Good Riddance, Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Dec 22, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

'

Based on . . . what, exactly?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what he has done here w/ the talent he has had to work with. had top 4 teams in league first 2 years w/ talent that was probably barely top 10. '12 and '13 had awful teams and kept them both in contention late. 2013 was the best coaching job I have seen in a long time.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Rex has his strengths and weaknesses as a head coach, but never seemed to improve upon his weaknesses. I would be very surprised if he's back next season.

freemantoon likes this.
  4. slimjasi

Ahhh, so, whenever Rex won, he overachieved. Whenever Rex lost, he overachieved. Got it.

[​IMG]

TNJet likes this.
  5. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

I've never seen so much love and devotion to a man who clearly is over his head when it comes to being a head coach.....riding those two consecutive AFC championship losses into the ground...one of which would off never happened if the Colts didn't decide to rest Peyton Manning that regular season game. Nothing but diminishing returns since...from numerous examples of lack of discipline both on and off of the field ...sometimes to the point of absolute embarrassment ....there's so much blind devotion to him that it's cost the jobs of three offensive coordinators and probably two GMs...but nothing sticks to Goober Rex....just how important is a coach to a team when he isn't held accountable for any of its failures....3 and friggin 12....the bar is set low here, apparently ...just another losing Jets coach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freemantoon, TNJet and JetsNation06 like this.
  6. slimjasi

Junc, still waiting . . .

7. nyjunc

maybe it's time to go? I don't know, I just know he's a top coach and Pitt could have fired Cowher, NYG Coughlin, etc... continuity is a good thin when you have good coaches.

8. nyjunc

It's not blind devotion, it's an appreciation of being the only coach to give us 2 chances to reach SBs and the coach who got us closer than any since Weeb. a coach who made our franchise relevant and made us a marquee attraction around the league. I appreciate everything he did and I will miss him.

9. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

One of the things that bothers me the most is his loyalty to players that under perform. He never seems to call anyone out and hold them accountable for poor play.
    I've watched 4 years of underperforming offense. 3 different coordinators, 3 QB's and countless players.
    His hand picked OC lasted 1 season.
    He failed to change out Mark 2 seasons ago when we were fighting for the playoffs, because he loyal to a fault. A change might have helped durring the season for coach and player.
    Can somebody tell me why durring games his CB's on short yardage situations play 12 yards off the line?
    Or why the other team always puts a drive together before the half because REX plays the prevent defense? This happens a all the time.
    Finally, I hate all the mental mistakes our players makes durring the games. We always seem to make a mistake in a big spot.
    He is the coach, and this is all on him in my opinion.

freemantoon likes this.
  10. nyjunc

he did change Mark and how did that go? awful. it's not like we had Tom Brady on the bench and we had the worst offensive talent in the league.

11. slimjasi

Just because a few good coaches could have been fired doesn't mean that Rex is one of those guys. Rex hasn't been a winner for 4 years now. That's a long time in his business.

12. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

What game was that?

When a guy throws 4 int's in game your trying to win to go to the playoffs, it's time for a change in the game. Not a week later. When he is asked a question about the offense durring an after game press confrence, and he looks lost and comes out with Im not sure what happend. That's bad.
    When Santiono Holmes took himself out of the Miami game, where was REX? LOST!!! Didn't have an answer.
    We need a coach with his finger on the pulse of the team, the whole team. Not only the defense. someone who can push the buttons when he has to.
    Rex doesn't do this enough.
    Time to move on.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Really Junc?

It's his opinion. Nothing asinine about it.

And he may well be right.

14. nyjunc

he's only had 2 losing seasons in those 4 years.

Coughlin had 4 straight losing seasons
    Cowher missed 3 straight postseason
    BB had losing records 5 of his first 6 seasons

I can go on.

the backup started against SD, took 10+ sacks and we lost.

the Santonio MIami game was week 17 2011 when we were already eliminated.

15. nyjunc

say what you want about the guy but it's pretty stupid to say he may be most overrated. Look at our history of coaches and tell me he's overrated.

16. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Playoffs or not ,still bad that he had no control over that, and after the fact gave the guy the benefit of the doubt. If fact he didn't know it even happend. Thats bad. The head coach should know all that is going during the game. BOTH SIDES!!
    Its about making adjustments during the game, giving the team "THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN" not sticking your head in the sand and waiting until the game is over. He is bad at time mangement, and in game adjustments. His teams play without discipline on the field, year after year.

How long do you suggest we keep Rex running the team? 2 more GM's ? 5 more years? When does his team have to show improvement?

freemantoon likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that we didn't even win our division, so it is hard to argue that we had a top 4 team in either of those seasons, especially first one 9-7 and out of the playoffs until the Colts decided to sit Peyton.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Junc, do you actually watch Jet football games? I'm curious as to if you actually watch the games, and if you do, do you actually pay attention to them.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. nyjunc

we made ther final 4 each year, that means more than a div title. ask NE if they would have liked to play for the right to go to the SB rather than go one and done

20. nyjunc

I did watch and I understand what I am watching which cannot be said for all. fans need a scapegoat I get that but there's no doubt Rex is an outstanding coach and he will be scooped up in a minute and win somewhere else.