GM Candidates (Candidates Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 30, 2014.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

At least we're not the Bills...

phubbadaman likes this.
  2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

How dare you

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look Cutler is off the table. He's too arrogant to take a pay cut. And was unsuccessful with great skill players and a good O coach who was known as an offensive genius until he had to deal with Cutler. No wonder Trestman had a bunch of bad hair days with the Bears. Ripping hair out of his head trying to work with Cutler and Marshall.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard many people talking about Maccagnan but I think he would be a decent choice. Him and Quinn would be a good combo in my mind.

almbleamal likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I just want to ask, on what team does the GM have total control? It seems pretty naive to think that the coach and to a much lesser extent the owner won't have a say in things. It also seems kinda dumb that a guy up in an office should have total control of the team when he isn't working with the players daily. I think the coach should be able to tell his GM; okay these are the types of personnel I need to be successful and the GM goes about getting that in his own way. It seemed like our failure from this season was that Idzik had way too much power and didn't put the talent on the field for Rex to be more successful.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I think if it's more like a military situation. In the Army you have Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs), and Enlisted. The analogy would be that the General Manager is the Officer, the leader. The NCO is the head coach, the enlisteds are the players. So, yeah, the NCOs work with the enlisted. But the Officers are the leaders and have the grand vision for the team. Of course, they accept input from the NCOs, but the overall planning and leadership comes from them. So, on a football team, the leadership, the vision should come from the General Manager. The Head Coach should have input, but should not be the final decision maker. And, oftentimes, a head coach will have more influence than the should, just like in the Army: a Sergeant First Class (E-7) probably should have a lot of influence on a 2nd or 1st Lieutenant because they have more experience. But NCO experience, like head coach experience, should not trump a General Manager's vision because the GM is NOT a 2LT; he's more like a field grade officer (Major or above) or at least he should be.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's going to happen. Book it. They interviewed Shanahan first and curiously today they are interviewing his boy. It's because that's the scenario the old man wanted. That has disaster written all over it.

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Kyle Shanahan is successful will he jump the Bills, too. All kidding aside it doesn't sound like a great combination. But if it happens I could see Hoyer going to the Bills instead of to us. He would be their 2015 version of Orton. (I'd take Orton)

9. BrowningNagle

I don't think Shanahan has any ties/loyalties to Hoyer and therefore have any interest in bringing him to Buffalo. Hoyer was entrenched in Cleveland before he got there and you get the sense judging by Shanahan's previous work with RG3 and the personality of Pettine that Shanahan was in the Manziel camp while Pettine was in the Hoyer camp. No slam dunk he goes to Buffalo.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Orton is awful. Buf wasted a season they could have developed Manuel for maybe an extra win or 2.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think it might work, Kyle believes in running the ball, and he also uses the zone blocking scheme his father used as a HC. They both like traditional pocket passing QBs.

Buffalo already has a good RB in place, if they could help Manuel, or maybe grab another qb they might be able to pull this off. Both are on the same page as GM and HC.

If that scenario plays out for buffalo, they could be very dangerous.

JMO

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

agreed.
    you give GM final say on everything, and then what coach can you attract here?
    there needs to be division of responsibilities, and i don't believe in the coaching staff reporting to the GM. They both should report to the owner, and be held accountable individually for their areas of responsibility.
    the scouting and personnel group should report to the GM.

13. BrowningNagle

In the short term maybe. But I wouldn't want old man Shanahan picking players. He sucks at that. And nepotism is never a good thing.

74 likes this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Shanahan must think this is 1998 and he's got a QB named Elway. His time has passed.

15. nyjunc

his time passed as soon as Elway retired and TD got hurt.

16. JetsNation06

He should go back to the Raiders where it all started. Although Al isn't there anymore and he just couldn't get enough of Davis.

17. nyjunc

he's been talking with them. I do think Oak is putting together a really nice group of young players, they could be really good w/in a couple of years.

18. JetsNation06

I saw that. They could be really good just as long as he's not coaching them.

19. BrowningNagle

Shanahan possibly back to the Raiders? It is freezing balls here in NY but I didn't know hell froze over

Murrell2878 likes this.
  20. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

per Lacanfora
    Jets reach out to Scot McGloughan for 'prominent personnel position'