Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuck. We are now competing with San Francisco.

@AlbertBreer
    Seahawks DC Dan Quinn interviewed with the Niners last night, will interview with the Jets and Bears on Friday, and Falcons on Saturday.

2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Kubiak is interesting

One could argue that he is the offensive version of Rex ( at least results & resume-wise), without the Rex personality.
    Is he a strong enough character and good enough coach to deal with a media corps (likely) hostile to his selection?
    (I don't know, but I think these questions have to be considered). He is certainly a top offensive coach and it won't be his first time to the rodeo(pun intended)

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm not just talking about this year and maybe those are the 3 games this year. That 3/16 = 19%. I don't think this was an historically bad year for him in this regard either. So let's say he doesn't have the team ready for 20% of the games. That's not ok.

That his guys play hard for him is BS--they play as hard as they want. Against KC this year was a great example--Jamal Charles was running like his life depended on it and the jets D were going through the motions.

He is not superior in any aspect of the game except for a once-in-a-while defensive gem as witnessed against NE recently.

These 80 yard, 97 yard plays against him seem to be regular too.

His overall decision making under stress is terrible and he did not show any indication of improving.

Every game we have to see him screaming "Bull-Shit" at the refs? This is just unproductive emotionalism and doesn't provide any confidence to a team.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I think if he didn't like Idzik you have to separate yourself from the Seattle connection. Esp for the GM job. You'd be hiring another protege from the same organization and GM. Someone with very similar contacts. As for Quinn a lot of respect from people in the NFL but no head coaching experience on any level. Give Rex credit he was able to win over the media, etc in a very tough market even with a losing record his last 4 years. This is a big part of this job and something Idzik was abysmal at.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

IMO Rex being fired isn't a Rex vs existing candidates thing but just that they want a fresh start. Ideally they have a GM first and he hires the coach, otherwise you're still saddling a GM with a head coach and not having him involved in the process, but I understand their fear that all the best coaching candidates could be snapped up so they don't want to sit around and twiddle their thumbs and maybe even lose out on a GM who doesn't want to come into a team with no HC and no prospects for a good HC.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Adam Caplan@caplannfl
    If Marrone opts out, he goes near the top of available HC coaches. And he has a staff ready to go, which is key.

Would you guys be interested? He's coming from a very similar situation which should make for an easy transition: dominant defensive line with some offensive talent but no QB to take advantage of it. I think he'd be great for maintaining the defense while trying to establish an offense as well. Plus, he's well acquainted with a division rival which is a bonus.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea I don't get the whole Seattle obsession.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I steer clear of Marrone big time. He's come off as clueless to me since day 1 with Buffalo. Never seemed to me like he had control of his team at any point in the past two years. Clashing with ownership doesn't look good on the resume either.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He took Manuel over Nassib which has ruined that team. And I'm not saying Nassib is any better but he coached him in Syracuse and rolled with Manuel who has been horrible....

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

How so?

The Bills are clearly the second best team in the division now, their defense is awesome, they have several functioning offensive parts, and are a QB whiff away from being a contender in the NFL.

I'd gladly sign up for Marrone over some of the people they are interviewing now.

Jake likes this.
  11. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Only way I'd want Marrone is if it came down to him or Tom Cable.

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

He certainly had the inside scoop, but was Manuel Marrone's choice or did the GM (Nix/Whaley) make that call? We'll never know. Either way, he wouldn't be my pick for HC. Or GM for that matter.

13. BroadwayAaron

I credit Jim Schwartz for a lot of what happened defensively in Buffalo.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224575-how-has-jim-schwartz-revamped-the-buffalo-bills-defense

Granted that's a dated article that is only using a small sample size, but it goes over more than just numbers.

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i like dan quinn...but i just dont want another defencive head coach again...i want a offense guy who can pick a qb and then teach him..i just dont think theres any out there

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The Marrone thing is a big surprise. But he's basically a college HC and as we all know those guys aren't known for loyalty. They'd jump a team for a better deal in a minute.

16. xxedge72x

I don't know what your personal opinions on Rex are, but on a more general note I've seen a lot of blame put at Rex's feet for the offense. I agree with the sentiment, but it also stands to reason that if a head coach is going to be blamed for a team's failures on one side of the ball, they should also be credited with their successes as well. Not saying this reflects your personal viewpoint, but that's the angle I'm viewing this from.

17. BroadwayAaron

I hear you. I think Marrone has done good things for their offense. But if we're going to go with a guy who does good things on one side of the ball, why did we just fire Rex?

18. xxedge72x

It seems to be a league wide problem, Rex was just a more colorful illustration of it. Really the solution is to get good personnel people in place. Better personnel people earlier in Rex's career would've possibly saved his tenure here.

legler82 likes this.
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I personally think the most overrrated D coach in the league is Rex Ryan.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rex blows alright. He's an effing blowhard. I don't want Cable at all. While I think there are better candidates than Kubiak, we could do a lot worse (like keeping Rex!). Kubiak got Schaub to play at the highest level of his career. I don't follow the Texans, so don't know what their problems were under Kubiak, but I seriously doubt that he was: as clueless about the other two phases of the game as Rex is, was as undisciplined as Rex is, was as lax as Rex in holding players accountable, was as bad in clock and game management, was as bad in having his team unprepared to play, or that the Texans had as a bad a record following Bye weeks, were blown out as often as the Jets under Rex, or were as sloppy, beating themselves with stupid penalties and mistakes as Rex's Jets have been. The real Rex is the last 4 seasons, not the first two. He coasted those first two and benefitted from the talent, leadership and coaching that his predecessors had put in place.

BigSnacks54 likes this.