GM Candidates (Candidates Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 30, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Hopefully they ask with a mention of a huge salary for a GM.

Would you considering interviewing with the Jets to become the highest paid GM in all of pro sports?

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Highly doubt we get DeCosta. That guy could've had his pick at any GM opening the last 4 years. I remember seeing a statement awhile back that he'd rather stay and have a seamless transition than jump to a 3-13 team just cause it's open. (we're good though 4-12 haha)

If he gives Woody the time of day I sure hope he's willing to open his pocket book in a big way. Maybe that would convince him.

They actually had a better shot at him in January of 2013 than they do now. They had Scott Cohen as Asst. GM and he was really close friends with DeCosta who gave him his start in the league interning with the Redskins way back when. But Idzik let Cohen go and now there's no connection there.

3. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

DeCosta has been with the Ravens since just about the time they have been in Baltimore (18 years) and He KNOWS he is going to get that GM job.

Anybody who has ever moved -- knows it sucks.

I applaud the effort, I would be ecstatic if it happened, but I would bet my house that it won't.

devronnyj likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

I have a strong feeling we end up with the Texans guy considering Casserly is advising

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree here. I wouldn't be upset about that. I'd love DeCosta but that's a pipe dream. Due dillegence by Woody

6. BrowningNagle

maybe that's why they are interviewing Kubiak. The houston connection. That could very well be what we are looking at in a couple weeks. This Texans scout as the new GM doing the grocery shopping for Kubiak to coach them like they did in Houston

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And I would personally be fine with that... so long as we have a true defensive mind running the defense. Like I said earlier... keep Thurman and Dunbar, hire Kubiak and let him bring in his guys. That's not a bad position to be in especially with a GM that has been plucking players out of the draft for over a decade.

8. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Um, did Thurman actually run the jets defense? And, really, I'm not sold on the scheme anyway. the rest of your post, I'm on board with.

9. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Read they are making a strong push for DeCosta. Also agree it's probably a pipe dream but that coupled with the fact that the Quinn interview seems it was set up first make me optimistic about how this whole process will play out. Really seems like woody wants to just get top of line candidates for both spots and is going to try to move swiftly... I like it

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I know a lot of people are shot on Kubiak but I'd be for giving him a second chance here. I think we could do a lot worse than that combo. We'd finally have a competent offense anyway. just hire a good DC. maybe Dunbar is up to the task.

MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

Thurman is Rex's butt buddy.. he's gone as gone can be... If Kubiak is the choice he's been a coach in this league for a long time, respected, with solid connections. Let him pick the damn DC like every HC should.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The only problem there is that he couldn't find a good one for how many years in Houston? I'm not saying force Thurman on him, I'm saying there's someone in place already that can coach these players, that the players are familiar with that can be a solid transitional element for a new coach and new GM... basically a whole new regime.

13. BrowningNagle

I like his offensive system. The zone running attack would remind us of the Curtis Martin-era Jets offenses. If Kubiak is here I'd like to see them hang onto Chris Johnson, because even though he struggled this year his skill set is tailor-made for Kubiak's system.

14. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I don't think moving swiftly will get the top of the line candidates. Top of the line candidates owe it to themselves to sit and wait to see what the best offer on the table is for them.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

exactly. i mentioned this in another thread as well.

mention of highest paid GM in NFL, along with the cap flexibility and high draft pick, might just get him thinking.
    this is where Woody should make the full cash press imo, not on any of the coaches.

16. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

I'm not saying giving up on a top candidate because they can't make a decision quick enough but rather jumping on the top guys immediately to try to lock them up. A few people have referenced last year where we really took our time and the result was getting idzik when a lot of the top candidates had already filled positions on other teams

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

DeCosta is the kind of proven commodity that this team needs at the top to build this thing.

Kubiak is not a good HC. He did so little with so much talent in Houston, always underachieved. That would be utterly depressing if the Jets hire Gary Kubiak as a HC. He's a career coordinator, nothing more.

The Jets need to be bold with this hire. Kubiak is a dud.

18. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No, I know. I'm saying we can interview guys immediately, but no top guy would or should accept the first offer they're given because if they really are a top guy, they owe it to themselves to see what else comes down the pike.

19. BrowningNagle

1999 "belichick is not a good HC. He always underachieved with so much talent in Cleveland. He's a career coordinator."

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Totally different situation. Cleveland was going through an identity crisis with the whole Modell situation. The Browns had little talent on that team also. Just a very tough situation for Belichick to walk into.

In Houston, Kubiak had All Pros in Johnson, Foster and Williams. His HC career reminds a little of Rex's. Both finished their tenures a few games under .500. Both had a few good seasons and some awful seasons too.

I think Kubiak is a solid HC, however I don't ever think he'd be a top HC (top 10). He's a guy who may get you into a wild card a few years and then fall flat on his face a few years. Just like Rex or a Marvin Lewis type.

I think the Jets need to swing for the fences. Go make a run at Sumlin or another big name who's turned a program around. I think Kubiak is just ok.