How far could Teddy Bridgewater slip?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Br4d, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The 3 of them went up and down in order in my mind on pretty much a weekly basis. When Mariota announced he was staying in school I really focused on Teddy and Carr. I really like them both a lot and I'm not sure who's going to be better. I think they are both going to be very good winning QBs in this league.

As much as I want Mariota, I would be glad to not have to have taken him this year if we had grabbed either of those two.

But yeah, at this point, since we did pass on them, we really need to get him at all costs.

_

2. JStokes

Motherfucking piece of shit Idzik.

He was there for the picking.

The answer.

The potential savior.

The franchise changer.

Don't fuck up and not get Mariota.

Btw lol BWay dumping on Teddy.

_

Brook! and b.reyes16 like this.
  3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Consider the context of picking him, for a second. Geno's demise was not a foregone conclusion at that point.

Hindsight is indeed 20/20

4. JStokes

Go back and read my posts.

Not a shred of 20/20 hindsight.

More like foresight from 2012 and 2013. I wanted Teddy the year BEFORE we drafted Geno.

I wanted NO QB out of that weak 2013 draft because I always thought the 2014 was superior at the position.

I sat in the cold and snow of Yankee Stadium and the Pinstripe Bowl and confirmed I wanted nothing to do with that guy, especially after watching Teddy that year.

_

5. Axel3419

Not you, just any reasonable GM would do what Idzik did in this scenario. In fact, every single team passed on Bridgewater save one.

Two actually, if you include the Colts

6. JStokes

That doesn't make it right. Idzik passed on a great QB prospect because as awful as Geno was, he played 4 mediocre games at the end of the year giving Idzik cover to continue to prop up his failed 2nd round pick.

_

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Geno's pick 6 at the start was the sole reason the game was as close as they looked today.

Teddy didn't look all that good either.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the game was lost to misfiring offense (again) and to the worlds worst blitz call in OT.

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings with my nephew (the Steelers fan) so that he could watch the Steelers game since it wasn't being shown in Ct. About a half dozen times during the game he said something about the game looking good for the Jets because they were down only a few points and each time my response was the same: that's not good it's neutral because all that offense is good for each drive is a few points tops.

When the game went to OT he asked if I wanted to stick around to see the end and I told him I could listen to the loss in the car on the way home because even if the Jets won the toss they weren't going to get better than a FG out of the first drive and then the Vikings would find a way to win it.

At this point I'd think the Jets were tanking for the pick but I know that's not true. The offense has been good for FG's all year long and that's all they're getting now.

People look at the TO's as Geno's downfall but the truth is that he'd have survived the TO's if he lead a few TD drives each game. That's how Eli kept things going when he was turning the ball over his first few seasons. He got some TD passes also and the Giants won some games in the process.

The Jets offense is just such a blank at this point and the team winds up tying itself to the railroad tracks almost every game as a result. Then sooner or later a train comes along and runs them over. Every game.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1 play that could be good for 14 point swing - I never thought I'd get to see one of these. If you happen to lose 14 in a game like that - you WILL lose that game.

#689 Zach, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. JStokes

Teddy was playing a very good defensive line yesterday and he has ZERO offensive talent around him.

He completed over 70% of his passes--his yardage was inflated by that fluke at the end-- but he did throw 2 TDs and his INT was an end of half Hail Mary.

He's completing 62% of his passes this year. He's on the positive side of TD:INT ratio and he hasn't lost a fumble.

And he's a ROOKIE.

If our rookie last year had a positive TD to turnover ratio and completed over 60%, we wouldn't be talking about losing out so we can draft a franchise QB.

_

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Rex seems to have become a When-in-doubt-blitz guy. But they needed 5 yards and that ain't hard to get against a blitz. I flashed to Victor Cruz then began laughing hysterically. And Geno still cannot get it done although Ithought Graham may have cost him a TD late.

12. Br4d

Geno just doesn't look comfortable out there. He has no natural rhythm in the pocket and I'm not sure you can develop that. Everything you see out of him is pure athletic ability and adrenaline. Sometimes it gets the job done but more often than not it doesn't.

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Yup. He always looks like he is aiming to me. No real touch.

14. Axel3419

I was re-reading this thread to see how people felt about Bridgewater last season. Damn, you nailed this. You even predicted Bridgewater would go to the Vikings (albeit at the 8th pick instead of the 32nd.)

And this was back in March, over 2 months before the draft.

Br4d likes this.
  15. Br4d

I just got lucky. All 4 teams were looking for QB's and all had specific motivations for the guys they took. Jacksonville wanted to sell tickets desperately and Bortles was a star at UCF. Manziel was an almost other worldly personality and talent and the Browns desperately needed some star power at the position in that division. Bridgewater looked like a Norv Turner project in the making. Carr was a good fit for the Raiders perennial attempts to run and shoot and he was also a good regional draw from Fresno State.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Brad

Unbelievable really. You really guessed all those teams correctly. Nice. How do you think 2015 draft will shake? :)

17. Petey

Petey Active Member

A reasonable GM would have looked at Geno Smith in 2013, identified him as NO GOOD DEAD DOG RAISIN DICK and drafted someone else.

18. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I think another thing to takeaway here is perspective...everyone writing off our chances on getting Winston/Mariota or saying we need to trade up should remember how the draft is so hard to predict. So many things can happen from a bad bowl game, bad pro day workouts or a bad combine. Don't just assume we need to trade the future to get these guys. Given how bulled up everyone is on these two QBs, more things can hurt their draft stock than can help it at this point.

In addition to Bridgewater, See Geno Smith, Manziel, Etc. Or in the opposite direction - Bortles and Garropolo. Trading up shouldn't even be in the discussion until 2 weeks before a draft when board is more set. ( and we shouldn't be trading up anyway)

Br4d and Axel3419 like this.
  19. Br4d

At this point I'd be really surprised if either Mariota or Winston is taken #1 and if both of them go in the top 5. It's very possible that's how it will go down but I don't think either of them is hands down the most valuable player in the draft and a lot will shift before draft day.

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Great analysis. You are an essential member to this board.

Axel3419 likes this.