Good Riddance, Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Dec 22, 2014.

1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Gonna miss Rex unfortunately he wore out the welcome mat.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

And a lot of people forget that, however well the Jets played IN the playoffs in 2009, they really had no business being there. Two lir downs by the Colts and Bengals got them there. So a case could be made for one to say Rex really legitimately only got them to the playoffs once

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What other Jet coaches were more "overrated"?

Ken Schipp?

You do understand what overrated means, right?

Duh...what am I saying...of course you do.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, when it's all well and done, I'll be happy if and only if, the next HC is better than Rex after his five year tenure. The rest is BS.

Further, without a GM and staff that knows how to bring in and replenish talent on the field year after year no HC can be a winner, but who cares about that, apparently that had nothing to do with this year team performance.

Rex will be gone because he was not able to make us a winner, or more importantly at least a perennial contender for the division during his tenure. Period end of story.
    Oh by the way neither has any other coach since time memorial, none zero nada. Not even the great "one year wonder and mortagage the future" Purcell.

The blame on Rex runs deep and wide by the haters, as if that was even necessary with the many legitimate reasons, piling in shit that is totally irrelevant or flat out wrong like his involvement in personnel and draft moves, his bravado, his personal life courtesy of the shit NY media, and his inability to control the locker room.

Of the field? Really who gives a fuck? BB personal trash like his filthy cheating attitude goes ignored because his team is a winner. Like I said, spare me the rest of the whinning because it's BS. Winning in this league is everything.

There is only one critical thing that separates awesome coaches from the rest, and it's often totally out of their control. What makes them great is a franchise QB.....Without it, you will be forever a looser.

So enough about canning Rex, we have all called for his head already, or worrying about a new coach, because if we don't hit the jackpot with an elite QB and a GM that understands that we will never amount to shit.

Fuck, a HC without talent is like a race car driver competing in a Yugo

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Rex has brought more joy to my life as a Jet fan than any other coach I've seen since being a fan.

I hope Woody keeps him.

6. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

yeah.... that damned media. Today in the NY Post they captured the buffoon again in his foolishness. (So at the risk of being a hater, here is what they printed)

Rex Ryan probably won’t have a job Monday, but he’s still confident he eventually will guide a team to a Super Bowl victory.
    “I see myself winning it as a head coach,” Ryan said Tuesday after Jets practice. “I definitely see it. If that happens, I guess we’ll find out.”
    When asked to clarify if he meant the Super Bowl, Ryan did not back down.
    “Absolutely,” said Ryan, whose team is 3-12. “I don’t need to win something else like the Snoopy [Bowl] trophy. I’ve won that a couple of times. I’m confident I can win it again.”

7. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

And what should he have said? If YOU were a coach, with RR's record and likely unemployed soon, if asked if you believe if you will eventually guide a team to a Super Bowl victory, what would you say?

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Rex IS the worst in-game coach ever. I have never seen a coach waste so many needed timeouts, and when he is not wasting them some defensive player on the sideline will call timeout when the offense is on the field--real good control, Rex.

9. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Sometimes silence is well served.
    By the way, he was not asked the question. He came out with the statement.

10. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

What would it have served? He's obviously lost you.

Yet another reason to move on... ;-)

#90 Clark Gaines, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

2012 was the year I knew he had to go. You keep sending Mark out to the wolves every game without trying something else, you are clinically insane. Tanny and Rex should have both been gone with the GM selecting his own HC. That way Idzik would never be here. The Rex keeper netted us Idzik.

alleycat9, tomdeb and VaBchJet like this.
  12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Nope, even on your best day you have him beat by a mile in that category.

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

slimjasi and Jets1035 like this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

looked like a fg not a pooch punt. Why would you pooch punt in that situation? They were inside Folk's range before the sack yes?

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

1) Yes and Coughlin was fired for those 4 straight losing seasons. LOL

2) This is a comparison that a lot of Rex fanboys have made. But, like most arguments that seek to exonerate Rex, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Let's take a look.

When Cowher had his three straight non-playoff years (7-9 in 1998, 6-10 in 1999, and 9-7 in 2000), he had already amassed a total record of 64-32 in his first SIX years. Meanwhile, Rex is 45-50 in his first SIX years (with one game remaining). Also, by that point, Cowher had been to THREE AFC championship games and ONE Superbowl. Rex has been to TWO AFC Championship games and he lost both. And finally, Cowher also had already won FIVE division titles. Rex has yet to win any.

This is a rather convenient comparison, because we are looking at each coach's first six seasons. To summarize:

Cowher: 64-32 overall record, 5 division titles, 3 AFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl

Rex: 45-50 overall record (with one game pending), 0 division titles, 2 AFC Championship games and 0 Superbowls.

3) Yes and BB was fired for those losing records. LOL

alleycat9 likes this.
  16. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

THAT right there!

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I like Rex Ryan, in fact I will miss him...But lets look at the facts:

Pros
    -Rex is a excellent defensive coach
    -Rex is a great motivator and Hurrah! coach
    -Rex is personable and relates to the players aka "Players coach"

Cons
    - Rex never did a great job of LEADING as a Head Coach on all 3 phases (Defense, OFFENSE, Special Teams)
    -Team lacked in discipline so often...Plethora of penalties
    -Over coddling players and failing to call out players for not stepping up when needed
    - Crucial lack of in-game adjustments...As games progressed he rarely countered to what the other team was doing changing tactics. Instead of pushed ground/pound, blitz defense, checkdown football

Rex lasted longer then most head coaches.

slimjasi likes this.
  18. slimjasi

It's fine to appreciate him and even miss him. But, the mistake you tend to make with Rex (and you do the same thing with Sanchez) is that you let your admiration of his past success cloud your assessment of his overall body of work. Yes, Rex brought us two wonderful playoff runs in 2009 and 2010. Those can never be taken away from him.

But, since then, he's failed to build on that success, and in point of fact, the team has collapsed under his leadership. How much leeway should those two years buy him? You essentially argue that he should always be looked at as a winner and great coach because of those two years. But, he has coached for six seasons, not two. And in four of those seasons (2/3 of his coaching tenure and twice as long as the successful portion of that tenure) his team has failed to win more games than it has lost. Yes, he brought us as close as we have been to the Superbowl since Weeb, but he also hasn't won for four years now. By your logic, because Joe Namath is the only quarterback to lead us to a championship, he should be the one under center this coming Sunday. After all, he's given us our most success!!! Right? Do you see how silly this line of thinking is?

19. slimjasi

Scooped up in a minute? I say he isn't an NFL head coach next year.

20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I really do hope that another team does scoop up Rex in a minute as you say--At least there will be one team in the NFL then that the jets can beat.