4th and Inches!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Dec 21, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The spot was really horrible. He was a good half yard short.

2. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember screaming at the TV. My question is, the orange link or the post? What indicates 1st down?

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fair enough. :)

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe that in order for Geno to be successful at the NFL level he will have to be put in a single read offense that exploits his athletic ability. Give him to a read-option maven looking for a guy who can run that and he'll have a chance at being good.

His ability to scan the field, his accuracy and his reaction time are all lower than you'd like in a pocket passer. He gets caught flatfooted by the rush too often.

It's not about quick feet btw. Tom Brady makes three-toed sloths look like Fred Astaire but he also reads the field very well, is highly accurate in his throws in the middle of the field and can release the ball instantly if that's what he needs to do. He also knows that one step is all he needs most of the time to evade the rush. He gets nailed from time to time but his strengths cover his weaknesses almost perfectly.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

His footwork is just so poor. He needs to dedicate many hours, days, months, maybe even years to correcting that if he ever wants to be a good NFL QB IMO.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This doesn't even make sense.

It was a horrible spot. Add in the fact that the chain crew was confused as well, and it was a poor effort by the refs. How do you call defense if you don't know down & distance?

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

This. They're not overturning the spot unless it's hityouoverthehead obvious that they blew it... and it clearly wasn't. Rex has such a piss-poor grasp of the challenge system, which is why he's a horrendous 6-21 the last three years. He treats them like scratch-off tickets. How does he not understand that you need CLEAR evidence to overturn a call. There was none ... So you don't cross your fingers and hope, and risk losing timeout #2 there. No way.

And put some blame on Landry for a bad tackle. Had him lined up and could have blasted him three yards short of the mark, but he didn't hit him square and Amendola ran right through him. At that point, you don't place the game on a pie in the sky challenge.

There was another thing that bothered me just as much ---
    Was I the only one screaming to let Bolden score after he hit the 2nd level? I know all about heat of the moment ... But NE called a timeout before the play. Why aren't you telling your defense not to tackle him if he breaks through toward the end zone? If you make the tackle before the goal line its GAME OVER. If you let him score it gives you 1:45 to tie the game. Calvin Pryor chased him down all the way from the other side of the formation to make the tackle 15 yards downfield. And Landry chasing behind him down the sideline like his life depended on it. Just plain stupid.

8. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

n
    Allow me to clarify. The spot was really bad by about 1/2 yard from my perception. That said, I always assumed a first down was indicated by the ball breaking the plane of the inner edge of chain post. Based on yesterday, it appears to be indicated by the last link in the chain.
    That was my only point. Not taking the bad spot (that happens all the time) into account, the contention from the OP and others seem to be based on the incorrect 'common knowledge' of the first down being measured by the post and not the last link of the chain.

9. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]= Geno

Jets69 likes this.
  10. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I don't get it? Missed the game was working, what happened?

11. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

we won, we got a first round by in the playoffs ysy

12. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I still don't completely understand what happened on this play. And I still have no idea what Rex was challenging. The spot? The ruling? The announcement on the field was he was challenging the ruling. Makes no sense.

13. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

don't feel bad, Rex didn't know either.

slimjasi and Jets69 like this.
  14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Challenged the spot. The play was inconsequential.

The game was lost when folk missed the 50yd field goal that gave the NE offense great field position where they just ran the football, so we couldn't hit Brady anymore and they ran out the clock.

Folk should have been looking at 40 yd field goal if MM wasn't the worst game manager of his time. Then Brady and the pats would have been down by 2 and Brady would have had to throw the football and he would have gotten hit some more, bc the D was T'ing off on him.

Another blown game by poor management.

15. PickSix

(4:38) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 80-D.Amendola to NYJ 48 for 7 yards (26-D.Landry). New York Jets challenged the first down ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands. (Timeout #2.)

At the time, I thought that is what I heard from the referee. If anyone can link to the video I'd appreciate it.

16. PickSix

The kick was (barely) blocked by Wilfork. No way does a kicker like Folk toss a duck like that. Several factors put Folk in that spot, but the miss is not on Folk.

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I can't link to the video, but I am positive that's what the ref said. You are correct. I Tvoed the game.

18. PickSix

On this, I agree.

19. PickSix

Thanks, I am looking for more credibility than I was drunk.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Jets have #1 4th-down D in league...you can't say that.

You think their O-line is a gimme against our D-line in that situation ?