Head Coach Candidates (Coaches Jets have requested Permission to interview)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Whoever they hire, hopefully it will be someone that keeps their goddamn mouth shut and has his players keep their mouths shut and do their talking on the field. I want a coach whose voice I won't be able to recognize. I am so tired of stupid empty bravado and ridiculous statements. Just perform on the field. Keep your mouths SHUT.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

What do you mean!? Geno Smith is already a pro bowler according to himself.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They are not hiring him to be a better defensive mind, hopefully they are hiring him to be a better all around HC, with attention to detail on all aspects of the game.

4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

no reason to hire a defensive coach when u just fired the best defensive coach in football

id love to get a experienced offensive mind like norv turner and retain most of the defensive staff and have the best of both worlds

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain you can come to agreement to begin after the teams playoff run, hence the reason they are allowed to interview them right now (with team's permission).
    If you couldn't - 1) it would be useless to interview now
    2) say you wanted the guy you interviewed, if you couldn't get a commitment and waited -- you could lose out on a bunch of other candidates waiting and then get a no from the interviewee

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I just laugh at everyone who claims Rex is the "best" defensive mind in football.
    I am not saying he is not a good DC -- but there are a lot of defensive coaches in football (Head Coaches, Coordinators, position coaches) and it is not like Rex's Defense are miles ahead of everyone else -- like giving up 10 points a game when everyone else gives up 20.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They have interview windows for the playoff OC's and DC's. They're very tight because the guys have no time to be away from the game plan during the playoffs but they're there.

8. Br4d

The reason I'm not gung-ho on Reich is that he's already past the age that most head coaches are very effective in at 53. He's never head coached anywhere including the college ranks. He's only worked with great QB's except the period in Arizona where the QB was the problem the entire time he was there.

If you give him the job you're reaching and hoping and I don't know that the Jets have that luxury right now.

I'm not a Norv Turner guy at all but he'd be a much better hire than an unknown given the realities the Jets face.

9. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I'm DEFINITELY NOT a Norv Turner guy. I don't know what you're supposed to get from him: not really a motivator and his offensive schemes haven't been 'all that'. But he does have a track record of 'meh' accomplishment. Norv Turner was the coach I always hoped the Jets would be facing on their annual trek to their left coast wildcard game.

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I want no part of Seattle. No GM candidates, No HC candidates, and No Starbucks coffee . Remember Idzik?

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Remember their Superbowl win, Superbowl MVP quarterback drafted in the 4th round, their top ranked defense, their clear cap which allowed them to bring back all of their top talent (that they drafted) and their current number 1 seed?

Yea, I want NO part in that.

12. Br4d

I'm not a fan either but if you're going to go with an OC QB whisperer as the new HC at least go with one who develops young QB's, has worked as a head coach previously and gets more out of his offense than you'd generally expect instead of less.

13. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Are there any college head coaches who might be available?

14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Yep, I agree. I forgot to add that to my post: that I wouldn't slit my wrists if he were chosen.

The good thing, I think, about any offensive guru HC is that the defense has a lot of talent and can play even better than it ahs the last couple of years with the right guy and scheme.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No. Not that we want.

16. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

So we're basically stuck with the up-and-coming OC/DC or the former HC who wants a second shot?

Not the worst thing in the world but it does seem like our options are fairly limited.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

And Danny Woodhead!

18. Falco21

Options are always limited with head coaching gigs. It's always filled with college coaches that have no NFL experience, Defensive and Offensive Coordinators, or ex head coaches that didn't fair well their first go around.

I'm not worried about it at all though. The guys we are interviewing are guys I would love. I'm not buying into the "we need an offensive minded coach" mindset. That's bullshit. We need a head coach that can do it all. Guys like Todd Bowles and Dan Quinn could likely be excellent coaches.

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

You cannot be serious? Do you think they are all programmed to have the same brain cells as Idzik?

20. Falco21

This is bullshit. You're making a general claim about guys because of one example.

You think they are all like Idzik. How did they create what they did if all of them are like Idzik?