The Rex Ryan era that SHOULD have been...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Dec 14, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Probably the least enjoyable season for me personally since 1996. 2005, 2007, and 2012 were also all brutal.

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yes........there's also a great chance Geno will win MVP and Idzik will win NFL executive of the century awards

ajax and Pocket Jet like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

What? As I recall, it was like 5 or 6 YEARS into Chad's career before he ever threw a redzone pick. I remember a lot of lame duck outs, sure. The only redzone picks I recall were in his last couple of years here.

4. TwoHeadedMonster

Just a quick check to make sure I'm not the one who is nuts in this conversation:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/16/sports/football/16jets.html?_r=0

The important part, if you don't care to read the article is this section:
    It is also where Jets quarterback Chad Pennington has been flawless in protecting the ball. He has not turned it over in the red zone this season, extending a remarkable streak. In his N.F.L. career, Pennington has thrown 103 passes in the red zone, and not one has been intercepted. He has completed 67 passes, 31 for touchdowns. His red-zone passer rating is 120.4. His completion percentage there is a striking 73.5.

I don't have a great source for Red Zone stats, but it sure looks like he went another two years after this article before he threw one.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  5. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

+1. Really, the number of people who post here that Pennington was a total pick-throwing bust and was worse than Geno Smith is startling (well maybe not that last one ). He was the second best QB in the division in the last 15 years, probably even better than Bledsoe with the Bills. Too bad injuries wrecked his career.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

This, right here, is the precise definition of Same Old Jets. More than the stupid stuff like the Buttfumble, it is the inability to close the deal. When given a strong hand and designing a winning game plan, we still somehow fall short.

7. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

NO

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

S
    Sanchez was never going to be great. He's mediocre at best. Career backup QB.

9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

don't bother wasting your time educating the morons on this board, especially when he claimed Pennington was Sanchez's bro, I knew he was a complete dunce

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah U must be a newbie because U did not mention the 1970s whatsoever which if U check the record may have been the worst decade ever in NYJ history:mad:

Jets69 likes this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

couldn't have said it better--all true

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Well, I did say "since 1996". LOL.

Jake likes this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I just wish that for one season we could have given Rex a halfway decent QB - idiots on this board will applaud his departure like its a step in the right direction when pretty much no-one could have done much better with the talent available (I must have missed all those teams challenging for the SB with a bottom 5 QB starting for them......:rolleyes:)

ah well, hopefully we will do something to fix the QB spot in the offseason - though as they have never managed it yet I don't see why this offseason should be any different.

Number 10 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Given Rex a decent QB? Oh, please--You act like Rex is some victim of bad QB play. He had 6 years as coach. Rex himself tattooed Sanchez's number to his body. You think Rex Ryan can tell a good QB from a bad QB? Rex constantly crowed "Mark gives us the best chance to win" when everyone else wanted Sanchez out of town. Rex is more to blame than anyone for the crap QBs the jets have put on the field. If he hadn't lobbied for drafting defense every year the jets might have a decent QB.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I agree Rex Ryan should have had a veteran QB since Day 1.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

I agreed with Rex every time he said Mark Sanchez or were better than Timmy Tebow, Matt Simms ,Greg McElroy, and anybody who retired from the Jaguars. Being absolutely terrible is still better than being absolutely fucking terrible, even if it's not by much.

Now, if we had refrained from the brain-damaged act of trading for Tebow, and had kept Drew Stanton on our roster......he'd probably be mentoring Teddy Bridgewater for us to this day. And I'm not a Drew Stanton fan in the least, but the above argument still applies, Well-below-average is still way better than absolutely fucking terrible AND absolutely terrible.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we drafted Sanchez under an old skool top 5 rookie contract, there was no way on earth he was going to get cut unless he committed some federal crime - of course he was going to say Mark gave us the best chance to win when there was zero chance of us cutting him and we needed to try and keep his confidence up - when was the last time you saw a top 5 QB draft pick get cut quickly when everyone knows it can take 2 - 3 years at least to really know what you have.

Even Blaine Gabbert lasted 3 years and his contract was a mere $12m over 4 years compared to Mark's $50m over 5 years contract!!

rex's job is to make the most of the players on the team, it is the job of the scouting department and the GM to get the players - you think Rex pushed to draft Geno? or was desperate for us never to try to push for a top flight vet? The fact that he was actively lobbying to get Peyton to come to NY shows that he knew the QB position was an issue but its a very difficult one to fix regardless of who the team is - otherwise everyone would have an elite QB on their roster.

do you really think if the GM (whoever it was) came to Rex and said "I want to sign this above average Vet QB to the roster what do you think?" that he would have argued against it?

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

How about Rex approaching the GM and requesting that the jets spend one or their first round picks on a better QB after it was obvious to all that ol' butt fumble wasn't the answer? Do you REALLY think Rex Ryan had no part of the jets spending nearly every first round pick and 2 of the top 3 in the last 4 drafts on defense? You paint Rex as the unfortunate victim coach who never was given a decent QB when Rex himself (as any coach could) could have taken steps to upgrade the position in the draft, free agency or just playing someone else. Plus, you ignore Rex's biggest flaw which was that he is the worst IN-GAME coach that God every put on the sidelines--he burns at least 3 needed timeouts a game, never knows when to go for a 2-point conversion, has no control over his own defensive players calling timeouts when the offense is on the field, challenges when he has no chance of suceeeding, and fails to adjust after halftime. THE JETS HAVE NOT HAD A WINNING RECORD IN HIS LAST 4 SEASONS--THEY HAVE WON 3 WHOLE GAMES THIS YEAR--STILL WANT TO DEFEND HIS COACHING?

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I wanted no part of Mevi$ , but Cro should have been kept. Also our draft was complete shit in a WR heavy draft.

ajax likes this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

How do you know what rex did or did not do in terms of trying to sort the QB position? Does rex have absolute control over the draft process? No. Does he have control over free agency? No (obviously otherwise he would have sorted the DB position), who do you suggest that he should have played in place of Sanchez? Who were those brilliant vets that the Jets brought in during Mark's time here or even during Geno Smith's? Kellen? Brunell? Simms? Tebow? Vick?

And I am not defending his coaching, what I am doing is laying the majority of the blame for the state the Jets find themselves in where it belongs - which is the total failure of the organization to find or develop a top flight QB prospect pretty much in the history of the franchise - or did we have elite QBs here when it was Edwards, Mangini, Kotite, anyone else you can think of, leading the Jets?

Clark Gaines likes this.