Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If you're going to make an outrageous statement prove it then.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If you won't lie, cheat and steal for the Patriots organization they disown you. Now you know the reason those two ex-NEP stooges on NFLN Evans and McGinness on the air keep giving their Col. Klink answers when asked about it.

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Why is it outrageous to question how the Colts like the PSI in their footballs? Aaron Rogers has already said he likes his over the 13.5 psi and gets upset when the refs take air out of them.

And if you don't know this already then you are clearly too uninformed to argue anything.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again where is the link to verify your side's contention that the ref would customize pressure in balls within legal limits by a team's preference. I want to see that.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He also said the majority of QB's prefer less PSI. No quotes about Andrew Luck preferring over inflated balls? Who cares, let's assume he does (even though most dont) since it makes us feel smart.

6. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan Member

It's now common knowledge that the legal range is 12.5 to 13.5, that each team controls its own set of balls pre-game to "prep" them, and then submits them to the ref to be approved. The refs are then supposed to certify that the balls are within that legal range, and it's up to the ref to adjust the pressure as necessary to get within that range. What about that process do you doubt?

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Common knowledge doesn't hack it. There is nothing in the rule book allowing teams to change air pressure which means deflating balls which the Patriots denied they did. A team can't choose their favorite air pressure after being presented the balls. Prepping the balls does not include deflating them. If I'm wrong I'll admit it. But where's the proof on that. Link please. And not that fucking joke The Boston Globe.

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Oh my god...no way you are for real.

Congratulations on the trolling

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Yeah troll, I'm trolling my team's board. You're a moron. Again where's the link saying a team can legally deflate game balls. And that it's an ok part of prepping.

10. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan Member

What are you talking about? The choice each team has of 12.5 to 13.5 psi is only up to the point of the ref approving the balls. After that, nobody can inflate or deflate the balls. The larger point was that NE could have had the balls legally inflated to 12.5 and Indy to 13.5. That was what you weren't getting before.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Each team gets the balls and then gives them back to the league office. Then about 3 hours before the game they are
    tested and reinflated by the Ref. There is nothing I could find online on teams choosing the psi level of the balls for the game. This theory that the Colts started the game with heavier balls is just a pipe dream and a joke. Where's the proof. Plus NEP balls were still under spec.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You guys are making up a story that is so far out it is impossible to believe. There's about as much chance of that happening as the Jets winning the SB next year. None! Not that I'm surprised you'd make up this kind of bullshit. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's borderline lying or to put it another way cheating. Just like your heroes, Kraft and BB.

#4552 pclfan, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan Member

The process as I've seen it explained is that each team preps their set of balls, which includes inflating them to their desired psi, which should be between 12.5 and 13.5. When the ref inspects them, if he gets any balls that are outside of that range, he's supposed to correct that, with no penalties or anything involved, just a routine adjustment.

Belichick said in his presser that they enclosed a note to the ref to set the psi to 12.5, which I interpreted to mean that "if any of the balls are not within the range, then please inflate them to 12.5". That's the part where the team can request/specify what psi level they want if a ball is found to be out of the legal range.

What's surfaced in all the hubbub is credible sources saying that the ref usually just checks psi by giving the balls a squeeze test; i.e., the psi isn't really tracked that precisely via gauge. The ref usually just approves all the balls so long as they're not obviously out of range to the touch. Aaron Rodgers (via Jim Nantz) said he supplies overinflated balls and hopes the ref doesn't catch it, and also the ball boy for the Bears said the refs usually just squeeze them.

Once the ref approves them, he marks the balls as inspected, and after that the teams are not to inflate or deflate. However during the game a ball can become out of range and it's up to the ref to correct that ball in mid game.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again link. Where does it say in the rule book that a team can tell the Ref the psi they prefer. I read about game ball prep and it didn't say that. You're assuming a lot. All of it to build a case that is beyond ridiculous.

#4554 pclfan, Feb 20, 2015
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

the ball boy from the bears is the only one I've read that said the refs sometimes just squeeze them. it sounds like you've referenced him twice in this post, once in the plural as "credible sources". so either disclose your credible sources or stop pumping the bears ball boy up like he's a legion of grand poobah's of the NFL. at the very least please stop referring to him like he's multiple people.

you also failed to acknowledge that the league has said the balls were in fact properly tested with a gauge prior to the game in question despite the bears ballboy of yesteryear believing having seen otherwise on occasion in the past.

#4555 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Feb 20, 2015
    RuJFan likes this.
  16. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

All I know is spring and summer are on the way and so isn't sitting in the summer sunshine watching the new, improved World Champions practice at Foxboro.
    Ooh eeh, it doesn't get any better than that!
    You can have Russell and Luck and Sanchez and Geno and all the other washed up and washed down n'er do wells.
    I will take my man Tommy.
    Tommy, Tommy, Tommy baby.
    3 time MVP Sooper Dooper Bowl!
    World Champions of the entire Global Planetoid.
    Oh man...I'm feeling faint just drinking it all in.

17. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

There isn't a rule in the rule book about it. It's kind of like eating at the mess hall at Gitmo. Here is what Bill said specifically in his press conference.

18. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Dude, are you serious ? Each team turns in a set of 12 footballs that have been prepped the way THEY like them. The refs check each set of balls and makes sure that they are within spec. If Geno likes his at 13.5, that is what the balls will be that the Jets turn in. Refs will check them and then hand them over to the Jets. IF the Jet's opponent inflates their footballs to 12.8, that again falls within the specs and the refs will turn those footballs back over to that team.

Similarly, if Geno likes to have footballs that are basically new, out of the box, that is what the Jets will turn in and that is what they will get back. If the opposing team prefers to have the "newness" worked out of the ball (by spending hours and hours rubbing the balls down), that is what they will turn in and that is what they will get back from the refs.

You've completely mistaken in thinking that the refs just throw all 24 balls onto a table, make them all the same then hand 12 balls over to each team. That just isn't how it works.

19. langdon1975

langdon1975 Member

You also failed to acknowledge that the NFL, not rumors or sources, said that one of the Patriots balls was 2psi under the limit. Rest of them were under the 12.5 psi, but barely. Prepping to ball + weather is an easy explanation for a 12.5 psi ball to drop under the limit during a half. We have no idea where the Colts start with their footballs, but the Pats have informed the media and the league that they want their balls at 12.5. Refs have stated that they did check that the balls were properly measured pregame, which means if you believe them the Pats balls started at 12.5. Now of course some (or at least one) of the NFL's own officials have since been fired for selling game balls, so who knows what those fools were doing during the game.

Now factor in that it was the Colts who started this whole investigation by telling the league about it and it was the Colts newspaper man who broke the story, and that they were in possession of the one ball that had a huge difference in psi compared to the other balls... yeah, that doesn't sound shady at all. I mean how in the world were the Colts so lucky that they intercepted the magic ball? If that is indeed the case, someone needs to be investigated. Unfortunately for this board, it's the Colts and that stooge who used to work for the Jets. Shocking that a guy who used to be in the Jets organization is failing miserably at his job. Kinda of a recurring team with your franchise isn't it? You make the Dolphins look like a professional organization.

20. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

I keep seeing the paid Kraft propaganda clansmen say the few ticks story is what really occurred. all you assholes missed this story on 2/1 Crapreport hasn't gotten anything right in years, he's been job hopping for quite a while. NFL hired him for ratings...as they also refuted his story.

"one league source with knowledge of the situation told PFT in response to the NFL Media report, “Ian’s wrong.”

"
    New NFL Media report on #DeflateGate raises plenty of questions
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2015, 4:51 PM EST
    [​IMG]
    As the NFL continues to process the events of two Sundays ago regarding the inflation of certain footballs, the media company owned by the NFL has tried to advance the ball from a news standpoint.

The end result creates plenty of questions — questions that undoubtedly will be answered, one way or the other.

Much of Ian Rapoport’s new report isn’t new. He confirmed without crediting reports from FOX and PFT regarding the surveillance video that shows Patriots employee taking 12 Patriots balls and 12 Colts balls into a restroom. The new information: Rapoport describes the man as “elderly,” and Rapoport says the man was in the restroom for 98 seconds. (PFT previously reported that the man was in the restroom for approximately 90 seconds.) Rapoport also confirmed without crediting the PFT report that the Patriots turned the video over to the NFL early in the process.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Chris Mortensen of ESPN initially reported that 11 of the 12 balls were two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. PFT later reported that 10 of the balls were closer to one pound under the minimum than two. Now, the media company owned by the NFL reports that “[m]any of [the footballs] were just a few ticks under the minimum.”

So how many are “many”? And how much is “just a few ticks”?

Making the NFL media report even more confusing is the fact that, when Rapoport discussed the issue on the air, he specifically said that “a couple, three or four were about a pound under and three or four more were right at the line but a little bit under.”

As one league source with knowledge of the situation told PFT in response to the NFL Media report, “Ian’s wrong.” Apart from the inherent conflict between the written assertion that “many” were “just a few ticks under” and only “three or four” were “right at the line but a little bit under,” it’s possible that both versions are incorrect.

Either way, the truth eventually will be known. As a different source told PFT on Sunday morning, the NFL logged all PSI readings for the Patriots and Colts footballs at halftime of the AFC title game. Assuming that this information makes its way into Ted Wells’ report (and surely it will), the hard numbers eventually will become public.

In the end, it will be more than a little awkward, to say the least, if the official NFL investigation report conflicts with the latest NFL Media report on the investigation."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.