Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

Ah that's very cool - I've got a cousin in Tokyo doing the conversational english thing, he's been there 15 years now and never plans on leaving. And yeah I feel like I get a good dose of asian multiculturalism here. A couple of the towns close by are majority Vietnamese... but who doesn't love a good Banh-Mi? And I could seriously live off pho for the rest of my life if I had to.

And hell ya the women are hot! I've got a thing for filipino women... and sisig. hahaha I've "dated" a few vietnamese women and from my experiences they're like the italian chicks of asia - they're tough. That goes for any of southeast asia I think.

But yeah I know what you mean about the cultural differences, there's really no time for pleasantries in most of everyday asian culture. Everything is hurried and pushing each other out of the way... and yes of course insulting also. It's actually funny when I take friends out on the weekend for dim sum or something and they'll say "I think they hate us because we're white"... and I get to reassure them that they're exactly the same way no matter who you are. lol

LOL... how do you "give an example" of a pervert without having people look at you funny?

It's awesome to find the place where you want to be. I grew up on the east coast in Connecticut and I've spent time living in New Jersey and NYC.... but I didn't really get far enough away. I moved out here in 2003 with my now ex because she got a job out here and the rest was history. We originally said 1 year, then 2... then 5... then 10... now I know this is the place for me. I love everything about it and think it generally makes me a better person. From my perspective most people would be happy somewhere other than where they are but they don't know because they've never asked themselves the question "why not?". Either that or convinced themselves the answers matter.

This is home. I fit in here. Most days I take a moment to kind of get a grip on where I am and what I'm doing - and I'm as content as a human being could be. I'm sure you feel the same in a lot of ways. I'm sure you've had challenges with learning your way around, maybe being looked at funny or whatever else - but you've made it and carved out the life you want to life for yourself in a place most people will never learn about let alone visit themselves. When I went back to NYC last year to try to move closer to some of my family it became really clear how NY just wasn't a place I wanted to be. All the things I held in high regard as a youngster pretty much flipped on their head and I realized the best parts of my life could not exist on the east coast. I had to go back, but I'm glad for the experience because even though I always knew I loved living out here, I don't think I quite understood just how much it meant to me. Have you ever tried to come back for an extended period of time?

2. SteveGrogan

Officiating may not be part of the investigation, but not knowing the starting point of both the Colts and Patriots footballs makes a comparison very difficult.

I think we just need to wait to see what comes out of the entire thing. My gut feeling says nothing... but I'm not convinced of anything either.

3. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I hope the cheating Bastards don't take the Superbowl. Goodell , man up and suspend the boss's boy, Tom.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Seems like Goodell knows he can't slap the wrist here...if a punishment is indeed found to be necessary.

Burning Elvii likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't mean to call you a dick, but if NFL protocol is that every football must be at LEAST 12.5 psi but no MORE than 13.5 psi or they get removed from the rotation, and Anderson GAUGED every single ball, then you HAVE to acknowledge that EVERY SINGLE ball that was handed to the ball boy was at LEAST 12.5 psi but not MORE than 13.5 psi.

If you cannot acknowledge that then you are just being a dick.

So I'M not calling you a dick, you're admitting it yourself.

_

rammagen and Burning Elvii like this.
  6. SteveGrogan

I agree that the referee said he checked. And if he checked, then all balls would be somewhere between 12.5-13.5 psi.

I don't know where they were at halftime. I don't know how far under they were found to be after. I'm not sure of either of those things on the Colts footballs except an assumption that when re-checked they were not below 12.5.

I think at best it's the word of the referee against the team right now. I would not expect any action to be taken without having some proof the referee inspection happened before the game. And by all accounts, none exists.

I think that satisfies enough of a more than reasonable doubt. I think Occam's Razor suggests one thing, it is impossible to prove another in any way that sounds reasonable, even for a 51% threshold.

But honestly.... as a fan, I'd rather see some kind of proof that they didn't do it - if such a thing could even possibly exist - since they've already essentially lived with this I really am not interested in a quiet exoneration but a real and loud apology from the league.

My happiness isn't affected by you calling me a dick. If you

7. JStokes

So you want MORE proof than what the ref has asserted.

You need some sort of documentation that has never been required under NFL protocols.

Ok, so you're acknowledging you're being a dick.

This isn't a courtroom, the threshold will actually be very low.

It's not on the league to prove to the Pats that they didn't cheat.

It's on the PATS to convince the league why ALL of their balls were underinflated below league minimum while the Colts balls were within the league minimums.

Dick.

_

rammagen likes this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

BINGO

9. SteveGrogan

Documentation may not be required for a football. But documentation is required if you want to prove where a football's psi began. The ref's "assertion" is also what they "said".

You are correct - sort of. Family and civil court still operates on a 51% probability.

LOL and seriously what's with the names dude? Are you 14 or something? You've got to realize at some point I'm not exactly offended - right?

10. JStokes

This isn't family court or civil court. And I'm a lawyer.

It's about the league handing out punishment based upon theost likely culprit. And here it's about public perception.

And you've consistently been a dick since you got here and it kind of gives me the jollies to say so. You admired it yourself.

Gotta go, cooking dinner dick.

_

11. SteveGrogan

It's not court at all. And I don't believe you're a day over 16.

12. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

I hope they really get it this time for thumbing their nose at the league .

Give em this:

No draft for next 3 years, BB and Brady suspended, Ernie Adams banned for being a rogue agent since the cheats wont come clean on his real role others than 'film study'.....mcdaniels banned too. Have the pats org have to pay 250 million fine, this would be a huge deterrent. F*** them hard with no you know what

13. JStokes

Oh listen to the big Vice President with the time honored dicky dig.

Age jokes now? Really?

Your team cheated AGAIN and no one will ever give them credit.

Ever.

Enjoy your tainted faux championships.

_

rammagen likes this.
  14. SteveGrogan

Ernie Adams was there way before anyone else on that sideline. (or press box)

15. SteveGrogan

Enjoy life.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

let us know how your dinner dick worked out.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  17. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

is dinner dick easy to cook?

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

depends on your desired PSI

19. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

That is not correct. The evidentiary standard in an administrative/civil proceeding is preponderance of the evidence. That can be quantified as 50.0xxxx1% or summarized as "more probable than not." A sworn affidavit from the head referee and attending officials and witnesses would suffice. The reason for this is that the sworn statements of disinterested parties are weighed with a higher degree of truthfulness than potentially self-serving statements made by individuals involved. Certainly documentation would be helpful but if the Patriots are relying upon attacking the integrity of the officiating crew that would generally not be a good idea and the burden of proof would most certainly shift to the defendant in that circumstance.

Regarding the proof, IF the reports by the media are accurate, the NFL has met the burden of proof at this point in time. Assumptions made by the uneducated public about what constitutes proof in proceedings are grossly inaccurate as a result of media distortion and inaccurate tv/movie depictions. We are not looking at a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard here as most pundits would have you believe due to too many Law & Order repeats. Remember, you only need reasonable suspicion to conduct a Terry stop and a search warrant only requires probable cause. Both are lower thresholds than preponderance of the evidence, and for obtaining a warrant, it is not by much in practical application. Given what has been reported at this point at time - and if accurate - we have far exceeded the necessary standard and I would also argue that Brady has made some public statements against self-interest, specifically to his teammates, that are not helpful to the cause.

Burning Elvii likes this.
  20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

12.5-13.5 somewhere around there.

will it fill me up? i only have two brussels sprouts to go with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.