Good Riddance, Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Dec 22, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

1) Oh, so, since it's not "Kotite bad," it's acceptable?

2) We were barely "alive" for the playoffs in 2012 and 2013, past mid November. If you sincerely thought we had a chance at the playoffs in either of those two years, you are more hopeless than I thought.

3) Most importantly, SO FUCKING WHAT if we were ever really "in contention" somewhat late into any of these seasons? The bottom line is that we finished at 8-8 or worse in each of them. And, in point of fact, if we lose to Miami this Sundany, this year will be the worst year we have had SINCE Rich Kotite in 1996. How's that for being "in contention?"

alleycat9 and Jets69 like this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I do think a lot of that is roster driven. 2011 you can look at as the Jets turning the O over to Mark Sanchez, who promptly shat the bed. 12 was when the real circus came to town, though, and that imo was mostly on Tanny and Woody and the Tebow Show.

But... Ryan was clearly a definite part of the problem in the 12 season.

I thought he should have been canned after 12. Despite Tanny and Woody owning a big chunk of that fiasco. But Woody retained him, and much was made of them "boucing back" to 8-8 with a shit Qb last year. Well, putting aside the nonsense about Vick not really geting to compete and the season going down in flames thanks to Smith and no Cb's, I think you can look at things that are purely Rex's area of responsibility, and that is disheartening.

He continues to make too many game day mistakes. I think he bears much of the responsibility for lack of development on O, too. He has failed to get a good replacement for Westhoff.

Bottom line is, he's just not getting better as an HC, and even in the heyday of his first two seasons, there were scuh egregious problems as the team not being up for the Champ Game against Pitt.

Maybe he does better with greener pastures, or more specifically if he goes to a team with an established Qb, he could find success. But he's gotta go.

freemantoon likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Is kotite the last time we went 0-for against the AFC East? Just wondering.. because that's coming sunday

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who said anything about acceptable? you are making things up now.

but we were alive, right?

this will be the worst year since 2007, 2005, and maybe 1996. we'll see how Sunday goes. It's been a horrible year but the team keeps fighting, we just don't have the talent especially at QB where if we had a decent one we'd at least be near .500 and heading in the right direction.

Coaches need QBs, BB was a complete failure w/o Tom Brady, it's impossible to win w/o a quality QB.

5. nyjunc

I believe 1996 was the last time we went 0 for the AFC East and it was 0-8 that year.

6. slimjasi

If it isn't acceptable, then why are you defending Rex? What are you saying? The team's performance has been unacceptable for 2/3 of Rex's tenure here, but somehow, Rex is still an awesome coach?? Right . . .

Again, who gives a fuck? What matters is that we have finished with a non-winning record for the last four seasons. Why are you so content with being mediocre or worse? We haven't been a winning team since 2010. Why are you so desperately defending a coach who is 17-33 in his last 50 games? Because we won with him 4 and 5 years ago? How much longer should Rex get? Is he allowed to go 8-8 or worse for the next 5 years? 10 years? Should he get a lifetime contract because he got us to two conference championship games? These aren't rhetorical . Answer please.

And? Does Rex get a cookie for that? They are professional athletes with pride and reputation on the line every time they step on the field. They BETTER be fighting. Rex doesn't get any special credit for getting his team to play hard . . . Again, they BETTER be playing hard.

Maybe, but Rex isn't in the same coaching stratosphere as BB. Let's stick to comparing mediocre coaches.

TNJet, Ben Had and Snoopdogg like this.
  7. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I have been on the Rex bandwagon basically until this year - I was ambivalent last off season about him. But I think enough is enough. Rex has not shown any ability to lead an offense for his entire tenure here, including 2009-10. Time to find a more balanced coach.

That said, I wish him well in his future endeavors and would not be in the least surprised if he figured it out and did well somewhere else in a few years.

Clark Gaines and Jake like this.
  8. nyjunc

the coach can only do so much, he has kept a bad roster competitive for all but one year. he's one of the best in the game.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It'll be tough to see him go, since I'm a big fan, but its time.

I think sucks he's never had a quality QB that could win games if the D struggled. A fresh start is needed at this part. Hopefully he goes into broadcasting so I can still see him every week.

10. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

That iceing a kicker is bullshit. How many times has a kicker missed without being iced? If the kicker is nerves it when he sees his team driving down the field to set up for a FG. If anything a timeout helps the kicker claim down. How many times have we seen a kicker miss right when the other team calls a timeout? Then make it after the timeout?

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Can you try a little harder not to sound like a teenage girl going through a breakup

slimjasi likes this.
  12. nyjunc

you know we were punting before he called the timeout, right? it was a direct snap to Folk to punt the bal. he changed his mind to attempt the FG which is why he called the TO so no one was iced.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Very asshole comment, thank you for concern!

74 likes this.
  14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Rex did some cool things in '09 & '10. I really liked his introduction, taking no shit attitude and setting our sights on a Super Bowl.

Somewhere...Rex lost his edge. He got really soft. The Jets need the bravado back. We need someone who is going to get us a division title, who won't "kiss the rings*". Its so sorry to watch all these coaches get on their knees for BB. Someone step up and knock this loser off his pedestal.

Rex did it once, but that Rex disappeared years ago; so long old friend.

VaBchJet likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The_Darksider likes this.
  16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Good catch...I did notice that but had forgotten.

WTF? Why is it that the Jets can't even ATTEMPT a long-range FG against NE?

Shows how much the entire franchise needs an enema!!

17. nyjunc

NE does a great job of blocking long FGAs, I don't know if when Folk drives his longer FGs he does so lower than most K's but he has had a bunch blocked/tipped from long range especially against the Pats.

18. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

He is arguably the most overrated coach in this teams history.

TNJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. nyjunc

this is quite possibly the most asinine post in the history of this board.

20. slimjasi

It really is fascinating. The Rex brigade is in love.