For all the Rex haters, Now that he's gone...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I wish Rex was still here.

Why couldn't woody just hire Wolf as consultant, or better yet offer him the GM job?

Why involve casserly? It's clear he's the one driving the bus right now and it is headed off a cliff.

Houston Texans accomplished nothing under his long tenure there.

2. bandwagon

bandwagon Active Member

Can't say I wish Rex was still here, but agreed re Casserly. Never liked him. But who knows? Maybe he knows something everyone else doesn't. At least that's how he comes across on TV.

jdon likes this.
  3. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Whoever becomes the new head coach will obviously be better than Rex on the OFFENSIVE side of the ball...to be honest. I just don't want to see the WILDCAT ever again!!!

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I can only assume that you don't watch much NFL outside of the Jets.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

May I suggest eye glasses?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If the guy had won 2 SBs (like Coughlin did) you'd have a case even with the past 4 seasons. But he didn't win the AFC. The Rex and Mark worshipers sure set a low bar. That's ok, Rex could do that for himself. So what's his answer when Arthur Blank asks him: why was your record 4-12? In a nice, polite way he'll blame everyone but himself.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No.. My eyes are fine.

I would suggest you read some football books though, do some research, get your head out of your ass, then try to find a way to take that biased blindfold off.

It might just enhance your perception on life.

mezzavo likes this.
  8. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

PLUS --- 12 men on the field,, 12 men on the field again, Time out --- Wait we have no time outs.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't think a leopard changes spots. If Rex does hoodwink an owner into giving him a job he's going to do the same thing. Eventually. Coach the defense (only). During his time with the Jets at least 2 times he apologized for not paying attention to the offense and said he would be more involved. And then he went back very quickly to basically being the true DC of the team and calling D plays. And he wasn't even a good D-Coordinator.

#129 pclfan, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Holy shit dude you highjack every single thread with this nonsense. Give it a rest we're getting a new coach soon enough

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

So poor Head coach, not even a good D-Coordinator, does not pay any attention at all to the offense, yet he's going to hoodwink an owner into giving him a HC gig, do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's pretty ridiculous. But mostly true. His defense was way overrated. And look at all those 1st round picks. He's short one cover corner and his fans scream bloody murder. If he doesn't have all Pro Bowl players his defense is average. And his players undisciplined. Kind of like him.

13. OverloadBlitz

1 cover corner? We had to move Antonio Allen, a college fucking LBer to corner because of how banged up we were, we had the likes of Darrin Walls, Phillip Adams, Marcus Williams, and whoever other practice squad JAG we tried out at corner. No safety that can cover worth a shit, this was one of the worst pass defending secondaries I've ever seen.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Whose decision was it to convert Allen. It was a coaching decision. And those guys you list aren't bad players. Look at the corners starting games for other teams. Half of them are guys off of the street.

slimjasi likes this.
  15. OverloadBlitz

We had no choice but to try AA, Idzik hadn't brought anyone in at the time and we only had like 3 healthy corners, not just the corners the whole damn secondary down to every safety was not reliable against the pass, our corners got turned way too easily, safeties took terrible angles or got completely lost in coverage, we tried every coverage known to man to try to scheme this shit crew into being less shit. They dropped picks and busted coverages all year.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Dumb Wrecks descision, converting arguably our best safety

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

One corner isn't going to corrupt your defense. You make better adjustments and change your scheme if you are weak at a certain position. It happens all the time in the NFL because of injuries, etc. And very few teams had the talent the Jets had overall on defense. You can mask a weakness if you have a strength. Plus Williams and Walls aren't bad players. Not Pro Bowlers but NFL players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. OverloadBlitz

Yeah which adjustments? That Ridley TD in the first Pats game was against a Quarters D, the 3 and long TD against Edelman in the same game was 2 deep man coverage, conservative as hell and still a TD. I can go on and on with the different coverages we tried this year and failed. No need to even continue this useless argument continue to spew your narrative that Rex was terrible at everything.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who played corner,Without a sericvable QB who doesn't turn the ball over 23 times a season we will never be anything

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So, I had a good nights sleep (Holiday Inn Express) and I am going to, objectively, put some of this stuff to bed...Rex Ryan, Head Coaches...etc...et al.

