For all the Rex haters, Now that he's gone...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

There's as big a difference between Matt Schaub and Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith as there is between Matt Schaub and Joe Montana. And yes, with Matt Schaub in either 2009 or 2010, the Jets win a Super Bowl.

bandwagon likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not true.

Our defense could not stop Manning in 2009 or the Steelers rushing attack in 2010.

Johhny Unitas could not have changed the outcome of those two games.

jdon likes this.
  3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Oh another thing we need to definitely improve on is RZ offense. With 3 different OCs the only time we were good in the RZ was with the consultant in 2011.

For the gameplan Rex wanted, you have to be able to run the ball and score TDs in the RZ. So for whatever reason, RZ efficiency was a huge problem for 5 of the 6 years.

TD % in the RZ

2009: 17th at 50.94%
    2010: 28th at 44.26%
    2011: 2nd at 65.38%
    2012: 25th at 48.94%
    2013: 27th at 50.00%
    2014: 32nd at 36.17%

This is an example of something Rex never imrpoved on. With a better defense like in 2009 or 2010 this didn't stand out as a problem. (Well it did against pitt in the championship game but we blamed Schotty and Wayne hunter.)

Over the course of 6 years this is very ugly to look at. I like Rex and think he is a good coach but there is a laundry list of reasons not to trust him with building an offense. That's where the Jets are at this point. Rex just isn't right for that HC duty.

The next HC should be better at this. Defense will likely take a step back, that's expected. But the offense improving could easily offset that and then some.

So just saying while yes I think Rex is a good coach, he had some serious flaws that perfectly align where the Jets need help going forward and have needed help for a long time.

Br4d and Axel3419 like this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

There is this ongoing myth that Rex is an elite coach. Have you been watching the Jets the last 3 years, or does Rex just get a rubber stamp because he is a media star?

NCJetsfan, bandwagon and Section 336 like this.
  5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I agree. The Jets scored enough to win. Rex's defense self destructed in each of those games: Second half Indy and first half Pitt. One of the reasons I feel Rex is overrated. Drop a bunch of solid veterans on him and he can fool people for a year or two.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

You said it yourself. In a no cap year, we went all in to stack the team for Rex. He couldn't get it done. Even with a stacked roster, he went 11-5.

There's no amount of talent to get Rex over the top, he's not that good.

Now we will see who can make what we have, better. There are a lot of prospects available, any one of them is likely to be as good or better than Rex.

NCJetsfan and bandwagon like this.
  7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wrecks lament...won't miss wasted timeouts on special teams, defense, wasted challenges, 3rd and 7 run up the middle to setup a FG from 32 yards, antiquated ground and pound in a league where everybody else throws to win, undisciplined penalties and players, no QB development, never get off the field on 3rd and long on defense. No more bloated, ignorant press conferences

bandwagon likes this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you must never watch any other NFL games then because EVERY team commits penalties and about half the league commits more than the Jets do and they have just as many gut wrenching, head scratching, frustrating, stupid penalties as we do.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

This team was regularly not prepared. In some games the Jets looked like they were in pre-game warmups mid-way into the second quarter. Even in the supposedly closer games we were usually two scores behind. Plus the team showed no ability to come from behind and didn't.

bandwagon likes this.
  11. James Hasty

Sure, you just keep on telling yourself that.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

because the team largely sucks and we don't have a franchise QB perhaps?

Doesn't matter who the coach is that isn't going to change as we will all see next season - I don't think Rex was brilliant, I don't think he was terrible - he was good at some things and bad at others - but the haters on here who laid all the teams woes at his feet are in for some pretty big disappointments next season unless we somehow fluke into a credible option at QB.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we were middle of the pack in terms of the number of penalties - what do you think all those penalties were that the other teams were committing?

Seattle, New England, Denver, Detroit and San Francisco and 12 other teams all had more penalties than the Jets but sure, you keep on telling yourself that the team lacked discipline relative to everyone else.

14. James Hasty

Well we certainly wasted enough time outs in our effort to keep those penalties down now didn't we?

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

but that's not the point I was responding to - the complaint was that the team was wildly undisciplined under Ryan when that clearly was never true - we never had a major problem with penalties relative to the rest of the league and we never had any major off field problems either

if you want to complain about blown timeouts then go ahead

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look if we had a shot at Vince Lombardi these internet naysayers would be attacking him, too. Do you think
    Then what do you call blown coverages. Is that disciplined or lack of coaching. Again the "I've gotta be me" guy imparted the same principle to his players. Do your own thing. Sure you get your sacks and your stats. The exact opposite of Belichick.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If Rex is smart or listens to someone who is smart, he will get into the booth with Gruden and Tirico and become an instant hit. He is Madden minus the ring.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

We can get his grandson Joe Lombardi from Detroit.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you!

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

edit: this is pointless - people are going to see what they want to see and I really CBA trying to counter with actual facts because its pretty clear that its a waste of my time. celebrate the fact that RR has been sacked and I hope the new coach is less of a disappointment.

#120 JetsUK, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015