Good Riddance, Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Nope, can't do it. Before anything else, fact straight: we did have 2 other AFC Championship Game appearances after 1969 and before Rex.

He had 4 piss poor seasons, not 2. I am always amazed how we just settle for those .500% seasons as though it is a label of success. It isn't. 8-8 isn't winning. In the NFL, it is nowhere.

He made a buffoon of himself from his first press conference until his last (well almost...maybe 2 more left). His actions off the field are as much of a mockery as those on the sidelines. Some are amused, I never was. I wanted him to be a pro-football coach, not an entertainer. He failed at both.

Perhaps it is in the family genes, most likely is. His father was the center of much negative attention (despite success, he was a boorish loudmouth and physically fought with his own coaches) , his brother is a sub standard journey man DC (about to be unemployed again). They act like NFL royalty - they are not.

He has to thank Tony Dungy (another fool) for lying down in the 2011 regular season game and letting the Jets into the playoffs. His team did a poor job in the first half of the 2012 Pittsburgh game and that was perhaps our best opportunity. That is on the coaches as much as the players. Appreciate the fact that we were there, but let's not put him up for a lifetime free pass. Then as his players began to trickle in, we saw what his success fabric was made of: 8-8; 6-10; 8-8; 3-13

I don't want to hear how his players never quit, that he was a player's coach, that he is a defensive genius, blah, blah. He picked crappy staff, loaded up on defense, opened his fat mouth so many time that we are an NFL laughing stock, does not know shit about the other side of the ball, and we are so broken down, that we are faced with a few more years of the same before it can be fixed.

No, I have no appreciation for him what-so-ever.

#21 Pocket Jet, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Are you for real? got us closer? 2 AFC title games and we LOST, ever heard of Bill Parcells 1998??? or Walt Micheals? both brought us to the title game and LOST

slimjasi and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Jason garett against the Ravens

Jets69 likes this.
  4. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Not seeing how loading up on defense is necessarily a bad thing. And, really, you're dissing him for opening his fat mouth? Wasn't this entire post a case of YOUR open mouth, insert foot? Rex Ryan's time has passed him here. But, it's not his fault we are "so broke down..." blah blah blah. I get that you hate the man, but, it's hardly all his fault the Jets suck.

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ha-ha I was trying to remember who did that recently

6. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I was not attacking you, but I see you need the need to do so. So be it.
    I don't hate him... that is a very strong word.
    I have been a fan since 1965, have seen a lot of crap going on here , I just don't have much respect for him.
    I was stating some opinion. I thought that was what the message board was for.
    Stocking up on defensive players, bad? - No. But we surely had so many other needs the past 2 seasons. He is the Head coach, he is on the committee to review that and bring in what is needed for the team. he failed.

Wishing you a very Happy Holiday.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

On top of what you posted:

The play call was a pooch punt. If you are punting from there, don't waste the TO, just take the 5 yards. Instead he took the TO, second guessed himself, kicked the FG, and missed. IT was a collection of mistakes.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rex found a way to be competitive with, turnover prone QBs. (9-7 with Sanchez rookie year, 8-8 with Geno) The thing is, you hope those QBs develop under Rex, Sanchez and Geno didn't. We don't need to rehash all of the Tanny stuff and Sanchez stuff, and etc, but it seems Rex needs a team with a veteran QB.

He can get the D there, he can get the ground game going, but developing QBs is something he missed on twice. A veteran QB like Favre in 2009 for example might have been a better fit for Rex than trying to take a young QB. Or a less gun slinging type QB.

It's interesting, because you see the coaching ability, but you also get frustrated that the offense has been a consistent problem. I wonder if he gets a second shot, which I think he will, and how he approaches the QB situation if he gets a young QB.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

1) 4 straight non-winning, non-playoff years (out of 6 total)

2) 17-33 in his last 50 games.

3) 3-12 (likely going on 3-13) in his final season (our worst season since at least 2007 and probably 1996 after next sunday).

4) 45-50 overall record.

5) 6 years of hot air, empty promises, telling his players they are better than they really are, and embarrassingly delusional comments.

He doesn't get to live off his first two years forever. They were great. They are among my best memories as a Jets fan (The 1998 team is still my personal favorite and is still the best overall Jets team since superbowl 3.) But, he's had plenty of time to turn us into a consistent winner. He hasn't. Instead, we've endured four straight years of disappointment and no playoffs. It's time to move on.

#29 slimjasi, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Jets1035, LIJetsFan, TNJet and 3 others like this.
  10. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

I was attacking the notion of calling someone a big mouth in a big mouth way. Seems hypocritical. Moreover, I don't dislike the notion of projecting confidence. I really don't think it matters. Talk is cheap. So is being quiet. If someone asks me if I'm confident, I'm going to answer confidently. What doomed Ryan was the lack of offensive execution and talent. So fault him for the offensive failures. Don't fault him for not picking offensive talent because that's not his job. It's the GM's job to take the best players for the team, whether they are offensive or defensive and regardless of what the HC wants. The Jets have whiffed so many times RECENTLY, both on offense and defense, it's hardly a singular failure.

Happy Holidays to you, too.

p.s. I've been a fan since 1969, when I got my first Joe Namath electric football set. Take THAT, oldtimer!!

TwoHeadedMonster and Pocket Jet like this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lol we were all in the metlife confused .. i hear everybody asking the person next to them asking what the hell that was about lol.

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Like i said before... We cant get the WHOLE team to be prepared, always only one unit shows up while others fail... Yesterday we made Brady look wayyyy worse than he really is thanks to the front 7, the defense as a whole played pretty damn good. The offense was good but needed to be a tad bit better (percy leaving early played it's part as well). the damn kicking unit which is our bread and butter at least through folk....wtf!! 2nd time we lost to these guys this year because of ugly field goal execution. If the whole team clicks and are on the same page i believe without a doubt the jets are a playoff ready football team. (well and a QB away.)

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Wasn't that ridiculous? He is one of the worst in-game coaches I have ever seen.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you deserve to have Rich Kotite as your HC.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

17-33 in the last 50 is almost rich kotite

16. nyjunc

kotite was 4-28. 17-33 looks bad but we were in the playoff hunt in December w/ very flawed rosters 3 of the last 4 seasons. this is the first year we were out of it before December. It's hard for fans to see that and they need a scapegoat but coaches need players to win. He had decent talent the first few years and we won big, the talent has been drained the last few and he has still kept us in contention outside of this year.

Clark Gaines likes this.
  17. slimjasi

*Yawn

Really nice retort. Your argument came together rather nicely.

18. slimjasi

17-33 "looks" bad? As opposed to actually being bad?

So, your argument is that, it's ok that we have only won 17 out of our last 50 games because we were (very marginally) alive for the playoffs in (very early) December during a couple of our previous seasons?

Brilliant.

alleycat9 likes this.
  19. nyjunc

it's bad but it's not Kotite bad and again even bad we were in playoff contention in December each year except this year.

20. slimjasi

On what planet have we been anything close to "in contention" over the last few seasons? Why are you such a homer?

You know, it's funny. Whenever someone decisively exposes one of your homer arguments for the trash that it is, you tend to panic and resort to calling the other person an average, or worse, bad fan who deserves to root for a loser. But, the irony is that YOU would be the one happy with Kotite. If Kotite were coaching the team right now, you'd be telling Jets fans how they just don't appreciate him. YOU are the one who deserves, and would actually be content with, Rich Kotite.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.