If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We seem to get a lot of pressure on Brady yet he always seems to convert those third downs on us.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The New York Giants say hi.

_

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They beat us by a whopping 3combined points this year and we had the worst set of Cbs and a terrible QB. I wouldn't say he was extremely successful against us

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not this year, every year for the last 8-9 years.

We keep hitting him and he still makes the plays.

We can agree to disagree but the Raiders not only beat us on both sides of the line in that playoff game but they also gave other teams the blue print on how to disrupt Pennington. Between that game and the injuries he played well but before the Raiders game he was unstoppable.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Require Phil to fork over 1st and 2nd round picks in 2015 AND 2016. If they agree to that, do it, and don't look back. The jets need as many high picks as they can get. Now with Rex (finally) gone, here's a novel idea--use a high pick on OFFENSE!

6. lockgang

lockgang Member

from theobr.com forum, CBS radio is reporting Iggles Jets have/working a deal for pick #6

Phili sending 2 #1's and 2 #2 if Mariota is available

Jets give up #6

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Would like to hear more, but this early, that has be bs.

8. JStokes

Insert either "Titans" or "Raiders" or "Jaguars" or "Redskins" wherever you read "Jets" and you might have a more reliable story.

Otherwise it's just naive.

_

9. Murrell2878

Works for me, but I hope Foles is part of the deal

10. Murrell2878

That's the strategy against every QB. Put pressure up the middle and in their face. If you noticed in the past when teams have defeated the Patriots its when they put pressure up the middle. The problem is NE usually picks it up extremely well. The Seahawks put very little pressure up the middle in the SB. Their outside pass rushers were useless, because NE's offense is predicated on getting the ball out of Brady's hands quickly. But back to my original comment. Putting pressure up the middle works on every QB. If you can do that you can disrupt their offense. The Raiders didn't write the book on Pennington. That's just silly nonsense that's been said on this board for years.

11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I'm not a fan of this. Basically we give up our 6 for the 20 and two late round seconds and one probably late round first? Even with Foles who I really don't think is the answer when do we get our QB? Next year? We would probably have to trade both firsts to get back into the position we are in now which means we traded our six for two late round seconds and the 20. Not to mention is there even anyone worth moving up for next year?
    Nope, not liking it at all.
    Even if we weren't going for Mariota there is still some blue chip edge rushers at 6 not so much at 20.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. JStokes

No.

_

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

There is no definite proof the Eagles are even interested in Mariota. Chip has passed on other Ducks players and maybe he isn't even interested in drafting him let alone trading up to get him which will be expensive. Plus Foles is still on his original rookie deal and won't cost the Eagles very much for 2015. After a very good 2013 he's coming off of a mediocre 2014 plus a major injury. The big question mark with Philly is Matt Barkley and can he play? Sanchez made around 4 mil last season so not sure they want to bring him back for that kind of money.

14. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It's not terrible (but if they believe in Mariota so much, we should be able to wring Foles out of the deal).

But it would suck to have to wait until #20 for our first pick. I don't want to miss out on an elite talent. At #20 you are the mercy of all 19 teams picking in front of you.

Macc should be in talks with Cleveland. #12 and #19 should both be in play, plus additional 1st and 2nd rounders. Kevin O'Connell, who has already been hired for all intents and purposes as the Browns' QB coach, is prepping Mariota for the combine / draft.

And the Browns suck every year, so you know those future picks are gonna be high. A Browns' 2nd rounder, for example, is more likely to be the equivalent of a late 1st.

15. JStokes

I think this is also the reason that we shouldn't worry as much about Wash or Tenn or Jax or Oak doing a deal.

If you're top 5, do you REALLY want to drop to 20 for extra picks? Maybe yes, but then you could be missing out on a REAL difference maker to add additional second and third rounders (all very valuable no doubt) or first rounders (all very valuable no doubt) in later years that may not be top of the draft picks.

_

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think a trade down makes sense for the Jets if they don't think Mariota is the real deal and he is available at 6. Better to trade down and get the additional picks then select someone else and have to answer the inevitable questions that will come until either Mariota busts or becomes elite. Particularly because there is no major impact player at 6 that you can't get similar value in the mid rounds (Amari Cooper or Kevin White?)

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I agree about not wanting to drop to 20, unless you get multiple first rounders and mid round picks in return. Hearing how badly Philly wants him just screams smokescreen. I'd be shocked if they traded up to 4 to get him. The issue is that Philadelphia isn't the only team that needs a QB. St. Louis, Cleveland, and Houston could all use a QB. I'd argue all 3 teams are a solid QB from somewhat competitive. I doubt Oakland has any problem moving down to 10 or 12 if it means getting an additional first.

There is a very real possibility that the Jets might have to trade up to 4 to get either QB.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What? Sorry, but I think you're flat out wrong. I totally disagree. If they don't think Mariota will develop, the Jets could get an elite pass rusher or elite WR prospect at #6. There IS a big drop off in talent from the top 6 picks to the mid rounds. Saying there isn't is just stupid and totally wrong.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Look at what you just wrote. You don't want to drop to #20, yet you're willing to take multiple first round picks that are more than likely going to be lower than 20? What sense does that make? At #6 you can get an elite player, a real difference maker. At #20 and lower, unless you're lucky, you may get a solid or even quality starter, but the chances of getting a star, a Pro Bowl-type player, or a real difference maker go down considerably.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Foles has to be part of the deal, or it is not a good deal.

Why would Philly want to hold onto Foles, anyway? To hold the fort for Mariota? Isn't it his contract year?