NFL Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJalltheway, Jan 18, 2015.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Clinton Dix had the game bounce off of both his hands also. It can came down to that to.

And if Wilson doesnt hit that 2 point conversion, Green Bay probably wins. Speaking of which, that was another error, I was saying for them to use the time outs, I watched the clock go from 1:30 seconds to 45 seconds and they didnt use their timeouts. Seattle was on its heels but Rodgers was on a gimpy leg running the fast pace offense.

Just so many errors. And it doesnt go away, ever, it will last an eternity. I know because I watched the Spurs meltdown, still hurts, because I wanted to beat that Heat team, the same way Green Bay wanted to beat that Seattle team yesterday. Even if they come back and beat Seattle in the postseason next year its still not the same, this team was the defending champs who were unstoppable at home.... Its a crippling loss for an organization that knows nothing but success.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I still don't get that . the ball was in the air forever yet the corner allowed it to get to the receiver. He was right next to him too.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

And he let him in the endzone. At that point just push the reciever away. The play was chaos. He could have forced the isue to.

4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Ball was in the air for about 3 seconds and traveled 17 yards forward. Insane.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

[​IMG]

we were involved in all 3 games. Lost to Cleveland after leading 20-10 late in 1986 div rd, beat LA Raiders w/ 5 TOs in 17-14 win in 1982 2nd rd and picked off Joe Ferguson 4 times in 31-27 loss at Shea in 1981 WC game.

6. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

This is a great point. The Seahawks have seen the Denvers and New Englands of the world. They know how to play them, they are built to slow those teams down. The Pats have not seen an offense like the Seahawks this year. They have not seen a QB like Wilson. I'm just not sure what team the Pats played this year would have prepared them for the Seahawks on either side of the ball.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

While GB should have won because they had the game in hand.
    The narrative being portrayed that they so outplayed the Seahawks or were the better team is nonsense.
    Bottom line is that GB was in control more-so because of Seattle doing it to themselves.

Green Bay was 3-14 on 3rd down, Seattle was 8 for 16 on 3rd down.
    Green Bay 19 first downs, Seattle 20 first downs.
    Green Bay 306 yards (135 rushing), Seattle 397 yards (194 rushing) - Take out OT and Seattle still ahead for the game.
    TOUCHDOWNS -- Green bay - 1 and Seattle - 4

Punts, penalty yards, return yards, time of possession among other stats were very comparable.

This is the starting field position of Packers scoring drives in the first half.
    Seattle 19 - FG
    Seattle 23 - FG
    Own 44 - TD
    Seattle 33 - FG

All of the FG drives STARTED in FG range.

GB scored early of off field position, but Seattle dominated the end of the game.

#787 Section 336, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Wow. Great post. I didn't remember turning to ball over so many times in that Raider game. My only clear memory of that game is Lance Mehl sealing it with a late INT.

That wildcard loss to the Bills was my first taste of Jet heartbreak. It doesn't get mentioned much, but it was every bit as painful as that OT loss to Cleveland in 86. I'll never forget how Shea went from complete bedlam to complete silence in a matter of seconds after Harper's opening kick fumble ... I honestly thought something happened to the sound on my television. And of course the Simpson INT at the end was a dagger in the heart. It would have been one of the greatest comebacks in NFL postseason history.

I never could have imagined that was only the beginning of 30+ years of near misses and heartbreak.

nyjunc likes this.
  9. nyjunc

1981 is the first year I can vividly remember so that Bills game was really disappointing. I remember how they killed GB a week earlier and everyone thought they'd beat up the Bills but that opening KO led to an awful 1st half. almost pulled it off but Todd's pass was a couple of inches too low. I think it is one of the greatest postseason games in history but it has been lost.

there were a ton of TOs in each playoff game in '81 and '82:

'81 WC vs. Buf:
    Jets 5 TOs including 4 Todd INTs
    Buf 4 TOs, 4 Ferguson INTs

'82 1st rd at Cin:
    Jets 2 TOs(1 Todd INT)
    Cin 4 TOs(3 Anderson INTs)

'82 2nd rd at LA Raiders:
    Jets 5 TOs(2 Todd INTs)
    LA 5 TOs(3 Plunkett INTs)

'82 title game at Mia:
    Jets 5 TOs(5 Todd INTs)
    Mia 4 TOs(3 Woodley INTs)

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Haven't read the last few pages but I still can't believe Morgan Burnett went down intentionally instead of getting as much yardage as possible on that last INT.

