Would you make a straight-up trade, Geno Smith for Mike Glennon? I think Lovie Snmith would.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 22, 2014.

?

Would you make a straight-up trade Geno Smith for Mike Glennon in Tampa Bay?

1. Yes, I would take Glennon over Smith

28 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, Smith is a better option

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. I want niether and would cut Smith

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Any change would at least give some hope for next season. If we go into 2015 with Smith as the starter, we are looking at a top 3 pick in 2016. Glennon and Cooper would give us some respect.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Problem with Glennon is his lack of mobility, which puts a point of emphasis on the OLine pass protecting, something they don't do all that well. In his 2nd year, his play has suffered because of a terrible Bucs OLine and thus missed throws because of the pressure occurred for Glennon in the starts he made.

If the Jets invest a 1st round pick in a franchise LT(If there is one in their mind), then sure. But that's the big question....we have 2 holes(Maybe 3 but I would rather let a RG or LG competition commence) in one of the guard spots and I feel LT(DBrick has not been anywhere near the franchise LT he used to be, he's living off name recognition and his great durability at this point IMO unlike Mangold) could use an upgrade if you grab an OT in round 1.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Fuck Smith..cut his sorry ass and eat the 1.5 mil over two years..he can take his attitude somewhere else if anybody even wants him.

freemantoon likes this.
  4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I trade GeNO for a bag of dirty jock straps. I don't even want to see him as a back up here. JMHO

freemantoon likes this.
  5. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I dont think Geno has any trade value.

6. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

This may not be the most popular opinion, but we should probably keep Geno Smith as a backup or someone to compete with whoever we bring in. Smith has proven that he can be a serviceable backup and it doesn't make sense to cut him and then sign someone for the vet minimum or more.

7. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Yes. I'd do it 10 out of 10 times.. Forget what they both have done/looked like.. Glennon will be more successful than Geno.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I even suggested the possibility of trading Kerley for Glennon and then drafting Amari Cooper.

It's really a surprise that TB is so cold on him and continues to start Josh McCown. You name the category, and Glennon's numbers are better... a lot better. And when compared to Geno, they're not even close through their first two years. Tampa will probably get Mariota and Glennon should be available if they won't even play him over McCown at the end of a basically meaningless season

9. JetFanInPA

I wouldn't call a guy drafted in the 3rd round just last year a career backup. This guy took over the starting job last season and posted a 59.4 completion percentage, a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio (19:9) and a QBR of 83.9. Also fumbled less than Geno...

In 2014, in comes a new regime and the team goes out and gets Josh McCown and pretty much decides they want him as the starter. Still put up a 10:6 TD:INT ratio, a 57.6% completion percentage and a QBR of 83.3 and didn't even lose a fumble. He's greatly outplayed Josh McCown, but this regime just doesn't like him..

His numbers have been SIGNIFICANTLY better than Geno through two years and it's not even close. Oh, and Geno has been the beneficiary of top 5 or 6 rushing offenses both years. Glennon has had below average and bottom five rushing attacks both years.

And not for nothing, but just for comparisons sake, Glennon was significantly better as a rookie than Andrew Luck.

I'm not trying to say this guy is a franchise QB, but he looks to have the potential to be a good one. That's a damn good start to a career for any QB yet alone a 3rd round pick on bad teams. Tampa has clearly prematurely given up on him and continues to play an older, less competent QB due to whatever bias they have against him or, more accurately, the style of QB he is - an immobile, big-armed pocket passer. If they aren't playing him now, why would they even consider playing him next year? This guy should become available and I would offer a guy like Jeremy Kerley, who can be greatly upgraded by drafting Amari Cooper, or even a draft pick.

This would be an ideal choice for competition at QB: young, impressive in the NFL so far, and promising

10. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't dislike this as an option. To be honest, though, I'd try and pick up Glennon without trading Geno. I've watched a number of Glennon's games and I can't for the life of me understand why he isn't starting over McCown.

Glennon's upside is much higher than Geno but, also understand, Geno is a fantastic backup. I think, short of being able to get one of the other pedestrian possible FA QB's, Glennon wouldn't be a HORRIBLE choice to bring in.

11. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Glennon has had Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans to throw to. He's not good.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Sure, why not. Geno isnt the answer. I'd take a chance on that. Still need to further address the QB position though. That cant be our solution if something like that ever materialized.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He was better last year without Evans and only Jackson. Strangely enough

14. JetFanInPA

Last year he only had Jackson and was good... This year he had both (though Evans emerged later) and was decent... Each year he had a below average/bad running attack

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i dont understand what everyones obession is with mike glennon..and why do the bucs want to get rid of him he will be going on year 3 of a 4 year deal thats cheap...at worst hes a good back up to have

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Don't forget Mike Williams and Tim Wright.

17. JetFanInPA

I don't even get this whole argument though... he played well as a rookie and not bad this year either

18. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

......and after next year, Geno and Lovie will be on the bread line.

19. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

you are right about not trading Geno, just get rid of him at the end of the season. Why subject another team to this intense pain.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he played bad. I hate the whole talent argument. But Glennon did have a little more to work with.