Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

... seven years after Rice retired? Wow, so that would mean that seven years after Rice retired, the league expressly ruled the towels the Chargers were using were legal according to league rules.

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Wow, are there any exceptions to this rule in the league rulebook? Let's look and make sure.

Oh, there's one! Let's look at it:

(i) Adhesive or slippery substances on the body, equipment, or uniform of any player; provided, however, that players may wear gloves with a tackified surface if such tacky substance does not adhere to the football or otherwise cause handling problems for players.

3. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Uniform

Foreign Substances On Body/Uniform

A player may not use foreign substances (e.g., stickum or slippery compounds) on his body or uniform. Because such a violation affects the integrity of the competition and can give a team an unfair advantage, game officials will check randomly selected offensive and defensive linemen for foreign substances as they leave the locker room prior to the game and prior to the beginning of the second half. If a violation is detected, the player’s jersey will be confiscated immediately, and the jersey must be replaced and in compliance before the player may participate in the game.
    During the game, if a player is detected with a foreign substance on his body or uniform, he will be suspended from the game immediately for at least one play, and his
    team will also be charged a timeout. The jersey in question will be confiscated by game officials, and must be replaced and in compliance before the player may re-enter the game. The involved player(s) will be subject to a significant fine and the club may also be subject to disciplinary action.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/2011-league-discipline.pdf

---

Why wouldn't they put the "exception" to the rule in the supplement? Maybe it's because you are reading it wrong and that it's not an exception but rather saying that the gloves can be made with a tackified surface (read: not applying stickum to the gloves). Are you that daft?

4. Unhappyjetsfan

No idea; I don't work in the league office. Two reasonable explanations would be: (1) It wasn't a point of emphasis that year, or (2) everyone already knows the rule because every receiver in the league uses gloves with tacky substances on them, and has been since the mid-80s.

If you read the supplement, you'll notice it's specifically referencing substances put on the jerseys of offensive and defensive linemen. That is why it says the league would be randomly searching offensive and defensive linemen before games (no reference to receivers or backs) and would be confiscating "jerseys" (no reference to gloves, or towels or anything else) of these players that were found to be in violation. Obviously the league was worried about linemen using substances on their jerseys (like silicone to avoid being held).

5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This is just embarrassing. No way s person is this stupid. Obstinate maybe but not this stupid.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

I'm sorry the rulebook says something other than what you thought it said and what you would like it to say.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

You are making zero sense. The towels are made that way. Rice admitted to putting stickem on his gloves. What part is confusing to you?

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I'm sorry you can't comprehend what you are reading and are unable to use supplemental evidence to understand this issue

9. Unhappyjetsfan

... your willful disregard of the written word.

10. New England Patriots

Funny, the league discipline memo doesn't mention exceptions to the rule and isn't specific to offensive and defensive linemen:

A player may not use foreign substances (e.g., stickum or slippery compounds) on his body or uniform.

As you point out, it does go on to say that offensive and defensive linemen will be checked before the game. This doesn't equate to "wide receivers can wear it on their gloves". So I ask, relevance?

Lastly, if everyone already knows the rule, then why does every major news outlet have it wrong?

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The terrorists are winning.

Well played Pats trolls.

_

12. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

Even I was going to say "let's get back to Deflategate"... that said, I am impressed with unhappyJetsfan's ability to stick to his guns despite an inordinate amount of evidence to his being shown his views on Rice to be patently erroneous.

But, let's get back to where Jets fans make sure to point out (often) that this will end up as a league cover-up... that's a fun topic! It ensures that no matter what, you can still cry foul. It's actually ingenious on some level.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This sounds familiar.

I may be a dick but I'm not an idiot.

_

14. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

haha... well played...

15. Unhappyjetsfan

... the part where you insist, repeatedly, that putting a tacky substance on gloves is against league rules, yet it's expressly permitted in the league rulebook. While at the same time, I repeatedly post the rule (as written in the rulebook) expressly allowing tacky substances on gloves ...

(i) Adhesive or slippery substances on the body, equipment, or uniform of any player; provided, however, that players may wear gloves with a tackified surface if such tacky substance does not adhere to the football or otherwise cause handling problems for players.

... yet you pretend you can't read it.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Because journalism stopped being a legitimate profession in the 1950s?

17. New England Patriots

This is what you decide to respond to? You're getting destroyed here and defended by no one and this is your response? A board that wishes Rice didn't cheat and no one is here to defend you?

Either a) the media and everyone on this board is right or b) you are.

I work with top AMLaw partners on a daily basis and your arrogance would rival the worst of them. You chose a fitting profession.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

A 6 year old can read it but not understand it. That's your peer in this case. Please Google this so you can save yourself further embarrassment

19. Unhappyjetsfan

If I had to estimate, I'd guess I've responded to close to 50 posts in this thread. Amazingly, none of them seem to be about the Patriots cheating (the topic of the thread); it's almost as though there's a concerted effort by a group of people participating in the thread to deflect all conversation away from the illegal conduct of the Patriots organization. I wonder why that is? (Rhetorical question - for Patriots fans, that means I don't want you to answer).

I would suggest to you that the far majority of the board sees right through you and your friends desperate attempts to deflect attention away from your own team's cheating and therefore too smart to get caught up in any discussion of a player, on a different team, 25 years ago. I, on the other hand, have elected to do two things at once:

1. Point out that the Patriots apparently cannot stop cheating (in all forms and manner), and
    2. Point out that the behavior Rice is being accused of (and that he admitted to) was not against NFL rules as written in the NFL rulebook.

While we're at it, let's look at that rule again:

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Now that we've concluded our discussion of how there's no evidence Rice violated an NFL rule regarding tacky substances on his gloves, let's hear the latest excuse why 11 of 12 Patriots footballs would deflate after being inspected by the officials in pre-game, while 0 of 12 Colts footballs would deflate.

Cheaties fans, the floor is open.

DIFFICULTY: No saying the officials didn't inspect the Colt's balls (been debunked by head of NFL officiating) at the same time they inspected the Patriots' balls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.