Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

At least he isn't trying to say that stickum was actually legal in the NFL when Jerry Rice played, right?

BeastBeach likes this.
  2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again the Ref approved the balls before the game. So you have to assume at that time they were equal. Or do you need to have the word "equal" in your legal brief. If not why would he approve them. As for the nonsense that the head Ref did not log the air pressure. So what! Or do you think he was in on it too.

#4422 pclfan, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They didn't have to be equal. The Cts balls could have been 13.5 and the Pats balls could have been 12.5. Thiwould make all the balls legal, but not equal. Don't think it could be spelled out any clearer tha that. And since the ref didn't log in te PSI's how do we know?

BeastBeach likes this.
  4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think the point is, we're all assuming the balls were generally in the same range. And likely inflated under generally the same conditions.

You guys are assuming that the Colts balls were at the exact top of the range and were inflated with cold air and that the Pats balls were inflated at the exact bottom of the range and were inflated with piping hot air.

So that the Colts balls lost little PSI due to the weather and atmospheric conditions and dampness and all the other factors you can imagine or make up and therefore stayed within range and that the Pats balls lost JUST enough PSI due to the weather and atmospheric conditions and dampness and all the other factors you can imagine or makeup that therefore the Pats balls were just SLIGHTLY under the legal range.

I think what we are assuming is more likely the case, but you can continue to believe what you'd like.

_

3rdandlong likes this.
  5. JStokes

Case in point. Thank you for confirming my theory on Pats fans theory.

_

6. New England Patriots

This dysfunction in this post is the root of hysteria.

We do not assume they are equal, no. If they did check them, we can assume they were within 12.5-13.5 PSI. I'm not sure why you are struggling to grasp the concept of a range. This is not a law school level concept, this might be 3rd grade.

BeastBeach likes this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Again if he didn't log them in then maybe in a court of law it's inadmissible. Which is what Kraft and his team of lawyers are counting on. The bottom line though is that the Patriots balls were way under the legal limits prescribed by the NFL at halftime. And the Colts balls weren't. And why would the Ref allow balls unequal in pressure to be introduced into the game. First you tried to prove it scientifically which was a joke. Your head coach flubbed that one. Now you're trying to make a case based on a few legal technicalities. Which isn't supposed to wash in the NFL because Roger can make a decision without all of this legal mumble-jumble. Although if Kraft loses I could see that prick taking the NFL to court.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

One thing I think folks on both sides should agree on is the league fucked this thing up badly.

Apparently the Colts had concerns about the footballs prior to the game and contacted the league. The league had two proper ways of handling it.
    1- Call up the Pats and tell them to smarten up if they are doing something with the balls.
    2- Alert the refs to write the PSI's when they check them and then recheck them immediately prior to the game to see if something happened to them before the league officials had full control of them. This would have left no doubt.

Instead, they never told the refs (according to Blandino) and attempted to sting the Pats to catch them redhanded. They allowed the game to be played, possibly with the Pats having an advantage (unproven) just to try to nab them.

This certainly goes against the prevailing belief on this site that the league tries to protect the Pats. If they were trying to protect the Pats they would have chosen option 1.

BeastBeach likes this.
  9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

We don't know that either. We know 1 ball (the one the Colts had in their possession) was 2 PSI under. We have no idea at this time what any of the other balls were at. Mortensen said they were all 2 under, but many reports have said that isn't the case and many were just a few ticks under. Mortensen has since backed away from his own report.

10. JStokes

Concur. If they were going to "sting" them, they should have had film and logs and evidence.

_

11. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Is there some rule I am unaware of that says the balls have to all be the same exact PSI? All I am aware of is that they must be within the range

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I fully believe the NFL would love to catch the Pats red-handed. Spygate still stings in the league offices even 7 years later.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

This entire controversy is based on the Patriots balls (and not the Colts) being weighed at half time and being way under spec. And so you're saying they weren't! As for not being equal after being approved by the Ref before the game. Let's see the evidence of that. Or are you saying you can't prove it because he didn't log it in. Which is a cop out.

14. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

Borges is the most sensical one out there!!

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...borges_deflategate_is_now_full_fledged_fiasco

Yes the NFL may have a problem with this guy they fired but hey, a nice delfection from all the pat asshats away from why there were 11 balls deflated and no colts balls after testing pre and halftime!!

15. Burning Elvii

Belichick is admitting they are doctoring the balls to affect air pressure, to play in a gray area of the rules, resulting in softer balls. To trick the officials!!

I feel his outspokenness on defending their actions will get him that suspension he so well deserves.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They could have done it by rechecking the balls right before the game, after the Pats attendant handed them over to the league ball attendants. Then it would have been a clear yes they did or no they didn't.

I still wonder who told the Colts to call the league? I think it had to be the Ravens.

The theory that they had questions from the first time they played makes no sense. Only Colts personnel had access to the game balls after the refs "checked" them because that game was in Indy.

17. New England Patriots

I'm not making any claims about the Patriots balls. When you said that only the Patriots balls were deflated, you implied that the Colts balls were not deflated. I'm refuting the basis of your claim and you are struggling to keep up. I'm not saying that they weren't the same, but I am saying that you do not have proof that the Colts balls did not deflate. It is possible (in fact, likely) that the Colts balls deflated from before the game to halftime. The fact that they were in the same legal range is not evidence that the balls did not deflate, as you have suggested.

I'm sure that was over your head, so let's just talk about rainbows and ponies.

18. Burning Elvii

they do not log the balls, there was no sting. here is the official procedure

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-video-how-nfl-officials-check-game-ball-pressure/

1) take from bag
    2) check with gauge
    3) passed the range, marked by official, goes in bag
    4) failed the test, placed in other bag for re-inflation, then marking
    5) balls collected by team handlers 10 mins prior to game - must be brought straight to field
    6) balls entered into play

taking the balls into the bathroom is the smoking gun here.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Why should the NFL have told the Patriots to smarten up as you say about their footballs? Isn't it in the rule book? I'd be MORE pissed if they warned cheaters to be careful about their cheating instead of just holding them accountable for it

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What do you mean. All of the balls on both sides were weighed in a halftime and only NEP balls were deflated. All Colts balls were ok. I cited you an article and you can believe or disbelieve it. There is no controversy about the Colts balls. And that's why we have deflategate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.