QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah but Mariota lost Josh Huff and he's been even better this year. And his line is a shambles.

_

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't know what to make of Mariota at this point. I get the feeling that if an NFL team makes a commitment to him by sitting him for a season and maybe two he could be a great NFL QB. It's possible that he'll come in and star right away but that doesn't normally happen even with great prospects. The NY media environment is such a horrible hostile environment at this point for the Jets that I'm guessing whatever they did with Mariota would be spun to sell papers and make the team look bad.

If they started him then the headlines after a couple of bad games, which any rookie NFL QB is likely to have when he's thrown into the fire, would be "Jets never learn, throw Mariota to the wolves just like they threw Sanchez and Smith." If they kept him on the bench to season some the headlines would be "Why are the Jets sitting the next superstar while they play bad QB's?"

This is one of those situations where whatever the Jets do they need to be very strong internally and united in a way that is hard to pick apart.

The thing about the current maelstrom is that Woody Johnson, John Idzik and Rex Ryan have been united in terms of their public statements and all obviously going in the same direction and the tabloids have still tried to paint the Jets as divided and broken and all that. There's a point at which you just have to shrug off the tabloids and recognize that they have no interest in a team that doesn't provide juicy stuff for them to write about all the time.

Those National Enquirer headlines that you see that make you shake your head at the supermarket checkout are the just like the tabloid approach to the Jets. That's been pretty standard stuff since at least 2007 when the Jets collapsed in Eric Mangini's second season. All the garbage began right around then. Then in 2011 at the end things just went over the top. It's been like an orchestrated campaign to crush the Jets public image in which all the flaws are magnified and distorted almost beyond recognition.

Geno Da Meano_ likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Adding to your lack of the ability to spell the name of a player you want people to believe you are an authority on, you apparently do not understand the posts you respond to.

I didn't say that he was "just a guy that hits open receivers." You can go ahead and search my posts for that, and I'm sure you will, then you'll get infuriated that you just knew that's what I said, although it's just what you wanted to believe that I said... but hey, at least you're not completely ignorant.

4. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I've been against getting either Mariota or Winston in the draft..... But I'm slowly starting to come around that we need to take yet another shot at a franchise qb and if we are going to do that, they are the top prospects...... Winston could be a nice player but he's stupid and him in NY worries me...... For that reason alone I'd take Mariota over Winston......

5. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

Jameis Winston: "The only thing as vicious as rape is falsely accusing someone of rape"

At this point, I don't think anyone is gonna touch him in the top 10. Mariota is going to be highly sought after, gonna take a lot of luck for us to land him.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If we hit on a QB we go from treadmill team to perennial contender

It's that simple for us

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

He's not exactly wrong. Those kinds of accusations stick with you regardless, whether it was false accusations or true. If they are indeed false, they still might fuck up dude's career.

I havent kept up with the trial, keep in mind, and hes done plenty of harm to his career himself. Looking at it from his point of view, if he really didn't do anything it could fuck up his entire life.

Not trying to start anything, just saying it seems like anything that he says that's not all sunshine and rainbows is suddenly a weapon. You can't expect a kid to know exactly what to say, we all know hes an immature guy. He's trying to throw footballs not go into politics.

And before you say I'm defending my boyfriend or something, I'd rather we drafted Mariota because I think hes sharp enough to pick up a prostyle offense and make a home in the pocket.

That said I think Winston is a mentor figure who will be hard on him to fix his antics and help him shore up his decision-making away from being a damn fine pro QB.

8. tomz

tomz New Member

Mark Sanchez was accused of rape as well. It is easy for me to use those rape accusations to discount Winston because I don't like him. Reality, how the hell do we know whether or not he actually did this such criminal action. Let law to give out an official result and we act promptly.

If Winston falls out of top 10, it will be because of something other than "rape" stories.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Lol talk about ignorant. I'll tell you what you find a post of me stating that I am the authority on Mariota and I will find one of you stating that he is just a fast QB that hits wide open receivers. I guarantee it will be easier for me.

In the meantime I will be laughing over your originality... Jamarcus Winston, God damn so funny..

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ben Roethlisberger had similar shadings hanging over him in the draft and he fell to all of 11th after being the 2nd QB prospect behind Eli for most of the evaluation process.

You want a really painful 1st round choice by a perennially bad team? In the 2004 draft the Cleveland Browns took Kellen Winslow with the 6 pick and watch Roethlisberger fall to the Steelers at 11. They'd already given up on Tim Couch but they couldn't pull the trigger on a QB in the 1st despite the guy widely seen as worth a top 10 pick sitting there at 6.

The Steelers were 6-10 in 2003. The Browns were 5-11. In the 11 seasons since the Browns have only been closer to the Steelers twice, in 2007 when they both went 10-6 and the Browns missed the playoffs and this year when the Browns are tied but in 2nd place on tie-breakers.

11. abyzmul

So a woman being physically restrained, possibly beaten and sexually violated is the same as a guy being accused of performing that act?

The fuck?

12. abyzmul

So I ask you to prove I said something, which we both know I did not, and you refuse to do so, then you challenge me to find a post with a quote that I never quoted?

You are a special kind of halfhead.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You should stick to the lame jokes, that seems to be your specialty. You clearly can't follow along. Go read up on some more prospects so next time you don't sound so clueless. You know lame nicknames can only go so far.

NYJets17 likes this.
  14. abyzmul

Telling me that I can't follow along while you have clearly abandoned whatever tired crap was your argument... Great job.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Did anyone else find it strange that it took so long for Jameis to have his disciplinary hearing? It ended today, was stretched to a second day even though Jameis and his 2 roommates refused to testify. The significance of the second day you ask? The hearing officer has 10 days to render a decision, 10 class and exam days that is. Guess when the 10th day lands, January 12th the date of the National Championship.
    Here's to hoping Oregon and FSU play each other in the semi-final and that it doesn't matter if the decision comes on the 12th..

16. abyzmul

That is fucking pathetic. Predictable, but still pathetic. Good old FSU.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

18. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Jameis Winston will be a top 5 pick lol. See ya at the draft.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but Winston has thrown 17 picks this year in 392 attempts. Seems like a lot of turnovers for a guy being talked about as a top 5 pick...

Toward the middle to back of the draft, what do people think of South Alabama's Brandon Bridge and Old Dominion's Tyler Heinicke?