I can understanding laying down with a minute left and the other team out of TOs.

5:04 left and Seattle with all their TOs? I understand Peppers gave him the "No Mas" sign but he had daylight to well beyond mid field, probably red zone and possibly a real game sealing score. He had 3-4 lineman and Russell Wilson (who's head was probably on a swivel from his earlier INT hit). If there's a fear about being stripped, make believe you're in Pee Wees and put two arms on the ball.

And I've read chapter and verse about it being the "right play".

I'm not buying it.

[​IMG]
    _

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. nyjunc

I mentioned that the other day, at worst he sets them up in FG range and takes more precious time off the clock. at best he scores a TD and ends the game. didn't make any sense.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Then why weren't they beastly before all these years that they've had Murray

13. JStokes

Incomprehensible. None of what happens afterward would have mattered. He takes in down to the 15, that game is OVER.

_

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Despite his history with the Jets being so so, I have nothing against Pete Carroll. He's in fact done a great job in Seattle, and they look built to maintain success as much as any team in the league right now. And who can't be impressed by such moves as playing your third rounder instead of the guy who just got the big contract? Things like that.

But I don't like Seattle. They seem like a bunch of assholes to me. They also lucked out, with first key injuries to the Cards allowing Seattle to sneak in with the homefield advantage, which they have, obviously. Then facing GB with Rodgers hurt - it definitely affected GB's offense. Then the doofus failure to catch the onside kick.

So these are the guys who we as Jet fans are counting on to stop the hated Patsies?

I might end up watching Downton Abbey or something. The NFL's 2014 season has been awful enough, and it ain't over yet. Damn.

15. JStokes

It's like having to root for the Giants in not one but TWO SBs.

_

NY Jets68 likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, it feels somewhat like that. Ftr I was all in for the midgets their first time up against the Patsies. But the second was pretty close to I don't give a turd territory, even if I mildly rooted for them yet again. It was more like that scene in Patton when the Russians are dancing and Patton and his staff clap as softly as they could.

If we have to suffer watching NE yet again, at least the NFC could have come up with some marginally appealing team to oppose them.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Carroll got the raw deal here not the other way around. I have no issues rooting for him.

While I don't personally have a problem with the Seahawks, I can understand the hate. There are no teams out there like Seattle. I was driving in my car listening to the sirius feed from the local Seattle broadcast of sunday's game and after the final play they interviewed the receiver who caught it (can't remember his name)

Cute sounding female reporter: "receiver, what did Russell Wilson say to you before the last play?"

Receiver (screaming): "HE DIDN'T FUCKING SAY NOTHING... FUCKING NOTHING!!" feed immediately cut- "we apologize for the language..yada yada"

--between that and Sherman's rant last year, Lynch and his attitude.. they are like the bad boys of the NFL

They have an attitude there where they do and say what they want and don't give a shit about how they look. It's not very professional. Listen to their post game interviews in the locker room. In some cities you might have a quiet locker room where guys are quietly and politely discussing the game (like a NE) or a very professional figure in a suit at his locker (like Manning / Rodgers).. not Seattle. They have loud bumping rap music and a freakin party in the locker room and say whatever, or in Lynch's case, whatever they don't want to say.

Again - I don't have a problem with it. I kind of like it but I understand how some wouldn't like that. They remind me a little bit of what the early-Rex Jets teams wanted to be. The brash, bad boys who play violently and bully around the opposition on the field and have the personality to go along with it. I would love that Seattle team if it was ours.

18. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

He was hopped up on Adderall

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I don't get all of the Seattle hate. Yes, I can see people feeling that Sherman is a loud-mouthed jerk and that Lynch is extraordinarily immature with his inability to speak to and deal with the media. Other than that, I don't see it. Guys like Thomas and Chancellor have such a passion and dedication to the game and their craft. And Wilson is just a nice guy that always says the right thing (with a good underdog, chip on his shoulder story from his draft day snub). Also, Pete Carroll looks like such a fun guy to play for, his attitude is very refreshing amidst the misery and intolerableness of social miscreants like Belicheck and Harbaugh (even though he now fled to college, his sideline antics and dealings with the media made him an absolute embarrassment).

They are a great team to root for to take down the Pats.

20. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%! He may end up in field goal range, maybe not. If he gets across the 50, a first down or two would have sealed the game! Stupid play. It may have cost them the game at that point, but it goes in-noticed. Critical play, and it was as if G.B. was satisfied.