Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

head coach experience at college and nfl levels. history of pointing teams in the right direction. endorsements from high level,h.o.f. and future h.o.f. players.
    i am not saying he is going to be great or even good. but i don't see how his resume is bad, and he would be less a leap of faith than one of the coordinators being considered.
    i.m.o.

legler82 likes this.
  2. MiaJets305

MiaJets305 Active Member

But we know that Rex and offense didnt mix but not all DC are that limited, cant COMPARE every DC to Rex and what he did/didnt do here

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

His resume isn't good at all?

25-25 Syracuse - Bails

15-17 Bills - Bails

At what point is that good by any definition?

There are a lot of people with experience, just because you have experience doesn't make you a good option if you haven't accomplished jack shit in your career.

Pointing a team in the right direction isn't success, it's just a direction unless you stay around to see where that direction goes that you took that team. He's never done that.

He isn't a playcaller, his offenses have been absolutely atrocious at the NFL level, he hires a terrible OC in Hackett everywhere he goes.

I don't want to hear about the no QB excuses, yada, yada.. It doesn't matter to me, I want results, I want proven commodities, regardless of what your situation was. Making excuses for the guy just to fit an argument around it doesn't sell it for me, just like people don't want to accept that Rex was dealt a shitty hand with these rosters for the past several years, it didn't matter in the long run and he was fired. Marrone should not be exempt from that either, QB or not.

Jets69 likes this.
  4. FJF

who is your proven commodity ?

5. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

Don't want Marrone. I want a HC and GM combo that complement each other. I want a true in the dirt scout future guru along with the best &ucking x's and o's offensive coach we can get. Don't give me half the chicken bitch, give me the whole damn bird.

6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

@AdamSchefter: Despite requests for HC interviews from Bears and Jets, Ravens OC Gary Kubiak unwilling to interview until after Baltimore's season ends.

7. FJF

i am pretty sure we all would like that. who do you have in mind?

8. IIMeanDeanII

That is a preference and the list is a little underwhelming. Admittedly.

With that said.. There is A LOT more to like about almost every other candidate out there that we are looking at. I am not a huge fan of Kubiak either but he would be a sigh of relief over Marrone for me. At least Kubiak knows offense, has proven to have successful offenses in the NFL, and has some playoff experience. If we were to go retread, he would be the best option at this point.

I personally want to go with a coordinator. I know many are sour on that idea, it's not fair to do though, just because of Rex. Every amazing coach that has ever coached started as a coordinator in some capacity. That is where you find your HOF coaches, they have to go through the ranks just like everyone else. There is nothing wrong with going with a coordinator that has a lot of upside and I think we are looking at several that fit that mold.

Quinn
    Bowles
    Reich

Those are my favorites out of them all.

9. FJF

none of those guys are your proven commodities. hot commodities, but not proven. reich intrigues me. quinn i think is too hyped and too inexperienced right now, 2 years as a d.c. on a stacked team. bowles wouldn't be horrible. but we still have nothing to go on to think they could lead a team.
    marrone, for all his perceived flaws just took the perennial cellar dwellers to a winning record and if he stayed the talk would be about the up and coming bills. in a year with so many average at best prospects, i don't understand how he is being so easily dismissed , or the absolute venom being spewed against him

NotSatoshiNakamoto and Axel3419 like this.
  10. FJF

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to wait an extra week if it means the Ravens beating the Patriots. Either way, I would love for us to lock an interview down as soon as the Ravens lose (or win the Super Bowl).

Red Menace likes this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

no matter so it ends up being there will be plenty of people writing them off before the first game. people are pissed rex got fired.

13. JetTerp

JetTerp Member

Gm starts with Mueller and Kuharich and coach....... I'm not sure honestly

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Amen. Kubiak would be a solid selection. He did have some success with the Texans, but that talent level was always pretty high. If, for some reason, Cincy decides that Lewis should be canned for his inability to win playoff games, well, he'd be a solid choice, too.

15. IIMeanDeanII

That is what I meant by preference, I wish that there was some extremely valuable commodities on the coaching market right now, I agree, there isn't much on that front. That is why I am more intrigued and leaning towards going with a coordinator with established credentials.

As far as Marrone.

Who would be singing his praises? He went 9-7 by beating a Patriots team at the end of the year that sat their starters, and lost to the Raiders. That is not something that calls for heavy praise. The Bills have had a losing season for so long, it was bound to happen sooner than later, the Bills finally had a winning record because of their defense, not because of DM.

He is being easily dismissed because he literally hasn't accomplished anything that warrants him to be the guy that steps in after Rex being fired. It is a huge downgrade in comparison to Rex. DM hasn't been successful at either level. If you are holding on to the fact that Marrone pointed those teams in the right direction, that simply isn't a good enough reason to hire the guy, that is settling in my eyes. It's just not a great way to view a guy for HC position. You want a guy that has a good resume, a strong philosophy, and ultimately be a guy who has what it takes to take your team to the Super Bowl.

Nothing about the guy suggests he has what it takes to take a team to the Super Bowl.

TonyMaC likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

No way.. Lewis has been given chance after chance to right that ship, in all sorts of different ways, he can't win in the playoffs even though he has a good up and coming team. Pass all day long.

I would rather have him then Marrone though, I will say that.

17. FJF

actually, when you consider he just took a team with a good defense and bad offense to a 9-7 record he sounds like the perfect replacement for rex,no?

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

settling is an apropos term, and I agree I don't think he's got what it takes to lead a Super Bowl team.

he's probably not bad, but i feel like we can do better and be more ambitious. the coordinator candidates provide more vision, i agree.

19. IIMeanDeanII

Rex has done more with less. Far more.

No.. He sounds like a terrible replacement.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The Falcons gave up two first round picks, a second round pick, and two fourth round pick to choose a WR. The Jets gave up a first, a second, and three "no-name" players (Abram Elam, Kenyon Coleman, and Brett Ratliff) to choose a QB. Seems to me that Atlanta traded a heck of a lot more away than the Jets did. If the Jets had done a similar deal for WR I bet most on here would be killing them for mortgaging the future.

#540 johnny, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015