3rd drive). He missed badly on some touch passes after that. He kept his accuracy on the hard throws, though.

I think USC had a great game plan on defense as well, in addition to that elevated level of competition that you mentioned. They sold out against the pass because they knew Fresno couldn't run on their front 4. Dion Bailey (who played an incredible game) was up on the line of scrimmage but out towards the wideouts to shut down the screens (read: Fresno's running game). He also blanketed Isaiah Burse. Burse was embarrassing that game. Fresno St passed 55 times and ran 6 times that game. USC knew they were 1-dimensional and had the athletes to stop it.

That being said Fresno had a bunch of drops that game as well, including three consecutive plays in the third quarter.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Steve,

I've said it before, but I'm really glad you post here. You make a lot of great contributions and are a good guy.

CleveSteve likes this.
  9. Laszlo Kovacs

CleveSteve likes this.