Glennon or Mallett

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 4, 2015.

?

Who would you rather the Jets bring in this offseason

Poll closed Mar 4, 2015.
  1. Mike Glennon

58.6%
  2. Ryan Mallett

41.4%
  1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

But isn't that the most important stat?

Geno Smith: 30 games played, 25 TD passes, 41 total turnovers, qb rating of 71.5
    Mike Glennon: 19 games played, 29 TD passes, 19 total turnovers, qb rating of 83.3

If we prorate Glennon's stats to 30 games it would be: 46 TD passes and 30 total turnovers. That's +16. Geno Smith is -16.

If he could be had for a 4th rounder, I'd be interested. Why not? That also means that Harvin is gone as he costs a 4th rounder if he is still on the team past March 19th. Take Harvin's money and go out and get a real receiver.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The question is if the Jets trade for Glennon, do they see him as the QB of the future for the Jets? I don't want to give up a 4th for a 2 yr stop-gap if the Jets decide to draft a QB in the first round.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Lets play the scenario out in another way. After Mariota and Winston you have a group of QB's who do not rate better than a 4th round pick (I know some value Petty or Hundley as 2nd or 3rd rounders but I really don't). Would you rather the Jets draft one of these guys or trade a 4th for a guy who has NFL experience and has had some NFL success? I don't believe anyone is upset at trading a 4th for Chris Ivory (one of Idzik's better moves) right?

4. 101GangGreen101

If I'm the Jets, I'm not wasting my time with any QBs after Winston and Mariota. I would do this trade for sure. I'm guessing the Jets do this trade if they realize both QBs are off the board. Now, we are assuming Harvin does not resign with the Jets since we are giving up a 4th round pick.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The whole point here is that FA and trades commence well before the draft. The Jets would be taking imo a huge risk to wait and hope to have Mariota fall to 6. Even if that then happens, the Jets can still pick Mariota. But to NOT try and get Glennon, or to wait, means someone else might get him before the draft, Mariota goes before the Jets pick, and we're left holding shit*

*that being Smith ends up the opening day starter

The smart move here is to trade for Glennon and not play the long shot in the draft. If Mariota does fall, he's nt going to start soon, anyway, so you play Glennon this year and see where everyone is next off season.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Depends on why your picking the player up.

If you're looking for potential upside and maybe an answer at QB Mallett is the choice. Mallett is more of a wildcard because we don't know how good or not good he is really.

If you want a QB who you pretty much know what he can do and can play if Geno has issues then Glennon.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Glennon would most likely end the Geno Smith error

8. 101GangGreen101

I don't believe in trading a 4th round pick for a 1 or 2 yr stop gap. 4th round picks are valuable. I would rather go acquire an average QB in FA if the Jets brass believes Glennon is nothing more then a stop-gap. Also, you have to make a decision on Harvin and that 4th round pick plays a role.

Not saying I want Geno Smith as a starter, but I wouldn't trade a pick for a stop-gap.

9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Maybe next year's pick as a conditional 4th that could be as low as a sixth depending on production and play time.

#149 NOVAJET, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. Big Blocker

Glennon may end up being a stop gap, but on the face of it he does not fit the description. He has a potentially higher ceiling than would exist for a stop gap in the normal sense of the word. Mariota as you point out over and over is no guarantee to succeed. Now you seem to be saying if the Jets draft him they won't need Glennon to perform for more htan a year or two. Which is it?

Glennon could act as insurance, and perhaps might even be better in 17, 18 than Mariota. You also ignore the part about how imo Mariota is unlikely to fall to 6.

And if the Jets get both and find both are very good or even better, and they are going into 16 and 17 with both on the roster, well that's what the Irish call happy troubles. Troubles you are happy to have. If it really came to that, which seems rather farfetched, they could move one or the other in a trade.

You are not saying you want Smith as a starter, but I don't see you suggesting the Jets follow any scenarios which make it more unlikely he will not be back as such. What FA can the Jets get who would make it very unlikely that Smith is back?

Think before you answer.

11. 101GangGreen101

I personally believe he's extremely inaccurate when it comes to throwing the football. Sure, he has potential, but so do a lot of other QBs like a Ryan Mallett. Potential isn't everything. Again, my points are very clear. I am not trading a 4th round pick for a guy that might be on the roster for 1 or 2 seasons. I think the Jets will wait to pull any trigger on Glennon until close to the draft. It will not happen overnight. If the Bucs want a 3rd round pick instead of a 4th then all bets are off and I am not accepting that trade.

I disagree in regards to your assessment of Mariota, 1 thing is for sure, you barely saw him play, so I don't know how you can sit here and make judgement on Mariota and his draft position. Do you know his pros / his cons? I personally believe he will be OTC @ the 6 spot unless a trade happens (which we do not know as of now). If the Jets draft Mariota, then I don't want to spend ANOTHER pick on Glennon. I prefer a veteran QB like Matt Moore or Shaun Hill that can hold the fort for a yr while Geno is 2nd in the depth chart and Mariota being 3rd. Mariota should be ready his 2nd season and if he's not, then we have a problem. Like I mentioned before, 4th round picks are valuable. To me, this is Mariota v Glennon, the Jets won't get both.

Geno will be here next season, I don't think there's anything anyone can do anything about it at this time. If he's 2nd on the depth chart then fine let him be a cheap backup. Mariota will redshirt.

Don't be a smart ass Blocker. I am well aware of what this discussion is about.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Please, no Mike Glennon. ACC interception leader, lousy Music City Bowl game vs. Vandy (and Aaron Roger's younger brother). In the NFL, cannot move around in the pocket, retreats in the face of pressure rather than stepping into his throws--and with the Jets' OL woes? Whoa.

If Mariotta somehow falls to #6 grab him and Matt Moore; Moore to put some heat on Geno to fish or cut bait while Mariotta learns the ropes (by not quickly being force-fed).

13. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Why do people think it's so unrealistic for Mariota to fall to 6?
    Tampa Bay is obviously going Winston.
    Tennessee is the only real concern, but it sounds like they're going all in with Mettenberger.
    Oakland and Jacksonville just drafted QBs so theres no chance either of them take him.
    Washington is almost definitely not going QB either.
    And that takes us to our pick at #6.

14. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Tampa's O-line has been just as bad as ours the past 2 years, yet Glennon has still put up good numbers.

15. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

Peyton Manning!

16. Big Blocker

You could stop reading your post when you say might be on the rostoer for 1 or 2 seasons. So could anyone only be.

17. Big Blocker

It's hard to read Washington's situation. If I were them I would pick Mariota, and as for Tenn who knows what they will do. I do not think Mariota will be there at 6, and the Jets can't count on him being there.

18. 101GangGreen101

At the end of the day, I think it all depends on the draft. I could see a trade come a long if Mariota is already taken, or if the Jets decide not to draft him all-together. I just don't see a scenario where they draft a QB in RD1 AND trade for Glennon. Then you have to think about the QBs available in FA (not via trade). I wouldn't mind taking a chance on a Brian Hoyer for 1 or 2 seasons.

I see the Jets having a wait and see approach.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1000

Washington has scared me all the while.

Well, starting right about that time we won that all important last game against the Fins.

If he goes to Washington and becomes a superstar, I am going to hunt down every TGGer that was rooting for us not to lose and send them all strongly worded PMs.

_

20. 101GangGreen101

I would be extremely shocked if the Redskins took Mariota. That's the NFL draft for ya though.