Deflate-gate

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 74, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

It's an ESPN story, for the NFL's media arm to report it would mean that their ship has leaks and their investigation has been undermined by a competing media outlet. I wouldn't expect any report on NFLN/.com until it comes from the NFL public relations team or the commissioner after findings from the investigation team are complete.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea I noticed that too

3. SmoothLefty21

SmoothLefty21 Member

The punishment is all going to come down to how harshly the league views "intent" here. It's pretty black and white, the Patriots intentionally planned to circumvent the rules to gain an advantage. This isn't like the formation nonsense they pulled against Baltimore, which was technically legal though arguably bushleague.

This move is basically Belichick giving the finger to the league. I don't think a deflated football will make that much of a difference and it certainly wasn't the reason the Colts lost but it's about the Patriots and Belichick being idiots. Which is baffling too, as to why the supposed "genius" keeps getting caught. Plus, why risk this against a Colts team that you're going to pound anyway?

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I heard that they started doing this at halftime in the Ravens game. has this actually been reported?

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Because they're egomaniacal bastards, they don't think they'll get caught or punished beyond a little wrist slap in the event that they do

6. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

The only thing that baffles me is this: the officials handle the ball before every play, how the F did they not notice something? Does the corruption run that deep?

7. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

@MikeFreeman
    I'm hearing from numerous players on the Patriots. I have players saying Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl.

Poeman likes this.
  10. JetsHuskers fan

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to write a flowery essay on logic--your opinion as to what is significant or insignificant is vastly different than mine, and whether you don't care whether the cheating is only slightly punishable (or none at all) or massively punishable is besides the point.

A lineman intentionally holding, a player intentionally taking a PI penalty, a team intentionally taking a delay of game penalty is part of the game. The rules provide the punishment on the field.

Corking a bat, underinflating balls, using illegal substances, filming sidelines, salary cap circumvention are blatant violation of the rules that if determined will cause OFF the field penalties--ejection, suspension, monetary fines, loss of draft picks.

Big difference. It may not be that big of a deal if it can't be determined that the Pats intentionally did this--they'll default to the stance that there wasn't enough evidence to convict.

I get that YOU don't think it's a big deal, but it is not very analogous to what transpires on the field as a matter of course during a game.

If the penalty for an infraction is 15 yards and a first down, that's part of the game.

If the penalty is (or could be) a monetary fine, ejection, suspension, loss of draft picks, loss of salary cap space--not so much.

_

12. JStokes

It's probably imperceptible to the touch, but every QB that's been interviewed this am says it definitely improves grip and performance.

I don't think it's like a slightly dead basketball that when you bounce it you can tell it's a little flat.

_

13. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

HANG THEM ALL. Ban them from the SB and suspend Brady and Belicheat next season.

#353 MiamiDolphin, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Poeman likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That has been the Patriots fans excuse for their team for every time they cheat. Yet, the Pats are the only team that gets caught. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt Belichick will be suspended for the Super Bowl. As much as I hate the team and the guy even I think that's a harsh penalty (plus if they somehow win the status of the team will just be boosted that much more and the media will glorify them further). I saw fine them $1mil which is double the fine for Spy Gate, take 2 first round draft picks (again double from spygate) from them and suspend Belichick for the entire offseason and first 3 games of the season without pay. Mostly due to the fact that he's a repeat offender.

I would also state that if the Patriots are caught with even the most minimal degree of cheating or bending the rules for the duration of Brady/Belichick's career (or beyond) he will be banned from the game and all records recorded under his tenure will be marked with an asterisk (which, in my mind, they already are but it will be official).

I think it's fair to be hard on Belichick because he's the coach but Brady shouldn't get off scott free either. He's the one handling these balls and he is going to act like he didn't know they were deflated? Please. He knew about SpyGate and he knew about this and probably dozens of other illegal things they've done over the years that they got away with.

16. JStokes

Funny you should ask that.

Folks keep pointing out that the Patriots would have beaten the Colts if the game were played with a beachball.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

But the Pats beat the Ravens by FOUR POINTS.

Would the slight edge in a using a deflated ball have made a difference in THAT game?

And it was MUCH colder for that game (not wet) so the benefit may have been even greater.

You know the Pats have been doing this for a while. If I'm the Ravens I'm pissed.

_

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Don't you think the penalty should be harsh if you are caught cheating in the game that leads to playing in the superbowl? It SHOULD effect the superbowl if you were cheating on your way in!

18. JStokes

Patriot canned excuses (can be used for their multiple cheating scandals):

Everyone does it.

There is no benefit to doing it.

The refs should have figured this out and stopped it.

Any more?

_

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Hey I'm not going to complain. If they ban Belichick and Brady from the NFL for life and strip them of all their titles earned I will be dancing for joy and laughing at my friends who are Patriots fans until I pass out...I'm just not so sure the NFL will go as far as to suspend a coach from a Super Bowl game. I think they will conveniently finish their investigation after the Super Bowl and hand out punishment then.

20. JetsHuskers fan

They are blaming the Indy guy who broke it. Along with Pagano

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.