For all the Rex haters, Now that he's gone...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

trust me - speak to anyone that is a fan of another team (especially one that is struggling) and they will all complain about how their team always seems to be the one that does something stupid at the worst possible moment to throw the game away. we all focus on the Jets and so it always seems that way to us.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don't care for him either. But he is fanatically organized, from what I have read. And I suspect i that he is a much better evaluator of prospects than Idzik. It would not surprise me if he winds up working here in some capacity. Maybe he will be named Woody's Official Thinker.

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If I had been head coach of the jets, I, unlike Rex Ryan, would NOT have been in favor of that ridiculous $20M guaranteed extension Sanchez got after his terrible 2011 season. Not talking about his rookie contract that you mention, I am referring to the $20M guaranteed deal that Tanny gave Sanchez in early 2012 in response to Manning choosing the Broncos. As I recall, Rex was fully in favor of this stupid extension that they gave to "butt fumble" and THAT alone should be grounds to shitcan Rex. You can't absolve Rex from the blame of that moronic contract extension the jets gave Sanchez--I read that Rex was totally in favor of it, and I believe that was when Rex made the statement that "As long as I am coach, Mark will be the starting QB for this team."

matt robinson 17 and TNJet like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My comparison wasn't that their flaws were the same, but that both are/were guys with potential with some flaws that took time to figure out...... Carrol was fired from TWO NFL teams before figuring shit out at USC.
    Maybe Rex does the same, maybe he doesnt.. we'll see

and as someone else said, did he really have a better choice than Sanchez? Ideally Favre sticks around and Sanchez gets to ride the pine for a season or two......

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

If Favre sticks around do they still trade up for Nacho? This is all Favre'S fault in the end

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Haha it started with him in 91 and the Falcons and it ended with that POS lol

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Probably not as they'd be focused on an immediate impact player, but it still wouldn't have been a bad move to plan for the future....

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

but you are the HC so that extension isn't your call - the GM has made that decision for you - the question was/is for those people flaming the choices made in terms of the starting QB - who would you have started instead? saying rex was a bad coach for playing Sanchez only works of there was an obviously better option available that was being ignored - my point is that there wasn't and that was the fault of the FO, not the coach.

plus - if you read the articles that were around at the time of the extension you will know that the extension wasn't much of anything - all it really did was free up some cap space and give the Jets more flexibility down the line.

#168 JetsUK, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I like rex, so I am biased... But if you look at the list it's totally unimpressive. For other teams looking at the same list with the addition of ryan, most all probably would prefer him over the others. Lol only the jets

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Lol...none of the insiders think Rex will sniff a job

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are you in with the insiders?

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Do you REALLY believe that the jets GM gave Sanchez that extension in 2012 with $20M guaranteed without ever consulting Rex a/k/a/ the man who tattooed Sanchez's number to his body? C'mon, UK , you're smarter than that.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I honestly can't belive we fired Rex to hire one of these guys....it looks worse and worse every day

chris5533 likes this.
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be sure, that was one of the real low points of Ryan's tenure here. You seem certain Ryan was all on board for that deal, and I have some questions if that is the case. But he certainly was not opposed to it, least in any effective way, which was always a problem with Ryan as well, meaning he had no cred or perceived authority to have any positive input on Qb decisions and development. In the end that general problem was the main reason he lost his job, and the specific case of the Sanchez contract extension was a particular manifestation of such problem.

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Actually it's Jen Sterger's fault!

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

They Are Underwhelming but all better than Rex

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This is kind of a tangent but after I read into it I really wasn't bothered by the Sanchez extension and it wasn't a stupid thing to do:

- in 2012 Sanchez made the same money he was going to make anyway.
    - 2013 became guaranteed but there was no way they were going to cut him in the final year of his original rookie deal - especially as there were no decent QB FAs due to be available. In return for the guarantee we got an extra $6.4 million of cap space which was handy given where we were.
    - the rest of the deal was non-guaranteed, meaning he could be cut whenever. If he had improved in 2012/2013 then we had him locked down going forward at a very good rate, if he didn't then he could be cut.

After the initial drama passed the general view was that this a rare bit of fairly smart business by the Jets.

Anyway, that is avoiding the question which was - given the QBs available to you as HC of the Jets who could you have started that was a significant upgrade over Sanchez or even Smith? The answer is no-one and that is the #1 reason we haven't gone anywhere in the past 6 years IMO, not clock management, not burnt timeouts, not obsessions with the defense etc, etc, but the lack of a really good QB.

Only on this board would the HC be held more responsible for the quality of talent on the roster than the FO.

That said I am beyond bored with this topic - roll on the new regime and the draft.

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I just hope our next coach knows how to count how many players he is sending on the field. I never see the 12 men on the field penalty unless im watching a jets game

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This is ALL Rex ever needed, that's why he'll go to ATL and kick some ass.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

John Hardbaugh had that same penalty in the playoff game over the weekend,Fire that man!!! Fire him now!

NY Jets68 and Ralebird like this.