Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

ESPN verified that the results were 2psi less each:

"According to ESPN, 11 of the 12 game balls were found to be underinflated by about 2 pounds each."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...d-footballs/7UlPZI3eotRTBadM89saeO/story.html

"The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?...p&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

2. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Hey at least you have the balls to come on here and spew your homer isms.

On the Pats forum, they don't let you join. Their deflategate thread is 300 pages of them all agreeing with and blowing each other. It's pretty funny.

74, NY Jets68 and Walt White like this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

LMAO!!

4. felker

felker Active Member

What I am saying is that if you don't have a temperature (and ideally a humidity) measurement to go along with pressure you have BUPKIS. You have no idea if air was removed or not. This is basic physics.

And no, I don't think you can illustrate any advantage. The Patriots had much better results in the 2nd half of the Colts game with supposedly rule-compliant balls.

5. Falco21

That's neither here nor there.

No one is saying they would have lost that game or they were only doing well because of the balls. But there is a distinct advantage to having deflated balls. Easier to throw, easier to catch, easier to grip leading to less fumbles. Something New England has magically been known to never commit in relation to the rest of the league.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Won't somebody please think of the Colts footballs???!??

[​IMG]

7. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

I find it boring to talk football with Patriots fans because I hate most of them. Like I keep saying... I was there when there was no hope. Its not the same kind of fan that becomes a fan because they decided they like a winner. I respect the fans in here more than that.

I've lived in NJ and NYC, and most of my friends from back there are Jets fans (I know some are on this forum which is how I heard about it).

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah fuck all the facts, maybe Mort made it up and it was only .2 psi.

Seriously, fuck all the facts.

It was only .2 psi.

Lol Pats fans are such dicks.

Not you Grogan.

Ok, yeah, you.

_

9. Falco21

Fuck 'em all!

I find it hilarious how we, Patriots haters, just listen to everything that incriminates them and nothing else. It's not like we are going off of facts we were presented.

74 likes this.
  10. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

again it effects both teams balls to the same percentage. Let's ignore science and say there is some magical force that surrounds the pats. that magical force needs to bend basic laws of physics. 2 lbs being the magic number here 2 lb not 1.
    I think Bellicheat found a loop hole exploited it yet again and needs to be slammed. Sorry but you can not lie your way out of physical laws. What he describes the balls need to be placed in a a heated room as part of the pregame tretment to bring the temp of the air inside the ball to close to if not 100 degrees. That is still cheating by trying to circumvent the rules

Fact #1: Pressure varies with temperature. Whole thing is very, very well understood and is described by something called the ideal gas law. Here's a relevant Link.

Fact #2 Like tires, balls lose pressure over time. They lose it even faster when damaged or squeezed. Ever wonder why people offer nitrogen inflation? Air is mostly a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen. The nitrogen is bigger as a molecule. Because of that, oxygen escapes 3-4 times the rate of nitrogen. Air leakage will depend on a LOT of factors, materials of construction, impacts, damage (to name a few). But, the take away is that there is a reason you have to re-inflate your tires and a reason you have to put more air in footballs after usage.

The Theory Ideal gas law states that P1/T1 = P2/T2. In normal people words, the pressure at one point in time divided by the temperature at the same time equals the pressure at a second point in time divided by the temperature at that point in time. The next thing to know is you have to use annoying SI units to make all that work. So, the pressures need to be in torr or atm and the temperature has to be in Kelvin.

He did the math Let's go ahead and assume that the Patriots knew that it was cold and that they'd like a softer ball. So they filled the balls to the minimum pressure allowed, which is 12.5 PSI. It is important to note that this is 12.5 PSI greater than atmospheric conditions. Or said differently, the pressure on the inside of the football is 12.5 PSI more than the pressure outside the football. This matters because it 12.5 PSI equals 0.85 atmospheres, but then you have to add the 1 atmosphere of pressure that the instrument ignores. This makes the pressure 1.85 atmospheres for our equation. And we're going to assume the referee's measured the balls in a temperature controlled building kept at about room temperature (72 F or 22C or 295K). Now, the balls are placed outside. The weather for the game was 51 settling down into the upper 40's as the evening went on. We'll just use the highest one (51F, 10.5C, 283.7K). We then use our handy dandy calculator and arrive at a pressure of 1.78 atmospheres (0.78 atmospheres above normal pressure, or 11.5 psi as measured). So, an acceptable game ball that is simply placed outside loses 1 psi.

for it to loose 2 lbs
    P1T2 = P2T1

Assuming the pressure was the bare minimum to start (12.5psi), the temperature in the locker room was 72 degrees, and the temperature outside was 50 degrees:

(12.5)(50+460) = P2(72+460)

P2 = 11.98 psi

So just from the temperature drop, it would lose just half a psi.

Also for fun, the temperature needed for the ball to lose 2 psi:

(12.5)(T2+460) = 10.5(72+460)

T2 = -13.12 degrees

74, FlaJet and PulseJet like this.
  11. JStokes

Doppler 5000 definitively proved the atmospheric conditions on the Indy side were different than on the Pats side.

So it's a non story. Lol.

_

12. Falco21

We are idiots because we only believe shit that makes New England look bad and fall in our favor.

Yeah.

We should be believing Bill Belichecks science project instead. That's a real fact!

13. JStokes

We should only look at the absolute made up bullshit that exonerates them.

Not the mountain of circumstantial evidence that completely convicts them.

_

14. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha... I expect to be thought of as an asshole in here. In a related story... a few years ago my buddy, giant Jets fan - came with to Oakland to see the Patriots play them after the Jets had just lost to them at home the week before.

He showed up in a Jets jersey (I was sitting in a section pre-purchased for a patriots fan group) sat next to me and cheered against the Patriots the whole time inviting ridicule from both the Patriots and Raider fans.

How can I not respect that sort of thing? I mean what a loser... but what balls.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'M NOT A SCIENTIST

[​IMG]

17. rammagen

so int he second half exposed to colder elements the balls did not deflate......come one now same balls and it was colder in the second half

NY Jets68 likes this.
  18. rammagen

not my fault you won't or can'tread what proves they cheated

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I'm from upstate NY, but lived in NH '77 to '03. It was a rare occurrence to ever see anyone with Pats gear before they won a few games, like in '85 and '96. Then all of the sudden in '01 everyone, everyone, everyone and their brother were Pats fans all their lives.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

What proves they can cheated can be summed up in 10 words: The Patriots' balls were deflated; the Colts' balls were not. Everything else is irrelevant (particularly math).

TNJet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.