What are you seeing at the Movies?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Umphpool, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That Franchise is giving Marvel fits isn't it. It's nowhere near as popular as their other brands and it should be considering its one of Marvel's oldest. I think its mostly a victim of bad casting coupled with bad character development and mashed up storylines.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dr. Doom is a internet hacker...This is not a joke.

This is a disaster

3. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Yeah I know... They are (Extremely) loosely following the Ultimate FF storyline. Least Kate Mara is Cute

4. Cman68

Exactly what I was talking about Poe. Whomever is in charge of the FF movie division should be fired immediately before he does permanent damage to the brand. Daredevil comes to mind and this person, if not fired, should be kept far away from the upcoming Dr. Strange effort.

Poeman likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I saw A Most Violent Year today. As others have said, GREAT FILM. Very original and well acted. Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain were fantastic.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Going to see Seventh Son this weekend.

7. Cman68

that movie has my curiosity too. I might check out the matinee on Saturday or Sunday AM.

8. The Dark Knight

Finally saw American Sniper. Great film. Seeing that and A Most Violent Year in the same week was a pretty good week at the cinema. Sadly, I think we are entering a dry patch until Summer movie season.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Saw American Sniper for the third time this past weekend.
    Such an awesome movie.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have not yet seen American Sniper, or Birdman, which sounds like many love it, but I doubt from what I've read that it would supplant the competition to be my favorite film released last year. Same for Selma.

Of the ones I have seen I did enjoy Boyhood very much, but really A Most Violent Year despite not being nominated for an Oscar (imo their releasing it on New Year's Eve was a bad idea in terms of strategy) was the best film released last year. In fact I'd have to go back a couple of years to say some other film might have been better. It's not perfect, and some complain it is marketed to suggest it is more a conventional and more violent gangster film. But it is really a great film. I already intend to buy it on DVD when it comes out, since I know I will want to see it multiple times.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I heard about this film...heard its a gangster film. I would bang Jessica Chastain, so I need to see this movie if its very good

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Imitation Game was good.

13. The Dark Knight

It is tough for me to pick a best film of 2014. Plenty great ones. Jessica Chastain stars in 2 though with Interstellar and A Most Violent Year.

I am sure I am forgetting some films but here is a rough Top 10:
    1. Interstellar
    2. A Most Violent Year
    3. Birdman
    4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    5. American Sniper
    6. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
    7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    8. The Lego Movie
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy
    10. The Drop

14. Big Blocker

To be clear it is fair to say it has something of the feel of a gangster film. But it is not at all typical of the genre, and in specific the characters are involved in a somewhat corrupt but mostly legitimate busiess, that being selling home heating oil. They are not mobsters. The violence level is also not high, the reference to a violent year being 1981, the peak of the crime wave in New York, as the year in which it was set.

I don't think you should misunderstand the film before you see it.

15. Big Blocker

I liked Interstellar as well. I have not seen American Sniper yet, but will. I see you liked Birdman, which is getting a lot of talk about winning hte Oscar. I will see it at some point, and may be pleasantly surprised, but the sound of it to me is not all that compelling.

An interesting film was Imitation Game, which I enjoyed for the setting, acting (it is one of those films for which Keira Knightley was well cast, and Cumberbatch in the lead was near excellent). but it took some liberties with the real story, always a risk with an adaptation from a true story, and I may risk sounding insufficiently PC but I felt it was a bit too much hitting the audience over the head with the discrimination against homosexuals angle. Still I gave it an 8 while I gave Violent Year a 9 (I don't give tens to recent films - I haven't given a 10 since The Thin Red Line. I guess I did for Lost in Translation, mostly because I thought Bill Murray was totally awesome in it.)

I really look forward to American Sniper, though. I also will want to see this art film Mr. Turner. Turner is my favorite painter of all time, and I saw the trailer in the theater, and that is a film that HAS to be seen on the big screen.

Well, enough film criticism for one day. It is after all the off season, and I don't do the Beautiful Women thread anymore.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

As expected, Jupiter Ascending is getting panned, aside from the occasional hack telling you to enjoy the fun movie full of shiny sparkly things and loud bangs.

17. Cman68

The reviews are all over the place. Evidently you're either gonna like it or hate it with very little to no middle ground. I guess as long as you know what to expect (or not), you won't be disappointed. Sounds like this is a movie made for downloading or at most, a rainy day matinee.

Lately, DVDSCR's have been winding up online fairly quick so I think I'll wait until it one comes along for JA.

18. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

One movie that's flying under the radar is Kingsman: The Secret Service. The commercials make it look like your average CGI fest but it's got an 8.3 on IMDB after close to 8000 ratings and the metacritic score is a 73, that's at a cumulative close to the average score of the Oscar nominees for Best Picture this year.

#298 Charlie Kelly, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Oh it's definitely on the list.

And I think this is the first time I can honsetly say I'm excited to see a Colin Firth movie.

_

20. Cman68

Saw "50 shades of Grey" today. IMO, the movie did not live up to the hype. Its a love story. Its about BDSM as well. Mostly its about a innocent young girl exploring her sexuality. The acting was... passable. Not much for character development. Things did move quickly along though.. For all of those folks who believe themselves to be the arbiters of public morality, stay home and watch the 600 club or some other uplifting programming. This movie is NOT FOR YOU. I repeat, THIS MOVIE IS NOT FOR YOU.

For those that know of such things either by participation or vicariously, you will be mildly entertained by the BDSM scenes but mostly unimpressed by the nudity and the plot. I think once the word gets out on this movie, you'll see the attendance numbers plummet. Sadly, this movie is the first part of yet another trilogy. How lucky can we get... Most folks in the theatre just kinda laughed at a few scenes but for the most part were blase and the ending left much to be desired.

"50 shades of Grey" is mostly 2 hours of BDSM blended with a harsh introduction into the darkside of sex for an innocent girl. I think there won't be any awards given out for this movie under any catagory.

TNJet likes this.