Retread Head Coach Please, Not Another Coordinator Fail

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 5, 2015.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is a horrendous article. Shocker, it's from Bleacher Report. They are reaching very very badly here or they are just not good enough at their jobs to bother doing a little research.

Who in the hell WASNT a coordinator before they were a coach? Such lazy writing.

Pocket Jet and Pavelboca like this.
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

so we are in good shape w/ Geno no matter who we hire!:D:(

Pocket Jet and mezzavo like this.
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It is obvious from recent history that in fact there are successful OC's and DC's who have been promoted to HC, but I think there may be an additional reason to hire a retread for the Jets.

Hiring a retread who has had at least SOME success before is an experiment in seeing whether a different setting, and a new and fresh start, can make a difference for someone who after did have some success.

But promoting a coordinator is a more open ended experiment, to be sure. There's more at risk.

Another factor is I am opposed to hiring a DC, since I want an HC who will know enough to move beyond Smith, and I don't trust someone who does not know offense to make that decision.

Related to the foregoing is that overall I think the Jets need a more offensive minded coach for general development of the offense.

So, if one in effect is choosing between a retread HC and an OC, the potential candidates tilt more toward the HC's.

mezzavo likes this.
  5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

There is one small fly in your ointment with that bolded statement...we have to HAVE a QB to move to. :(

My overall issue with any new coach at this point is the end all be all (see previous statement) is you 100% have to have a good to decent to great QB or no matter who you stick on the sidelines...they ARE going to struggle. That is simply fact.

6. Petey

Petey Active Member

Herm Edwards is a SUPER retread you guys!

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets need to hire a good organizer as HC. Not a control freak but a guy who understands how to set things up and run them by the numbers. The chaos on the sidelines the last few years has been embarrassing to watch as have the increasing number of penalties. A good organizer wouldn't let those things happen.

So if you're hiring somebody who has been a HC before you really want to delve into how he was perceived in his previous job(s). Was the team well run? Did the coaching remain consistent through thick and thin? Was there noise coming out of the locker room that the media latched onto? How did the guy handle his exit from his previous position?

The Jets aren't a stable environment at the moment. You need somebody who can come in and calm the waters and get things moving forward again. It would be helpful if the guy had a smooth demeanor when dealing with the media but that's not absolutely necessary.

hornblower likes this.
  8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Wait a second, Rex is now a retread, so he's got to be in the running according to Bleacher Report, right?

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well if the Jets can pair a HC and a GM who can work together it's smart. So if that's the way the interviews are going ok. Esp. if Marrone is the HC. Get him a GM (unlike in Buff) whose on the same page as him in terms of personnel and team building. Love to see an emphasis with the Jets on the O-line. Teams like Dallas and the 49ers who've done that recently have been successful. And us ten years ago,.

10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

There are many good football coaches out there. Once again an NFL head coach's job is to coach the coaches, motivate the players and deal with the media. Additionally, he must know the QB position and work him if the player is young. There is no savior out there just coaches.

Section 336 and Br4d like this.
  11. Big Blocker

Oh, I totally agree. The Jets must get a vet Qb in either FA or by a trade this off season, or you can make other plans next fall as an alternative to your football watching. At the least.

mezzavo likes this.
  12. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'll tell you...based on this current crop of FA QB's and what's potentially available in the draft (at least available to the Jets) you might be right about finding alternative watching next fall. Even my wife's 49'ers are going to suck! (I really can't understand how winning isn't enough in the NFL...they are sooooo spoiled...how do you let Jim Harbaugh walk?) The future most certainly doesn't look bright for the Jets. Not anything in the near term anyway.

Everybody wants to spend a bunch of time blaming Rex and throwing Rex under the bus, hating on Marrone and on and on...(myself included) but we are all about to find out real fast that our record was what our talent was and not the coaching. We maybe a billion dollars under the cap but exactly "who" will we spend it on. Not much from a QB perspective so here we will sit next year whining and griping about the same ole' things. I mean, unless Geno Smith actually takes a gargantuan leap and looks more like game 16 Geno as opposed to games 2-15 Geno...we are looking at the ass end of 6-10 or worse next year too.

Yup, I may just have to resign my self to....yuck...basketball. (sorry, just about yaked in my mouth there....no knock on you basketball aficionados but I'm not into it)

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMHO There is no strong correlation between the venue of a potential HC background and his future success. Very little if any at all. You can have a great coach come out of the college ranks, coordinator ranks, or a previous HC with a less than stellar resume record wise. At times circumstances and luck tend to derail some great talent and have a huge effect on near term succes.

Success at this level is a combination of many many factors,; NFL experience being one of them, but so is creativity and natural football ability, the talent to get the most out of players, and the insight to evolve the game and change it in a number of levels, particularly recognizing that what was successful yesterday is a looser today. But above all, the most important factor is what some call luck, and I call natural gut feel, the kind that consistently help you develop talent, especially the type of QB talent that make any decent team a champion.

So I frankly don't give a shit if he is an up and coming coordinator, or a proven college coach or a so call retread, as long as he has the ability to think across all aspects of the game and the moxie to be a creator not afraid to take chances, willing to re invent himself against a different opponent, and not some stubborn, unimaginative hard ass living in the past and compelled to relive it every Sunday.

14. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Just for thought - to dispel the notion that you have to be a retread:

Vince Lombardi was an OC before going to Green Bay
    Tom Landry was a DC before going to Dallas
    Chuck Noll was a DC before going to Pittsburgh
    Weeb Ewbank was a line coach before going to Baltimore (first HC job)
    Don Shula was a defensive backfield coach before going to Baltimore (first HC job)

That was just a few that came to mind....didn't really feel like going on forever.
    If the man is ready for the job at hand, they are going to become great ones. There is a slight element of roll the dice in every HC hire. BUT Just Imagine if they were passed over for retreads?

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Wha waaa boo boo bee booo

16. Big Blocker

At this juncture a winning season does seem unlikely next year. But with a decent Qb on board, some medium to longer term favorable scenarios are at least possible.

First of all you need to be competitive to achieve medium term success even if short term success is not realistic. A decent vet Qb, a real hold the fort guy, allows the team to at least be in play for FA signings and to help develop younger talent, including rookies, in an environment not dominated by too much losing. It avoids or at least lessens a toxic environment around the team. Simply put losing begets losing. This is a simple point I think is true of life in general that too many forget.

Then in hold hte fort mode, the Jets can also look for and begin developing a top prospect at QB in the draft. That in short is the best scenario for longer term success.

Meanwhile even if that top Qb prospect is not available right away, the team can help that vet Qb and the longer term situation for the team by shoring up OL, wideout and Cornerback, all advised areas of focus for longer term success.

It's not hopeless.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Give me Gary Kubiak and i'd be happy

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

every retread coach is someones coordinator fail

19. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

We could do a hell of a lot worse than Kubiak thats for sure. Not many candidates out there that make you say wow

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Gary Kubiak will be wonderful for underachieving with our talent level for the next few years.