If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Did you get that sense after his monster 2013 season, or was it based off of his play in 2014 pre-injury.

Very curious what they thought of him in both instances.

_

2. JStokes

As much as I want Mariota, even I'll admit that Winston could be a fantastic player in this league for a very long time.

I get the off-field stuff is a major concern and I understand he could be an unlikable guy to many--hell, a rape charge is awful--but I'd hold my nose and take the plunge.

He could end up being completely innocent and just extremely immature guy that will blossom into a great player and leader.

He could go the other way too--but I don't see him like Big Ben with multiple charges. Or like Cutler, a complete douche.

I think his teammates and that fanbase genuinely loved the guy.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

2013 they thought he was a God. I got the sense during his 2014 play when reality set in for Foles. Philly fans are worse than us though, they can turn on you before the 1st quarter is over. IMO Eagles were winning games via defense & special teams, then Mark gave them a minor spark and thats when I think they realized Foles wasn't the guy.

PS Nobody I've heard from ever wanted Sanchez there nor believed in him. lol.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What's the matter? Did I insult your fair-haired boy?

My original intent wasn't even regarding QBs, although they did pass up on both Carr and Bridgewater last season, so they DID pass up on potential franchise QBs. At least get your facts straight. My intent was that they ignored the offense and kept adding D picks, in particular DL picks, and we know that Rex likes Clemson players since his son is there.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That would be incredible.

Not only is Winston a real QB that we could use but the trade offers would be great as well.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Somewhat fair points except for the Geno comparison. The comparison really amounts to nothing when you consider the bold. You name a metric used to evaluate a potential NFL QB. I'm not even willing to concede arm strength to Geno.

Geno's issues as a pro have more to do with the cacophony weaknesses he has in his game than his inability to control tempo. The sheer number of items Geno needed to work on, led you to believe he would struggle early on regardless of tempo. Like most prospects MM has weaknesses too, some which he shares with Geno. And you are correct in that those weaknesses will be more visible under the bright lights of the NFL. However, I can pretty much guarantee the amount won't come close to the litany of crap Geno has. I have no concerns about MM's footwork, mechanics, the speed of his release; I don't question his leadership skills, football IQ, work ethic..etc. Because of that his chances of failing or FAR less than Geno. The positives he brings to the position IMO is enough to win with early as he works on the weaker parts of his game.

7. legler82

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/18/7717183/new-york-jets-where-do-teams-find-quarterbacks

As the above linked article demonstrates, most of quality QBs are found in the first round. Based on that, I wouldn't classify Smith, a second round draft pick, as a blown pick. While it's clear that he's not a franchise caliber QB, it's not clear that he can't be a solid back-up.

8. legler82

Given this past season, one would think you'd put your prognostication hat away for a little while.

9. legler82

And 2 years later they will be calling him a bust.

nyjunc likes this.
  10. James Hasty

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, Mariota is gonna be a bust.

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

#211 Ben Had, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

An opinion with nothing to back it up is an opinion, but it's a worthless one. An opinion based on research, on the other hand, is called an informed opinion.

He's an analogy that might help you to understand. A doctor and a Wall St. investment banker each examine a sick patient. The banker says "I think he has the measles", while the doctor says "I think he has the Flu", and then proceeds to back up his diagnosis with information about Flu symptoms, test results, and the usual recovery time. Whose opinion would you value more? Or would you say that the doctor has "no independent opinion", he just "cut and pasted" his diagnosis based on articles and what other people told him in medical school ...... see how ridiculous your argument against me actually is.

13. JStokes

So you have no idea what you are watching and you also have no idea when you have the flu.

I guess when you make your choice to vote you do so on the basis of what the talking heads are telling you on TV.

Geezuz I can't believe so many dumbasses have the right to vote.

Don't forget your Lindys Draft Guide so you can be informed to tell you what to think.

