NFL.com says Jets are worst coachin vacancy available

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Dec 29, 2014.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

/thread

And anyone that has ever been to Oakland knows it's awful, the old Madden Raiders mantra is VERY diminished.

#61 rockyusmc2003, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Oakland has old has beens and carr... Amazing place for rex. Another 3-13 team.

3. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Who really gives a shit about this? These are nothing but power ranking .

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

There is a good portion of our fan base that has no patience for anything. And there is a large majority of our media that loves to rile them up for their own selfish reasons.

Everything points to this being a great job (great city, solid building blocks on the roster, #6 overall draft pick, $40 million in cap) but for the above reasons it's not the ideal spot.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

hate to break it to you guys, but the raiders are a far more attractive job than the jets.

they have a promising young QB, a promising young RB, some decent WR talent, a top pick on the defensive side, and zero expectations yearly. this makes for a very good spot to land as a head coach.

here in NY we have NO QB to speak of, no talent at CB, an aging offensive line, and fans wanting to win yesterday, led by an owner with no clue what he is doing, and filling the shoes of a head coach who's locker room loved him. Granted we have cap room heading into next year, but really, this is the least attractive job for a head coach out there right now.

Gunther, Pocket Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

And a GM who could be gone in 2015 and Mark Davis may go for a hot GM name and that GM would want his own coach. Sounds like the 2013 Jets offseason basically except this new Raiders HC may not have Rex Ryan's accomplishments for the Jets.

Rob Chudzinski, Mike Murlarkey were recent examples of coaches brought in for 1 year and then got canned when new management/owners came in. No coach wants to deal with that.

8. TurkJetFan

let the GM be gone. the raiders are a perfect spot for a lot of these head coaching prospects who many have little to no experience.

if there were experienced options out there i may feel differently, but there arent. and really I do like Quinn but I'd love a guy to come in here with a resume as head coach. My fingers were tightly crossed for Harbaugh but obviously that won't happen.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Raiders still have ways to go though I agree they have some promise in guys like Mack, Carr etc. They still are ways to go though but they still have a lame duck GM in McKenzie who needs a .500 year or better to really keep the hot seat away. Same with Dimitroff in Atlanta. It is a roll of the dice with these 2 locations, York might be in love with Baalke due to the recent success to not turn the hot seat up on him.

Chicago and NY Jets will have a new GM and coach together(Well unless we stupidly hire a head coach without the GM consent) so there's at least a 3 year window potentially. More time to right the ship.

10. TurkJetFan

One would say at least 3 years...but we just hired a GM 2 years ago and he just got canned. On top of that the GM will not have a say in the HC per Woody's press conference. All that in mind, the GM will have no allegiance to the HC, and we just canned both at once despite that.

Chicago's another team in disarray....High expectations, frustrated fanbase, no talent on defense....

I'm tellin ya Oakland is the spot and I bet they strike first at HC. If I'm a coach I'm taking the promising young talent in Oakland, with their zero expectations and cap room and running with it.

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

49ers followed by Oakland would be the worst in my opinion, the owner in SF seems to expect a deep playoff run in the first year and Oakland is well Oakland, Carr seems promising but he looked pretty gun shy at times this year and that defense needs complete rebuilding. Best job is probably Atlanta with Chicago a close second with the nice pieces in place the Jets are right in the middle.

4jetfans likes this.
  12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The Jets have generally been stable during the Woody years. Or at least, there's no constant churning like there is with some teams. The deal with Idzik was that if you kept him, he'd need his own head coach and then you'd have to give that head coach 2 or 3 years, meaning you had to either cut Idzik after just 2 years, or make a long term commitment to him. And Woody was not willing to do that.

I think GM candidates will understand that that was an unusual situation, where they kept the HC but not the GM, and look at it more like "We gave Rex a second GM and it didn't work out" rather than "We only gave the GM 2 years."

As for hiring the new HC before the new GM, it's not a foregone conclusion that that will be the order. There may be one or two HCs that he'd be willing to just immediately sign, but if it's one of the less coveted HCs he will probably wait.

Woody didn't say that the new GM will have no say in the HC. He said, basically, that he would make the final decision on the HC, but that could just be a formality. He basically said that he understands it was a mistake to force a HC on a new GM, so I don't think he will go out of his way to repeat that mistake. I interpreted what he said as, if we can get Harbaugh or Cowher we will sign him immediately, and if we can't, I want to be in the loop on the HC decision and you have to sell me on why he's right for the job.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Not to mention the niners aging roster.

14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The Jets are really good at being bad, that's gotta count for something...

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Here is the thing about the Jets. I read somewhere that Woody is considering having the coach and the GM report to him---separately. We have just had Rex and the rival camps within the locker room. We have already had Woody and the GM hire where you have to keep the coach. Now we have further attempts at divisiveness. What Woody is considering will not work, even with an owner who actually knows something about football, and only a few do. If I am a coach or a GM coming in I have to wonder if I want to work for an owner whose brains are clearly scrambled. Woody seems incapable of cohesive thought.

16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Promising Derek Carr finished at -32 in PFF rankings, second worse QB in the league. For comparison, Geno finished at -20.

If Carr is promising, Geno is a perennial Pro bowler.

4jetfans likes this.
  17. 4jetfans

UMMM Hello there are only 32 Head Coaching Jobs in this league, And as I see it we have a top ten defense which is still
    very young. AND YES our offensive line may be getting old but that can be fixed with 40 MIL dollars. And a GM who knows
    how to draft the right way. So keep talking about Oakland I take the Jets in a New York Minute.

18. TurkJetFan

I never said nobody will take the job if offered it I'm saying if offered multiple choices we are the least appealing. We do not have a top 10 defense, just looking at it objectively and not as a jets fan. We have some good players at a few positions but also can't steal a turnover and have no secondary at the cb position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TurkJetFan

Carr passes the eyeball test just watch him. Geno does not. If you watch Carr play it's obvious the kids got something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 4jetfans

This is from 2014 season, How can you say we dont have a top ten defense. YES the 32nd in passing yards I have to agree with BUT
    we all knew Idzik BLEW that one big time. But this can all be fixed with the money we have in the FA.

2014 OVERALL NFL RANKINGS
    PASSING YDS
    184.132ndOverall
    RUSHING YDS
    142.53rdOverall
    OPP PASSING YDS
    234.114thOverall
    OPP RUSHING YDS
    93.15thOverall
    2014 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE