Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felker

felker Active Member

Glad to hear that you have a background in this so you have a good feel for it.

The thing is that the measurement sequence was very likely NOT random. It's quite probable that the Patriots balls were measured first, and then the Colts balls. That means likely different temperatures unless the balls were measured outdoors. Both teams also have the ability to adjust the initial pressure within the 13.5-12.5 range.

I'm sure if you think about it you'll conclude that conducting a measurement like this will take some real care to eliminate all non-random effects, something that goes beyond what I'd expect given the circumstances.

Thus, again, unless you have a temperature measurement too you are whistling in the dark.

Furthermore you really want to mark the balls so you are comparing the same exact ball before and after. Maybe they did that, maybe not.

Since there are reports that there wasn't even a record of the initial pressures or any measurement of temperature I'm questioning the ability of the NFL to say a given ball actually had less air in it.

Also it's useful to note the CM experiment also brought up evaporative cooling and condensation as the game conditions included rain and no doubt high humidity. This only increases the importance of a temperature measurement.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Don't know that anyone ever checked to see if the Colts balls were over inflated. Seems to be that this kind of thing has never been an issue, so "controls" / "standards" / "protocols" aren't well developed.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What do you mean. All the balls were measured before the game by the ref and were equal (both teams). And at halftime. Patriots balls and Colts balls. What they found was 11 out of 12 Patriots balls were deflated. And zero Colts balls deflated. That's what this whole thing is about.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

What I mean is that the procedures have been lax and informal until now. From what I read, it's sometimes been the case that the referees just squeeze the ball to see if it feels right. Just look at how the rule is written wrt the ball being between 12.5 and 13.5. That rule doesn't take change in temperature into account.

In the future, the NFL will probably craft a much more detailed set of guidelines that will cover a range of possibilities. They might say that you have to inflate the balls out on the field so that there won't be any variation due to temperature. Or perhaps they will adjust the PSI levels to account for the change, i.e. higher PSI if field temps are lower, lower PSI if field temps are higher. Yada, yada, yada.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

yea where did you learn that 13.5 - 1.5 = 12.5?

6. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

This post deserves more love.

Mostly due to its accuracy. pclfan is single-handedly either just being obtuse on purpose or really is incredibly "challenged" from a purely understanding/comprehension standpoint. I'm going to hope it is obtuse.

7. EmbraceTheHate

I take exception. I am an incredibly wicked smaht Pats ball licker. I believe that you are simply trolling the trolls. No way you can't understand both sides of the story.

8. EmbraceTheHate

I just jerked off to this post. It's full of such anger/hate. "The balls were the exact same weight when measured by the ref before the game" - really? That's actually news. As in, that has never been shown. Like, anywhere. Resume your bent-over posture. This is getting good...

BeastBeach likes this.
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It took you this long to figure that out?

_

10. EmbraceTheHate

I'm slow.

On the other hand, I truly believe your cohorts in here actually believe the stuff they are regurgitating over and over.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

This is what this whole thing is all about. The refs weighed the balls before the game. And then at half time. The results were: everything was equal until the balls were given to the respective teams. They were weighed at halftime and only NEP balls were deflated. I'm only angry about morons like you. I can think of a lot better things to jerk off to than my stupid posts. You dumb, homo fucktard.

12. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

The Colts GM say's that the Colts alerted NFL officials that they suspected the Patriots were actually using underinflated footballs in actual football games.
    Actually, that's not true.
    The Colts actually alerted NFL officials that the Patriots intended to use actual footballs in actual football games, because using actual footballs against the Colts meant that the
    the Colts would actually have no F'n chance to compete against the Patriots.
    The Patriots actually demonstrated this in the actual Championship game.
    The 'Cinderella Boy' of nationwide sportswriters, Andrew Luck, is not, n'or will ever be an actual competitive quarterback against actual first line quarterbacks in the actual NFL.
    Eventually, the actual first line quarterbacks in the NFL will actually, eventually retire at which time Andrew will already be retired to his actual true love, singing in a gay piano bar.
    You will never see this Colts team in a Super Bowl, from the owner down to the ball boy, the Colts are and will forever be in the Rex Ryan League of amateur football.

13. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Where are you getting that all the balls were equal? I haven't heard that anywhere

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I think directionally we are in the right and directionally all you guys are in the wrong and that the Patriots did do something intentionally nefarious and likely against the rules.

In other words they did cheat. Again.

But you do realize YOUR cohorts are also regurgitating the same stuff over and over again and none of it is taking into consideration any of the things that LIKELY happened and are positing stuff so far out on the margins in the hopes that they can convince us but more importantly YOU GUYS that the Pats didn't cheat.

Again.

_

15. benhamean

benhamean Member

Your science is either weak or disingenuous. The contention that the Patriots' balls were affected and the Colts' balls were not is unproven and dumb and unscientific. All that is known and all that is alleged is that the NE balls were supposedly below a threshold and the Indy balls were not. Both, depending on the unlogged pre-game inspection pressures very well WOULD have been affected in the same way by the same conditions, with the alleged pressure threshold violation being the only difference.

16. benhamean

benhamean Member

The assumption is based on what Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have stated- they told the Officials to set the pressure to 12.5.

17. benhamean

benhamean Member

Nope. No record. You are making things up.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

19. benhamean

benhamean Member

http://deadspin.com/wait-jesus-christ-theres-a-different-ball-scandal-wh-1686804809

This take goes to show that the balls, their pressure, their hermetically sealed sterility, their divine perfection, is really a loada shite. NFL really are clowns for letting this 'issue' blow up on them- they just look more and more incompetent by the hour.

I disagree with the article regarding 'separate issues'. It is ONE issue- no one has ever given a shit about the ball pressure until it was a chance to 'catch' New England.

This will end in disappointment for so many.

20. benhamean

benhamean Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.