Mayocks Top 5 by Position. FWIW

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cgrec, Feb 12, 2015.

1. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-mayocks-position-rankings-for-2015-nfl-draft

Thoughts?

Couple of things stand out to me

- Kevin White over Amari Cooper. Ive seen a few people say this lately. I still like Amari a little bit more

-Ereck Flowers rated #4 tackle.

-Dante Fowler Jr rated over Randy Gregory. I disagree again, but Fowler is a guy who I think could be a great option for us at 6. Id take him over Shane Ray.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The only thing that really bothers me about his rankings is Fowler over Gregory. Gregory is in his own category in my eyes, he is hands down without a doubt the best edge rusher in this draft. I'm surprised by that from Mayock..

I do however think that Mayock is extremely educated when it comes to the draft, so I value you his opinion.

However.

He has been known to watch one thing on a player and disregard the overall body of work when he ranks certain players. Sometimes I think he lets the Senior Bowl, East/West, Combine work influence his opinions a little too much.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty instructive that for the "draft Cooper at all costs Club", it's possible that there may be a better WR in this draft.

Mind you, Cooper is a massive talent. But I've been arguing for months that the drop off between the top 2 QBs and the next one is huge, the drop off between the top WR and the next 2 or 3 or 4 is not that great.

You might find a WR at the top round 2 that is as good as, better than, or close to what you'd get with Cooper.

But maybe Cooper isn't the gold ring, maybe it's White.

Hell, Devante Parker may end up being a better player than both of them.

Nobody knows.

But I'd rather take the QB at 6 and the best WR available at 5 in the second round rather than a WR at 6 and the next best QB available for the rest of the draft.

_

ajax, NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That is why I truly believe we hope for a QB to fall, trade back, or take a tackle. WR, RB, TE, OLB is stacked in this draft.. I would rather not select one of those positions with our first rounder considering how deep the depth is in this draft at those spots.

Tackle is fairly deep too, I just think the drop off, like you mentioned is a little bit greater at the tackle position opposed to the other positions I just listed.

5. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

This definitely makes me believe Dante Fowler is a candidate at 6.

6. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Im starting to really like the thought of fowler as our pick. If both qbs, cooper and gregory are off the board, im all in for him