Jets to Fire Idzik and Rex - Jim Mora Jr. Top Candidate at HC (Was reported by CBS this morning)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 28, 2014.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

How could this report about Mora be even close to true if we don't have a gm yet

#61 LongIslandBlitz, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Link?

3. LongIslandBlitz

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

its not, the thread title is misleading
    the article states mora jr is a strong candidate not the top candidate

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Just finished placing the noose around my neck about to kick the chair from under my feet.

6. Faux machine

[​IMG]

legler82 likes this.
  7. Faux machine

8. legler82

Let's hope you are right. On a positive note Mora does have a serious man crush on Mariota.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-mora-predicts-nfl-success-for-marcus-mariota

Jim Mora predicts NFL success for Marcus Mariota
    • By Chase Goodbread
    • College Football 24/7 writer
    • Published: Dec. 15, 2014 at 01:30 p.m.
    As a former head coach in the NFL, and as a UCLA coach who has faced Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota in the Pac-12, Jim Mora has a broad perspective on the new Heisman Trophy winner's pro potential. And Mora had nothing but effusive praise for Mariota on the subject Monday on "The Rich Eisen Show."

» Tony Dungy likens Marcus Mariota to Aaron Rodgers
    "I think he's going to be phenomenal. He has everything you're looking for to be a great NFL quarterback. He's big, he's fast, he's physical. He's incredibly smart. He makes great decisions. He's an amazing competitor," Mora told Eisen. "He's one of my favorite players of all time, and I've competed against him only twice but I've watched him a lot, and he's about as classy as a person as you'll ever find. He's the kind of guy you want representing your franchise. He has everything you want to be great at the next level."

Mora has been the head coach at UCLA throughout Mariota's three-year starting career, but has only faced him twice because the Ducks and Bruins did not play in 2012. Over two starts against Mora's defense since 2013, Mariota has completed 38 of 55 passes for 440 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions, both Ducks wins.

Mora said Mariota not only has the arm to succeed in the NFL, but openly asked him to make the jump to the pros a year early.

"I've heard people sometimes question his arm strength maybe, (but) there's no doubt in my mind that he's got the arm to play at the next level. One of the things that I appreciate most is the type of sportsmanship he plays with," Mora added. "I mean, he doesn't talk any crap, he's all about the team. He's a winner. This guy is big time. ... He's going to be a great, great, great pro player. And, I want him out of the Pac-12. Go to the NFL, Marcus."

» 10 players with the most on the line in bowl season
    Earlier Monday, former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy compared Mariota to Green Bay Packers star Aaron Rodgers. Mora stopped short of predicting Rodgers-level NFL success for Mariota, but indicated Mariota's physical tools for the game might be even better.

"He's bigger than Aaron. And he's more physical and faster than Aaron. But in terms of the type of person he is and the type of intelligence he plays the game with, accuracy he throws with, I would absolutely agree with that," Mora said. "But Marcus is a bigger, faster, stronger Aaron. Who knows if he's going to have Aaron's success at the next level because that guy's something else. I'd say that's a very good comparison -- their demeanor is very much the same; they're always in control during the game."

Mariota has yet to announce whether he will turn pro after the Ducks' postseason run through college football's four-team playoff against Florida State and, potentially, the winner of Alabama-Ohio State for the national championship. College underclassmen face a Jan. 15 deadline to file notice with the NFL of their intention to enter the draft, and if Oregon reaches the championship game, Mariota will play just three days prior (Jan. 12 in Dallas).

» Tracking underclassmen intentions for 2015 draft
    Mariota receives his undergraduate degree from UO this month.

Last week, an NFL college scouting director told NFL Media's Albert Breer that if Mariota enters the draft, he would expect to grade him significantly higher than Robert Griffin III, who was chosen No. 2 overall by the Washington Redskins in 2012.

9. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

The guy has an about .500 record with only 1 good year. He flamed out in Atlanta and was obviously nothing special in Seattle. To me, he is a classic example of a guy who has gotten his shots because of who his dad is as opposed to what he has actually accomplished.

He's been better in college at UCLA, but I don't even think he is one of the top 5 guys you can get from college. If you want a college coach, just give Malzahn the job.

And I will say this again - the last thing this team needs in 2015 is another defensive minded head coach.

As for Bowles or Quinn, I think they are a lot more qualified, but I am just not in love with another DC as head coach. Why not try the offensive coach and a solid DC approach (failed HC who can coach defense) instead...

10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Firing our current sh-tty GM does not mean that we are open to the hiring of any other new sh-tty GM. There is absolutely no reason why the Jets can't fire Idzik and hire a top-tier, competent GM candidate (other than the fact that the Jets ownership is incompetent and Casserly's track record is terrible).

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jim Mora Jr would be a Pete Carroll-lite hire. He's not a young guy but he has some pro experience and he's running a successful college program in a major conference, albeit not at the same level Carroll was.

It's not a bad choice. Whether it's a good choice or not depends on other things that will either happen or not.

12. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Mora is a huge downgrade over Ryan .... Fuck my life

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mora is a downgrade over Rex with a good veteran roster and Darrelle Revis. It's not clear anybody is a huge downgrade over Rex given the situation the Jets are in.

legler82 likes this.
  14. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

idzik didnt do anything that Tanny wouldnt have done except leave us with no CBs and more DL than can fit on a field.

legler82 likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

Anybody but Hardbaugh is a downgrade over Rex at this point,but getting Hardbaugh looks like a pipe dream

16. legler82

To say the least Pete Carroll built a dynasty in college before coming back to the NFL; Mora not so much.

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the best decision isn't grab the hottest CB available on the market. The CB position wasn't ignored in the off season. We were plaugued by injuries. Saving money for the following off season was not a bad decision.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He's a downgrade.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

this has repeatedly and will continue to be ignored by the mob with an axe to grind.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

On a side note.. Owusu looked really good in that last drive against the Dolphins. Way to make Idzik look a little bit better, fella. Way to go.. lol