Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Oh googly moogly it's the evil Jets doing this all to the sterling reputation of the Patriots. Hearing you think must be similar to a woman experiencing onset PMS.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I didn't write either piece. Just cut and pasted them.

Just sharing my "sources"

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

NFL bears plenty of blame for #DeflateGate

Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2015, 3:03 PM EST
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    At this point, it’s unclear whether the NFL will find any evidence to support the suspicion that someone from the Patriots deliberately caused footballs to lose air pressure. If the NFL fails to find a proverbial smoking gun, that alone could become a different kind of smoking gun.
    Even if (and at this point it could be a big if) the league finds proof of foul play, was it really worth it? The NFL has tarnished its own shield by painting a Super Bowl participant as a cheater without clear evidence of cheating. As noted on Friday, some believe that former Commissioners (such as Paul Tagliabue) would have addressed complaints coming from teams like the Colts regarding underinflated footballs not by trying to lay a trap for the Patriots, but by letting the Patriots know that the league office is paying attention to the situation, and that if there’s any funny business happening it needs to stop, now. Instead, the league office opted to try to catch the Patriots red handed.
    But what was the NFL really found? As one league source has explained it to PFT, the football intercepted by Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was roughly two pounds under the 12.5 PSI minimum. The other 10 balls that reportedly were two pounds under may have been, as the source explained it, closer to one pound below 12.5 PSI.
    The NFL has yet to share specific information regarding the PSI measurements of the balls that were confiscated and measured at halftime. Which has allowed the perception of cheating to linger, fueled by the confirmation from Friday that the NFL found underinflated balls, but that the NFL still doesn’t know how they came to be that way.
    “The goals of the investigation will be to determine the explanation for why footballs used in the game were not in compliance with the playing rules and specifically whether any noncompliance was the result of deliberate action,” the league said. “We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence.”
    Regardless of how hard or easy it could be or should be to get to the truth, the NFL owes it to the Patriots and the league to get there, quickly. Instead, the premier American sporting event apparently will be played under a dark cloud, and anything other than an eventual finding of cheating will seem anticlimactic and contrived. Even if the conclusion is regarded as legitimate, it won’t undo the damage that the Patriots and the NFL will have suffered during this bizarre period of pending allegations that have not yet been proven.
    So at a time when the league office is still reeling from an insufficient investigation in the Ray Rice case, the league office now faces even more criticism for a clumsy sting operation that possibly will end up being a swing and a miss. Surely, much of that criticism will be directed privately at the league office from the Patriots.
    Complicating matters for the NFL is that the bat initially was swung by Mike Kensil, a former employee of the Jets with a reputation among the Patriots for being an agitator. (Kensil’s father, Jim, served as president of the Jets for 10 years from the late 1970s to the late 1980s.) And so on the same day that the tampering charges filed by the Patriots against the Jets over Darrelle Revis became the latest chapter in a longstanding feud between the franchises, the tentacles of acrimony between the two franchises found a way to erupt into a brouhaha unlike many the NFL ever has seen.
    The NFL never should have let this specific situation get to that point. Even if the league deemed it proper to lay a trap, they should have realized the challenges of actually making a trap work. In this case, it appears that they didn’t.

4. Charlie Kelly

I have yet to read any Patriots fan explain in intelligent and rational fashion why BB did that science press conference to begin with. He had a conference 3 days before and at the end he said it was all he was going to say on the subject and stonewalled reporters for 5 straight minutes with similar responses. Old stoic Belichick.

Then on Saturday he does an almost unannounced conference saying that he's not a scientist or football expert and then goes on with a bunch of science about footballs. I also saw a bunch of Pats fans jerking off to it even though it really made no sense for him to be doing that conference.

Explain it please? Why did he do a 180 and also basically contradict his historically aloof behavior with the press about something so insignificant and unrelated to the most important game of the year?

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Patriots did not use 12 brand new NFL footballs so this test is erroneous.

6. Charlie Kelly

I guess you're just a bot, I'm sorry for assuming there was human thought behind your post.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He needed to do that conference. He challenged the league to show it's cards. I seriously doubt he does this if he thought for one second the league had had anything on him.

He stated straight up that he and the team have done everything they are going to do to try to explain the footballs.

He also said that the team followed 100% the letter of the law while telling the league to put up or shut up.

Most importantly he needed to do this for his players.

"This team was the best team in the AFC in the regular season. We won two games in the playoffs against two good football teams. The best team in the postseason, that’s what this team is. I know that because I’ve been with them every day and I’m proud of this team."

8. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

So while you feel this is a slam dunk, let me throw this interview, of an official out there which casts doubt on the officials always doing their job.

Here's another source for you:

Q: Who from the team brings the balls to the officials, and does the testing take place in the officials’ locker room?

JD: “The equipment manager will bring a bag of 12 or 24 footballs — it depends on the weather. The backup balls they’ll keep in the locker room or the replay room during the game. But those footballs come directly from each equipment manager in a bag, and once they go into the officials’ locker room, nobody has access to them except for the officials. So nobody can sneak in there and let the air out or put air in or do anything. There’s usually a security guard in there, so the footballs sit in the officials’ locker room for two hours until they go out onto the field

Q: So the teams don’t warm up with the game balls?

JD: No, they don’t have the footballs. The footballs go out about 10 minutes before the game.

Q: Any chance Walt Anderson didn’t stick a pressure gauge in each of the 24 or 36 footballs? Maybe he just did the squeeze test?

JD: “They have a gauge and they have to check every football. It’s usually given to the youngest or newest member of the crew — it’s almost like a rite of passage into the NFL. During the playoffs, it’s usually an alternate official, so it’s a veteran official that does it. I would not even question whether they did or not. It’s just something you do, like putting your pants on or getting ready for the game.”

Q: The confusion is that we’ve heard stories this week from equipment managers that they would over- or under-inflate footballs and hope to sneak them through inspection.

JD: “I can’t deny that that happens. Somebody may be lazy. I can tell you it’s not the norm. I know there are some guys that probably don’t do it quite as diligently as others, but they’re required to check the air. I don’t even question whether Walt and his crew did that.”

Q: Is there a protocol to check the footballs at halftime or after the game?

JD: “Once the balls are checked, the officials have no contact with them at all. The game goes on, they walk off the field, no one ever looks at a football after the game.”

Q: So how common is it for something like this to pop up?

JD: “In 23 years, this is the first time other than with a kicking football. We used to have some issues with kickers, they do strange things with footballs, and that’s why the competition committee requires the manufacturer to send a package of footballs directly to the officials in their hotel. And then the officials never lose sight of those footballs, so the players don’t have any access to kicking balls, ever.”

Q: That’s a good point. What is the protocol for the kicking balls on game day?

JD: “Those are opened up in the locker room by the officials. They are scrubbed down and checked for pressure, then kept under the watchful eye of the kicking-ball coordinator. That’s an individual who is hired by the league specifically to handle the kicking balls, and that’s all he does. It’s looking like this is the wave of the future. The NFL may have to hire ballboy coordinators to handle all the footballs.”

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think everyone on this site knows how I feel about this witch hunt.

10. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

Both are true, but the Pats would first be responsible, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SteveGrogan

Weds random thoughts.

12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

And only dumb witted pat fans and goodell lovers buy this total off the wall rant given by a known cheater.

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

14. Charlie Kelly

Why would he need to challenge the league if he had done nothing wrong?

Oh yeah I forgot, ex Jets employees are trying to railroad him LOL

NY Jets68 likes this.
  15. Charlie Kelly

You have become probably the biggest joke in this thread (outside of JV28 and that Pats fan that thinks the Dolphins tampered with the Ravens), and you continue to portray yourself as objective

16. Charlie Kelly

I gotta say, at first I thought that the league was going to find only circumstantial evidence about this thing that didn't look all that bad to begin with. But the more that comes out of Patriots camp, especially that laughable science project press conference, it really looks like that Pats are worried. There's pretty much no chance of any verdict before the SB, and if the Pats just kick the crap out of Seattle then the NFL may brush it all under the rug to protect their biggest game, but if the Pats lose?

Oh that could be so much fun! It would be such a great day not to be a Patriot fan!

17. SteveGrogan

OK... let's have a bet. You are convinced. As are many of you in here. What are you willing to do if you're wrong about the Patriots? What pain are you willing to experience to prove your words with something real other than by being loud or angry?

I want to gauge your actual conviction. Not just the one you throw around. That goes for anyone in here.

Prove you're not just a foamer.

18. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

uh oh
    The Applebee's Challenge™

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

[​IMG] For the pats fans,youre getting low. grasp up

20. Charlie Kelly

You know what you do when you assume? I'm talking about your flip flop nonsense on this thread. Stop pretending you know my mind, I only know yours because you have been vomiting it in this thread nonstop for almost a week.

Oh wait I missed the "pain" part. What would you suggest Mr VP and part owner of a company and very professional that has an entire week to spend on a Jets message board arguing about a football team? What pain are you talking about, Big Shot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.