NFL Championship Games Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJalltheway, Jan 18, 2015.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Always agreed with that, I have never been impressed with him.
    Brought this up last night. Clinton dix also let a int bounced off his hands with about 3 minutes left.

I'm sure we will see articles about the amount of things that went wrong exactly. Even the 2 pt conversion, wilson threw it up for grabs and the tight end caught it out of the endzone and was able to get in....

Can't blame it all on Bostick.

3. nyjunc

ESPN Stats & Info‏@ESPNStatsInfo 1m1 minute ago
    Seahawks won despite 5 turnovers. Teams with 5+ turnovers had lost 45 consecutive postseason games (last to win: 1982 Jets)

That was the win at LA in the 2nd rd, we won 17-14 turning it over 5 times in part b/c LA also turned it over 5 times. We would turn it over 5 times again the following week in the AFC Championship Game and lose.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Packers will have to avenge it next year. They should have a decent shot because the seahawks will take a step back. I look at green bay and Dallas as 1 and 2 next year.

5. nyjunc

how can you make that proclamation when we haven't even started the offseason? The key to Dallas this year was Murray and he may not be back.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The key was the offensive line. They get defensive players back next season. I put them right up there with green bay for next season.

I don't see any team in the south jumping to the forefront, and the west, Seattle will regress. Do I believe in the Cardinals or rams? Not yet.

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The surest way to lose football games is to kick FG's from inside the 3 yard line. For 3o years I've been saying I would go for EVERY 4th down from the 3 or closer (the only exception being kicking the FG to tie or win at the end of the game). When the Packers were up 16-0 I told my cousin if I had to bet on the game right then, I'd take Seattle. I've seen it 1,000 times. Like anything else, there are exceptions ... But week in and week out, if you went for it every time in those spots during the season, the benefits would outweigh the risk by a large margin.

Mangini did the same thing in Seattle in 2008 and it cost us a trip to the playoffs ... Punting from the Seattle 27 yard line didn't help us either. Neutering your own offense is almost always a mistake, and you can add McCarthy to the list now.

NYJetsO12 and NYJalltheway like this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Green Bay didn't go for the kill after getting the ball already up 19-7, with 5:07 remaining on the clock. When are coaches going to learn to play aggressively with the lead? There is no excuse for running into the line three straight times when you have Green Bay's offense at your disposal. They have a mediocre running game and arguably the best quarterback in the league (or damn close) . . . At least throw the ball on third down there. Just incredible.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. nyjunc

especially w/ Rodgers, if you can't trust him then who can you trust? I get being a little conservative but at least run some conservative pass plays and not 3 runs.

10. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

The Packers lost their game in the 1st QTR when they settled for FGs on 2 drives near the goal line. They played "not to lose" instead of playing to win. Way too conservative, and it came back to bite them in the arse.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We lost a game to Pittsburgh in round 1 or 2 with Doug fucking Brien...That still haunts me.

Also, the Pittsburgh game where Rex basically was shit in the first half as a coach in 2010 only to have us show up in 2nd half was gut wrenching

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The key is Murray for Dallas...That line helped for sure, but Murray was the engine that helped Dallas win games.

13. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

It's so annoying because playing not to lose is the wrong way.

BB may get slammed for "running up the score" but its absolutely the right way to play. This isn't peewee football, no mercy rules.

Green Bay played soft and lost because of it, they were totally dominant then put it into neutral and started coasting. They should have been up by at least 28 at parts of the game and had never needed to look back, it was pathetic. They never even tried to put it back into gear, even during Seattle's rally it was the same it was for the 2nd half, no effort, no killer instinct.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. nyjunc

That was bad as was Cle 1986 but neither were title games and the Brien game we didn't have a big late lead in, imagine leading by double digits in the final mins and losing a chance to go to SB.

the Pitt title game was bad but again we didn't blow lead, we just couldn't get the ball back(Sea's D- a real great D- would have got the ball back for their O).

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

How about 17-6 lead going into halftime of AFC championship game against Indy...I was less upset with that one then the Pittsburgh game.

WE also should have beat Elway in 1999....FUCKKKKKKK

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Sanchez would have beaten Elway!

17. nyjunc

It was 17-13 going into the half.

10-0 lead in 3rd qtr at Denver 1998 title game but again those were nothing compared to what we saw yesterday in Seattle.

18. nyjunc

Not really since QB wasn't the issue that day but Mark has never thrown 2 INTs in a playoff game let alone 3 or 4 like the QBs yesterday.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think ya'll are overthinking it. the Pack lost simply because they couldn't corral the onside kick.

Normally I would agree they should be less conservative but damn that thing was wrapped up. They needed to run clock to kill some clock and they had an injured QB to boot. Run the ball, it's essentially over anyway. The onside kick recovery percentage is like 19% the last 15 years and I'd venture to say that the percentage is skewed by examples where they are recovered are more than often on surprise kicks and not ones with the game on the line...

up 19-7 with under 4 minutes there is NO way they should've lost that game and it's hard to blame that on the offense/offensive decision making.

The defense which only gave up 7 all day didn't get 1 single stop the rest of the way and the onside kick was pure chance.

Seattle pulled a rabbit out of their hat more than McCarthy making any poor decisions.

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I agree but they could end up with Peterson or Lynch...... We will see.