_

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

going into the 2014 draft Smith had completed 1 season and in the last few games in his first season was one of the higher rated QBs in the NFL and was actually showing a lot of promise - it would have been crazy for the Jets to have thrown in the towel on a 2nd round QB after his rookie season and pick another QB in the first round

did we pick too many defensive prospects? obviously - but the Jets have tried to fix the QB position through the draft - they have just done a really bad job of it (or so it seems)

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just because the Jets drafted another QB, it wouldn't have necessarily meant that they were throwing in the towel on Smith. Remember that Smith was only a 2nd round pick, so it wasn't as a big a deal if he didn't pan out. Supposedly, that shouldn't have precluded their taking a QB in the 1st round in a subsequent draft if a better prospect came along. IMO it would have been one thing if Smith was a top 10 pick in the first round, and maybe even a first rounder in general, but he wasn't. IMO until you are certain you have found your franchise QB/QB of the future, you keep looking, and if one who is potentially better, you get him if you can. Smith showed improvement, but he had also looked awful in some games. He had a LOT of adjustments to make and things to learn. IMO that would have completely justified the Jets taking another one in the draft last year. You can never have enough QBs. You need a good backup. QBs go down with injuries frequently. If they both pan out, then you have plenty of depth and insurance and if it looks like there will be a controversy, then you can always trade one and recoup your pick.

There's also the aspect of taking the BAP in the draft, especially in the first round. With QBs being so valuable, a real case could have been made that at the Jets' pick, Teddy Bridgewater was the BAP.

If I was the GM of the Jets last year, especially with the sorry history the Jets have had at the QB position, I wouldn't have hesitated to draft another QB if I wasn't absolutely sure that Smith was going to develop into a quality starter. IMO there were more doubts than certainty regarding Smith's making it. I like Geno and was glad they drafted him at the time. I still have some hopes that he will pan out, but those hopes are fading. Even as much as I liked him, I wouldn't have hesitated one second to take Teddy Bridgewater. Teddy was that much better a prospect, and didn't have all of Smith's issues.

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

There's a video clip now of EA with Macc on Jets.com talking briefly on draft and combine.

Macc says the RB, WR, OLB groups look strong. No mention of QBs. I'd love to know his opinion / breakdown on the top 10 available at each of those positions.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Jet fans know all about how the fanbase makes choices in who to blame when things don't go well, especially when they are expected to go well. For good reason the fans were high on Kelly coming off of 13. How did they feel when the FO, presumably with the CS on board, let DeSean Jackson go? Their best receiver, and he was essentially not replaced. Then there were problems with the OL, and apparently attempts made in playcalling that would put more of a burden on Foles to move around alot.

I can understand Kelly wanting to install a Qb who can play in his style of offense. And the fans know Kelly is going to be there for awhile. Add it all up, and Foles is the odd man out in that kind of dynamic. Should it surprise anybody if the fans place blame for all that on Foles?

I don't thikn it tells you much about how well Foles would do with the Jets.

LAJet and JetLifeLo like this.
  18. James Hasty

Aside from the fumbling problem, Sanchez did about as good as Foles did last year.

That tells me plenty about how Foles would do here.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

this is true. And now that kelly has the power of a GM now in Philly he's really on the edge with fans as well. If he fails trying to recreate his Oregon Ducks of the NFL..he'll be ran out of town very fast in Philly. The biggest blow he can take is not getting Mariota, trading Foles, and being left with who knows what. the DJAX move has left a sour taste in philly fans mouths he's an absolute fan favorite here and when they traded him I know a large amount of fans that didn't even know if they should support chip anymore, especially the way it happened.

as far as foles, maybe he can be decent somewhere else but that 2013 year was a fluke I'm sorry. you know how it goes with new QB's until defenses get enough film they don't really know what to expect, esp. from a Kelly offense.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am a big believer in the notion that Qb's can have initial success, but then opponents' DC's come up with analyses of how to best defend those Qb's. That's why they pore over game film. That's what they are paid to do. And often succeed at doing.

But is that the sole explanation for what happened with Foles? I don't think so. Losing Jackson was a fact. So were the problems in the Eagles' OL. Perhaps the playcalling is a more speculative factor, but my guess is Foles is somewhere between his year in 13 and where he was early last year. Which would mean he would be a substantial improvement over Smith.