Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Interesting...really don't know much about Bowles other than he fielded, what appeared to be an O.K. defense. At least his team made the playoffs. I'd have preferred Quinn but I'll give the man my support.:)

Chan Gailey on the other hand...Ummm...yeah, I just fuckin' puked in my mouth. Bowles may be a good HC in time but Gailey will spend a good portion of that time undoing the good work Bowles is trying to get done. Are you holy hell kidding me? There's a reason Chan Gailey's offenses were good 10 - 20 years ago is because they are outdated as fuck. Nothing new and innovative in the entire offensive playbook. In fact "offensive" is a good word for it. If he was any kind of decent OC he would have still been in football and not riding the couch for two years. When he was last in it looked bad...the best was a 14th ranked showing. Jesus, the Jets have blown asshole on offense forever and Bowles first order of business is to bring in Chan Fuckin' Gailey. Ok, he's not starting off on the right foot here. Hell, I'd rather he bring Goodwin along with him and make him Asst. H/C as a promotion than a bullshit retread like Chan Gailey. Talk about a Yin/Yang day. Blech! :oops:

2012 - Buf - 21st
    2011 - Buf - 14th
    2010 - Buf - 28th
    2008 - KC - 26th

2. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

The only way woody could have saved face was by keeping the defensive staff intact and hiring an offensive minded coach

Losing dennis Thurman is huge

3. mezzavo

Gailey runs an offense circa 1995. Hasn't cracked the top 10 in well over a decade and was sitting on a couch the last 2 years. Not good.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Such great news! I waited 2+ weeks for news, then the few hours I am busy all this stuff happens!!! J-E-T-S baby! Bowles will bring a winner and credibility back to this franchise. So excited for the future! Gailey as OC will also be good. No one should complain. This is Bowles' first HC job and he wanted Gailey for a reason. Trust the man. Now let's sign and draft some winners. It is fun to be a Jets fan again. Love it!

5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Considering your argument against pretty much every HC candidate qualifies as ad hominem, I'm not sure why you are complaining. Your avatar speaks for itself.

6. Charlie Kelly

From what I understand based on your posts here and also other people commenting about you, you have played in the NFL.

Can you explain the similarities of Gailey's offenses to 1990's offenses? I'm not very high on him and would like to know what to look for.

7. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Wanted Quinn, for the record. I'll bring this post back up in three years and see. Good luck to Bowles, I think the potential is there, but as many stated Gailey is a concern.

8. rohirrim665

Exactly how I feel.

9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Love the move.

Now just waiting for the app alert from the NYJ:

"Terry Bradway has been been relieved of his duties and is no longer part of the New York Jets."

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

How do you know Dan Quinn will be any better than Gus Bradley?

Chan Gailey runs a no huddle spread attack. NE and Philly implement similar concepts and have been very successful doing so.

He made a starting QB out of Ryan Fitzpatrick and got a career year out of CJ Spiller.

Todd Bowles' resume speaks for itself. He's proven he can maximize talent and do more with less.

All we know about Quinn is that he's good at running Pete Carroll's scheme with all-world players.

Kyle Shanahan hasn't really accomplished anything of significance when you look at the facts.

I think Shanahan is solid, but other than RG3 his rookie year, what are you really impressed by?

#270 al_toon_88, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Listen, all I know is that it's being reported that this is a "Fantastic" move for the Jets and we got the best guy on the market.

It's just nice to see the Jets doing something that doesn't leave everyone saying "WTF are they thinking"

12. rohirrim665

I don't totally disagree with you. I am hoping you are right because he is our coach. Simply based off of interviews I watched on youtube I thought Quinn seemed more like HC material, but what the hell do I know and I'm board for the new coach, I hope he is the guy.

13. mezzavo

Gailey's offense is predicated on a spread passing game with vertical tendencies. However, it also has a bunch of West Coast tendencies such as every screen imaginable. Put it this way...Chan Gailey probably graduated from a mixture of Al Davis' and Bill Walsh school of offensive thinking. An absolute ass load of short stuff with YAC intended. Here's the rub. The whole thing works ONLY IF you have a read and react QB. It requires an incredible amount of "understanding" of defenses. It's one of the reasons that Ryan (Ivy League Graduate) Fitzpatrick was so good in it. It requires a TON of intelligence. It absolutely does not fit the personnel the Jets have and 100% excludes Geno from EVER being proficient in it.

OverloadBlitz and Red Menace like this.
  14. Charlie Kelly

Hey man don't count Mr GoldenShowers out, he considers himself to be above everyone and has been saying wtf since word go!

Granted, he has only supplied an argument based upon box stats and acts like Todd Bowles mandingoed his mother, but you have to give the benefit of the doubt.

15. Charlie Kelly

You just described the New England Patriots.

mezzavo likes this.
  16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Good move. I would have been fine with either Quinn or Bowles, both good coaching candidates and both are from Jersey.

Chan Gailey is a great OC, he hasn't done anything since Buffalo fired him but that isn't always a bad thing. There is a reason Bowles wanted him. Maybe we sign CJ Spiller and dumb Johnson.

17. mezzavo

On the heels of my previous statement, let's hope Gailey tailors his offense to what we have because if he comes in with his pure offense from decades gone by then we are screwed. The reason no one really runs what Gailey runs anymore is because defenses caught up to the tendencies and, thanks to the leagues ever increasing addition of speed...the offense kind of went out of date and it really appeared that Gailey never "altered" his scheme. But that last bit is just my opinion.

18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I love the Bowles hire...

Not thrilled about Gailey (preferred Kyle Shanahan), but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    At the end of the day, it's the players who have to execute.

19. mezzavo

I did...and what is the ONE thing that is missing on almost every other team that the NE Patriots have?? Initials are T. & B.

Edit... N.E. will discontinue that offense once Brady retires. Tom Terrific is a once in a generational player. Take a look at what Indy runs right now...that is more what we will be seeing in the future.

20. Charlie Kelly

Oh my dear I guess we should run far far away from a really successful system because we do not have Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck, there is no earthly way any human being can ever run a system like those two guys, they are like the George Washington and Benjamin Franklin of the football world, never put a key on a kite string, children, you may discover electricity, only certain people can discover electricity!

mezzavo likes this.