Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. A good short but solid scouting report. The little I did see of him I liked. Maybe not a guy because of the knee who will have a long career.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I do not want to see this asshat procreate.

_

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Just for you smart guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/16/rice-joked-about-using-stickum-in-1993/

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The one thing that might prevent this is an overall weariness with "The Patriot's Way" at 345 Park Avenue. This is twice in the last 8 years that the Pats "special" attention to details has caused the NFL extreme pain in the media and PR department. They're a black eye on the NFL right now, as they were in 2007, and sometimes you need to put the bully down in a way that he isn't getting back up again really fast.

If the NFL concludes that the Pats actually deflated balls for a competitive advantage it would not be unreasonable to steal a few 1st round picks from them as a "never do something like this again you two-time bad boys" warning. If Bill Belichik chose to resign as a result of that it would not be unreasonable to reduce the penalty to the 2015 1st rounder.

Burning Elvii likes this.
  5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Still think Brady is declining?

6. Br4d

He certainly is. Tom Brady circa 2007 was better than Tom Brady in 2014. That's true from a numbers perspective and it's true from a dominance perspective.

Unfortunately he's not declining fast enough. In 2010 and 2011 he had 75 TD passes and 16 Int's. This with Randy Moss catching 9 passes from him in the two years. In 2013 and 2014 he had 58 TD passes and 20 Int's.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This year he posted the following relative to his career numbers: 5th best completion %, 6th Yards, 5th TDs, 5th TD%, 4th least interceptions, 8th YPA, 5th Rating.

All of which are an upswing from a 2013 in which you claimed was the start of his decline. I'm not sure why you skipped 2012. Maybe you wanted to more heavily weight the 2013 in which he had shit for receivers.

If you throw out 2013 and look at 2010-12 and 2014 his numbers are pretty steady.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I love when people make arguments that say "if you throw out..... (fill in the blank)" Yeah, that would be convenient for your argument, but that doesn't mean we should throw it out.

It's obvious Brady isn't the same Brady of his prime, he's 37 years old, of course he's declined some, that's human nature. He's still a great QB so who cares and unfortunately he is not declining fast enough but lets not kid ourselves and say he's the same guy he was in 2007 or whatever.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If the Pats are found to have dicked around with the balls, the league will have to do something meaningful.

I'd guess a hefty fine and loss of draft pick(s) would suffice in their minds...if not most of the fans minds as well. In the end, their success' will over shadow their shady ways in the annals of history.

It's funny how the Pats have jumped to the top of the "most hated team"...well ahead of the Raiders....and the Jets.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Like destroy all the evidence.

_

RuJFan, NY Jets68 and Burning Elvii like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I admit...I struggled to find a better word than "meaningful'.

Appeasement may be it. Satisfy the non-Pat fans without unduly pissing off Robert Kraft.

He does work for the owners....none of which have made much noise about the whole affair.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Neither of these things is very likely to happen.

13. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

Thanks, this was the recent one and i haven't seen it yet. Tuna def is calling foul and telling BW not to do it again. Guess what. It was not against the rules but against the spirit. I can def look at what BW did here as loose and unfair advantage, but it wasn't against the law. Scripting plays is the norm.

I content all coaches are looking at these edges today, but why is it that NE is the only one getting the huge backlashes from all other fan bases while other teams that get caught and punished have little fanfare (except the last few major, Bountygate, Spygate, the uncapped year shit from Wash and DAL, and the Denver salary cap issues)......dont give me the jealousy and everyone does it angle. It's a deep rooted disgust for their 'way'

Kraft is holding too much influence in the league since 2005, way to much. Too much influence over NFL schill Roger.

14. Burning Elvii

I can vouch, there are many few Pats fans today out there who will admit they were fans before 2001. There are def some, but many of these new pats fans were Giants fans up until that point.

15. Burning Elvii

gosh wouldn't it be fun if Ted found the smoking guns from other teams video survelliance during NE's visit to their stadiums.............oh i can dream

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I only threw it out in response to him throwing out 2012 which was a good year. Additionally when I had argued with the same poster our argument was surrounding whether or not his poor 2013 was due to his lack of receivers or due to him declining with age. Obviously it was more due to his receivers since he has returned to 2010-2012 levels now that he has some good receivers around him. Remember that in 2013 he had Edelman, Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson and a hurt Gronk

Obviously he's not 2007 Brady. That was his peak at the same time they had a loaded team. But I don't see much of a difference between 2010 Brady and 2014 Brady

17. Burning Elvii

Kraft has not earned his stripes with the NFL old guard, not sure how he came into so much influence under a decade plus of illegally gotten wealth and status.

We don't know what the other owners are saying, if it comes out that they let it pass again, this should tell old and casual fans that this league isn't about integrity anymore.

18. Br4d

Then the NFL will have to deal with Cheatriots 3.0 at some point when its image is in trouble again like this year. Sometimes you just have to do the thing you don't want to do because it will be worse next time.

The other related problem is that if the NFL does nothing it's going to be telling teams to cheat in whatever ways they think they can get away with to get a competitive advantage. The NFL should have acted decisively in 2007 when Spygate broke. They should have forced Belichik's resignation.

Burning Elvii likes this.
  19. Burning Elvii

This!!, But guess what, if they at least suspended him for a season, it would have been the correct thing to do since Bill thumbed his nose at the establishment surrounding spygate. Kraft called him an idiot in the press.....this time it's legacy circle the wagons and my franchise is at state.

I think it says a lot when they won't dole out what is appropriate. What they got as punishment was lighter than a feather. The tapes burned because much more than what Roger told the public was there and the future billions were at stake. But here we are again. If they're given a slap on wrist again, THEY WILL CHEAT AGAIN!! Book it.

20. Br4d

It's not just them moving forward. I expect the Jets to creatively cheat to get an advantage if there is no meaningful penalty for doing that. I want them to look for rules edges and beyond. I want them to win every game they possibly can and if they have to cheat to do it then they should do that. If there's a meaningful reason not to do that then I'm all for being the good sport and playing within the rules but if this competition is defined by a franchise that cheats every step of the way and is successful doing it and there is no penalty for doing that then the Jets better get on board and start cheating.

So should every other NFL franchise.

That's the problem the NFL has right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.