GM Candidates (Candidates Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 30, 2014.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wonder why Gamble is out in Philly?
    he's known as quite a personnel evaluator. loved the Jordan Matthews draft pick, and Sproles trade was shrewd move.

He joined there only 2 years ago, as VP of Player Personnel, after voluntarily leaving SF as the Director of Player Personnel.

it was also reported that he allegedly botched the Jets GM interview in 2013.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

DeSean Jackson > Riley Cooper. Mark Sanchez? Marcus Smith had a bad rookie year as the #1 pick. The rest of the draft wasn't good except for Matthews and Josh Huff who gave the Eagles a good return man.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly's always been a control freak when it comes to player personnel, I have to think it was a clash between minds. The big paid successful coach always will win that fight.

Br4d and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. Br4d

This is not a bad guess either.

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So far..

Trent Kirchner - Seahawks Pro Personnel Director

Mike Maccagan - Texans College Scouting Director

Rick Mueller - Pro Personnel Director

Bill Kuharich - Browns Chief Of Staff

So... Who out of these guys are the best right now? I'm not impressed with any of them to be honest, I'm trying to find backgrounds on these guys but not finding a whole lot.

6. BacktoQueens

i think Desean was an organizational decision. something was sour there, and they wanted him removed.
    their receiving options were still quite good with Maclin, Matthews, Cooper, Ertz, Sproles, McCoy, etc..

Sanchez was signed only to be a rental backup. not a good signing imo, but the HC was interested.
    agreed on Marcus Smith.

maybe it was as simple as these last 2 drafts, but i don't think they were that bad.
    I'm just thinking there may have been some other reason. How did a guy with that much personnel experience botch an interview with us when we were desperate for that type of experience? and how does he 'mutually part ways' so quickly in Philly?
    I'm still interested in him, but these are surely some yellow caution flags.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Him. He's got a pretty good track record in the draft and his been highly-regarded for over a decade. I posted an article on the first page about him and his approach to the draft. I think he would make a very solid GM. The problem is he's the reverse Idzik. Seems like he has no experience whatsoever with contracts.

Axel3419 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Br4d

We'll never know the answers to these questions. The fact that Woody and Neil Glat and the consultants gonged him is no doubt related to a combination of factors that we're just never going to figure out.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

that is a good guess.
    if it just comes down to HC making a power move, and Gamble not liking that, then i'd still be interested in him.

10. BacktoQueens

very true. would you consider him for GM?

Br4d likes this.
  11. Br4d

I don't know how to view him as a more attractive candidate after he was just let go by the Eagles than he was 2 years ago as the VP Player Personnel for a team that had just made the Super Bowl. I guess I could see Woody and his advisers giving him another interview but what has happened in the last two years that would make him a better candidate than he was then?

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

From reading some Philly papers, apparently a power struggle between Roseman the 'bean counter' and Gamble/Kelly the football people. I'll try to get the article

13. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

14. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Given Woody's track record the last few days, a positive Manish Mehta article about Gamble?

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even if he does eventually decline to interview, at least that's progress. Unless I'm mistaken, last year he immediately declined to be interviewed and said he had no interest in the Jets' job. At least this year he's thinking about it.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope the Jets will interview Tom Gamble. He was one of the guys I wanted to see get the Jets' GM job 2 years ago. Right now I want Woody to hire one of these four as the new GM: DeCosta, McCagnan, Wolf and Gamble.

#96 NCJetsfan, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Chip Kelly doesn't make the playoffs next season he will be at a crossroads with the Eagles. He has 2 more years to get it together. Andy Reid never won a SB but his team's were mostly in the playoffs and competitive. Until the end when the "dream team" fell apart.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets should be all over Gamble right now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed. Gamble should be on the Acela to NYC right now.. Better yet, Woody should be on his Gulfstream to Philly with checkbook in hand.

JetsNation06 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Paton the Vikings Asst GM declined an interview with the Jets.