I read some of these threads and I love the references to 12 men on the field and called time outs etc....and those being thrown about as a reason that Rex is a horrible "game manager" or Head Coach. It's kind of like facts and politics...everyone wants to believe all the hype and crap but ignore the actual facts of the matter and situation. Let me break this down:

Time Outs

Other than the times where Rex himself calls the time out(s) it's on the coordinators...let me explain. Also, in Rex's case that could be some of the defensive TO's as well. So I went back through and took a small sample size. I re-watched the coaches film on 4 games at various points in the season...took a quarter of the season. In those 4 games there are 24 time outs total...of the 24 timeouts, and taking into consideration challenge losses, there were 20 used and of those 20, 80% of them were on the offense. Shockingly enough of that 80%, 50% of those time outs were coming off an extended time out...whether that be injury or TV time out. Unacceptable...but not on Ryan.....in game those are on the coordinator. Now, he shares the culpability through the season simply because he IS the HC and it is HIS responsibility to make sure that his OC FIXES these issues. Of course...Geno Smith is the real culprit...he called 99% of those time outs and they are primarily because of his inability to read a defense and/or to get his team set properly...at least in those 4 games. But, it has very little to do with Rex's ability to manage his team, in game. That ridiculous misconception is debunked.

Oh, and one of those timeouts: http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/14/timeout-costs-jets-game-tying-touchdown

Yeah....

12 Men on the field

There were FOUR 12 Men on the Field penalties this entire 2014 SEASON. 3 on the defense and 1 on the offense...hardly a number that blows the lid off of the coaching discipline quotient. In Rex's entire time with the team the defense has had 18 and the offense has had 3...in six years. Not earth shattering numbers across a 96 game tenure. That was QUITE a disparity so I had to check to see if this was a uniquely NY Jet thing but a league wide thing... So, I used the AFC East as my barometer...every team the defense had more than the offense. So, it's pretty common that the defense has more of this type of penalty than the offense. As I thought about it a minute that makes sense...with hurry up offenses and special teams penalties counting as defensive penalties the swing was an obvious one.

The ONLY real beef anyone can have with a HC, in game, is clock management/situational football. And, I would agree with the Rex haters that Rex's clock management has been somewhat of an issue. Now, it hasn't cost us as many games as the haters would lead you to believe but there have been glaring times. On the other hand...Rex's situational football has been rather exemplary when compared to the rest of the coaches in the league. The ONLY reason it gets such scrutiny is because of the level of media attention and the fact that the team, as a whole, stinks so it is personified. But, in no way has it had that great of a "hand" in our losses. Normally, the decisions that are made are appropriate for the situation at hand... Ironically enough, contrary to popular belief, Rex is considerably more conservative than you might think or are lead to believe.

Bottom line...talent wins games. Scheme, strategy and health have a hand in winning games. But, if you do not have the horses to play you can scheme all day long and have the healthiest team in the league but you will not beat the team with superior talent. ESPECIALLY at the QB position. Now, if you have superior skill talent you can have an average QB and pull it off as well. But when you have neither one nor the other...you could have the best coaches in the world and it's not going to matter in the slightest over the long haul. There will be those games that you get "up" for and sheer will and determination can result in a win but that's not something that can be sustained over a 16 game season. Rex Ryan has his flaws...he has his positives. His flaws are no where near as BAD as some would have you believe and the same goes for his positives.

Was it his time to go...debatable. It depends upon your school of thought. If you feel that a change should only happen when a coach becomes ineffective to motivate his players and what he is teaching becomes useless or out of date then Rex Ryan should still be the HC of the NY Jets. It was blatantly clear that he had that locker room lock stock and barrel. His philosophies were and are still fresh and effective. Now, if you feel that your record is "who you are" as far as a head coach goes and that is the end all be all finale stamp then those folks are correct. Rex should have been fired.

My final word on this is I am on the side of the former as opposed to the later. Rex Ryan owned that locker room. His players geared up and played their asses off for him. His defenses were and still are effective. He can't control who and what is brought in as far as "groceries" and he surely can't control who gets hurt. All he can do is work with what he has. Now, does he have areas that he needs to improve upon? SURE! Sure he does! All coaches do...no one is perfect. However, do those areas, that are in need of improvement, going to vastly affect how many games whatever team he is coaching going to win each year...not really. Maybe a game or two swing. But again...that's my opinion. You know...there's a REASON he's a highly sought after HC candidate immediately after he is fired instead of going the way of a Jim Fassell.

JUST MY OPINION...we are about to find out that the grass isn't greener on the other side and 3 years from now we are going to be doing this all again. And, if Rex Ryan goes to Atlanta, specifically, he is in the Super Bowl within that time frame... So, enough about Ryan...blahh blaahh blahhh. It's done, water under the bridge, yada yada. If we want to make the next 3 years as painless as possible we, firstly, do NOT hire a HC before the GM. We DO hire a GM first and then let him do his damn job. Anything other than that and "Let the wheels on the bus go round and round...."