Final Call on Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Dec 27, 2014.

?

What should the Jets do with Rex Ryan at the end of the season?

1. Keep Rex

37.0%
  2. Fire Rex

63.0%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

this guy should have been gone after last season. very good DC, not HC material ... at least not yet.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I like Rex but it gets to a point where it's time to move on.......

Jets69 likes this.
  3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya lets keep Rex so we can watch the wildcat for years to come

TNJet likes this.
  5. NIJet

NIJet Member

Is that after he should have been awarded coach of the year

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Enjoyed having him as the head coach. Absolutely think he will get another shot at head coaching and if the roster is managed better than ours was, he will see more success. Lots of potential, way more than Herm or Mangini ever had. Sad ending.

BacktoQueens and rohirrim665 like this.
  7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

for what? having yet another team completely inept on the offensive side of the ball?

8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Way to cover your ass.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

shoulda been gone two years ago. I would make a better astronaut than he does a head coach and Ive never even had Tang

TNJet likes this.
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

people change, learn and become more wise with experience in life. sometimes it takes failing and self reflection to understand why you failed and how you need to grow. rex needs to grow as a coach before he's head coach material.

11. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Funny: Rex Ryan is running second to Idzik in the "fire his ass" sweepstakes.

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I feel like I'd feel if my favorite coworker is getting laid off and doesn't seem to deserve it.

I understand that it makes sense to let him go, but I wanted Rex to be my coach for a long long time. Expected him to be. Stunning to me to see his W/L record being what it is after six years. Such a shame. What's even more pathetic will be seeing how the National sports media will now embrace him, now that it is a foregone conclusion he's no longer the HC of the NYJ. I see it already - Yahoo sports has a pro Rex story this week regarding his game plan for Brady last week. That story would not have been written without the ax hanging over his head, and you guys know it's true.

rohirrim665 and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He needs to go so half our fan base can fulfill their thought that the perfect head coach is walking through that door.

Thats gonna be a hard realization for them when Dan Quinn is our head coach and we win 4 games a year for the next 3 years.

Imagine if the Pats fired Belicheck before 2001. He was never looked at as the perfect head coach. Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton dont seem to know much about defense but they keep jobs. Wonder why that is?!??

The problems for this franchise go way beyond a head coach.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Dude - Belicheck won the SUPERBOWL in his second season in NE. (so they would have fired him after year 1, no only the Jets do that ala Carroll)
    Sean Payton won the SUPERBOWL in his 4th season and before this year had 4 straight seasons with DOUBLE DIGIT wins.
    Mike McCarthy won the SUPERBOWL in his 5th season, won the division 4 times, and in playoffs 6 out of 8 years.

So please let us know how Rex belongs in the same breath as any of these guys, he doesn't even deserve to wipe their ass,

VaBchJet likes this.
  15. irishwhip03

Who says he doesnt though? Brady, Rodgers and Brees thats who.

That is something those coaches have that IF Rex had even a fraction of during his time here most likely would've atleast gotten to a Superbowl.

Some fans want to move on from him just for the sake of moving on. To maybe get that 1 in a million coach that will take us somewhere we havent been in 45 years. Well thats a longshot and a half.

Tomorrow doesnt mean shit. If Rex goes if Idzik goes..whatever. The real guy we need to be told that isnt coming back is Geno Smith. Because it all starts and ends with the QB.

We dont get an upgrade there and it wont matter what kinda coach we bring in.

Number 10 and rohirrim665 like this.
  16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Somebody here yesterday said that Busts are made don't just happen, well you could also argue they other way also.

Thing is all of those guys were DEVELOPED and have gotten better over time.
    Brady was a 6th rounder who every team passed on multiple times and actually started getting much better after winning 2 Super Bowls.
    Brees was traded away and became a better player in NO with the guidance of Payton.
    Rodgers sat 3 seasons learning and developing under a HOFer.

Great QBs don't fall from trees they are nurtured and developed.
    Neither Sanchez or Geno will ever be great, but I am 100% confident that under different coaching and circumstance they could be a hell of a lot better than they turned out.

So your answer is trade for a top 5 QB and then Rex can get the job done, because who in god's name would trust him with a QB prospect with potential.

17. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I totally agree. However, I think that coaches run out of inspiration after so many losses. I think this year, Rex ran out of motivational speeches. In the end, I think the team expected to lose. I know I expected them to lose. Rex never moved beyond running the defense. And that's probably why the other parts of the Jets game looked frayed, especially at crucial moments.

18. irishwhip03

No Im saying in my opinion great coaching can only take a team so far. Lots of people could argue the last 10+ seasons for Belicheck have been a failure considering the greatest QB ever and a historically weak division and 0 Superbowl wins. Arians has done a great job in Arizona but now is stuck with a guy who shouldnt even be in the league as his starting QB. You have to get lucky. There is no formula to this.

All I'll say is the top 5 QB's in the league can go to pretty much any team and be successful. The top 5 coaches in the league couldnt be successfull anywhere.

So it might matter a little if the Jets make a good hire for a head coach but its not gonna matter too much if the right QB isnt drafted or signed. Getting an upgrade there should be priority 1 , 2 and 3 this offseason.

19. irishwhip03

Well the problem is the roster has gotten significantly worse every season since after 2010. But to me Rex still overachieved and came up with ways to beat teams that other coaches just wouldn't have.

He got average to bad QB play last season and was able to pull off 8 wins with one of the least talented rosters in the league. Now we have arguably the least talented roster in the league and the worst QB play and it caught up to us with a 3 win season.

But even still we were in pretty much every single game this season outside of San Diego and the two against the Bills.

20. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Yeah, I feel you. but I think that we've seen too many examples of bizarre sideline issues: players calling timeouts, coaches calling timeouts; blitzes on 3rd down and forever that led to game-winning TDs. I mean, if there was a way to lose a game, Ryan's Jets found it.

I love Rex, but he, like the team, has regressed significantly in the last few years.