Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

It isn't defensible when a Dan Quinn led defense stifled one of the statistically best offenses in NFL history in the SB? Or the fact that, in all likelihood, a Dan Quinn led defense is about to go to a second straight SB? If that doesn't set someone apart as a HC candidate for you, then I'm embarrassed that I'm even replying.

It's also laughable that you'd even bring up BB. That'll be relevant when Tom Brady is our QB

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Doug Marrone won't end up with a HC job this year I bet

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Because he has a two year record of success, no previous head coaching experience, zero championships, zero Super Bowls, it appears he's coached in the playoffs twice in his entire career, and has lasted three years everywhere he went.

EDIT: Fine, fixed - three years, not two years

GoldenShowers likes this.
  4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Take this from a Bills fan.... dont be totally discouraged by Chan. He is a very good offensive coach. You can look at Buffalo's total offensive stats and see mediocrity, which is what it was, but understand also what he had to work with and what he made them into.

His QB was a 7th round pick.
    His RB was undrafted.
    His #1 WR was a 7th round pick.
    His TE was picked up on the scrap heap (waivers) as was half of his offensive line.

He made them all pretty good players. He maxed Fitzpatrick's talent, made Stevie Johnson what he was (and hasn't been even relevant since Gailey left), got Spiller to average 6.0 yards per carry in 2012 (and he hasn't been relevant since) and got the scrap heap o-line to be very good (which badly regressed under Marrone with the same exact players).

He was responsible for that one year Tyler Thigpen came out of nowhere at QB for Kansas City, and also for Kordell Stewart's really good years as slash in Pittsburgh. When Gailey left, Stewart was trash.

He may be old, and he may not have been in football for 2 years, but if he hasn't lost a step it shouldn't be too bad. Going back to a defensive HC on the other hand makes no sense to me.

MoWilkNYJ, LAJet and Axel3419 like this.
  5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

dudes been around a while huh?

supposedly hes a good offensive mind but a horrible head coach… need to study his scheme more, but it could be very pro-geno being more spread based...

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Fatcesas been hyping this guy, the other guys francesa has hyped: Jim Harbaugh and Bill Obrien

So based on this track record the Jets got a good guy

I am SO GLAD its not Dan Quinn.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Quinn/Shanahan Would be ten times better than Bowles/Gailey

In a game of chicken basically the Jets panicked
    instead of having the patience and fortitude to let the playoffs plAy out
    They jumped the gun

I think they made a huge mistake with both hires
    Reeks of Casserly
    God i hope i am wrong

rohirrim665 and GoldenShowers like this.
  8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

What's wrong, I can't view vid

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Stop providing facts.... they only kill his argument

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope we have stability with Bowles.

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

For the record, I love this move. Todd "Super" Bowles may just become the most popular man in NYC. I just hope we can find (or develop) our Qb, and soon.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the hire. He seems like the fit we need and is a better choice than waiting on Quinn.

13. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

The same jackasses whining that we didnt wait on Quinn would be the first to be crying when he went to Denver after the super bowl and we got shit

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Bowles is known for his aggressive approach.

"Oh yeah, Coach Bowles is a very aggressive guy," Johnson said. "He loves the fact that he has guys on the back end that he can trust in certain situations. I think every game we were in this year that was close and we were on the field to win the game, it was a zero blitz. It got to the point that we’d be laughing on the field, because the middle linebacker would be waiting on the call and we’d be like, 'What you waiting on the call for? We know what it’s going to be. Just go ahead and make it. Just go ahead and get lined up.'

"He’s very aggressive, but at the same time, he knows how to mix it up because teams have learned that he’s a very aggressive guy. He’s just very smart about how he brings his pressures."

Johnson called Bowles a "players' coach" and put a little context behind the label. He recalled getting burned by Eagles receiver Jordan Matthews on a third-and-12 play for 23 yards back in Week 8.

"We were in zero coverage and I let Matthews beat me across my face," Johnson explained. "I came to the sideline and the DBs coach was out of his mind going crazy. Then Coach Bowles comes up to me and says, 'Hey man, I saw him give you the stick for the outside move. If he beat you on the out, that’s my fault. I put you in a position to play it from inside-out. Just don’t bite on the outside move.' And I was like, 'OK, Coach, I got you.'

"He tells me he made the call and put me in that position. You’ve got to respect that."

That’s not to say Bowles goes around absorbing blame for every misstep.

"It’s not like he’s going to let you slide," Johnson said. "He’s definitely going to let you know when you’ve done something wrong. I think the one thing we respect most is that he treats everyone the same. Whether you’re an All-Pro or a rookie, when we came in and watched film, he didn’t hold back in saying something to the All-Pro.

"He’s straight-forward and honest. And he's been able to take the personnel that he has and know how to put them in positions to exercise their strengths. If you can’t do something, he’s not going to call on you to do it. He’s really good at putting schemes together to make his guys successful. He's definitely a great coach."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...ive-on-falcons-coaching-candidate-todd-bowles

[​IMG]

Remember Rex with his:
    -On-going predictable 3rd down blitzing
    -Lack of accountability
    -Putting guys like Kyle Wilson in positions he should not be in...i.e on the football field
    -Lack of balancing intensity with teaching...Rex was the ultimate players coach, who I wish taught his players what NOT TO DO the next week.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

Rex also had Darrin Walls and name your scrub starting at corner this year,Bowles had Cro ,Peterson and better secondary overall.

legler82 and GoldenShowers like this.
  17. MontrealAlouettes

I'm neutral to this. Bowles constructed a good defense in Arizona, with less help than Quinn had in Seattle. I'd rather have Quinn or an offensive mind but who knows, it's not hard to have better judgment than Rex when it comes to offense.

Gailey would hardly be my first choice, and it's not a good thing when an older coach is away from the game for 2 years...but Gailey does have a good track record at running offenses, even on the Bills. But yeah, the question is how up to date he is. That's an issue.

Still, a lot better news than Marrone.

18. LongIslandBlitz

I just hope we have a plan to counter the Bills defense because they are gonna be no laughing matter next year he has all the parts he needs over there in that defense.I just pray we find another option at QB or Geno will have another 3 int type of game or worse again

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well the one problem we have that Bowles didnt is we have no one back there in the secondary we can trust lol

GoldenShowers likes this.
  20. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

When Rex had Revis and Cromartie in the secondary in 2011, the defense ranked 20th.