Who's your choice for head coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Who do you want as HC?

1. Jim Harbaugh

80 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. Todd Bowles

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Kyle Shanahan

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Vic Fangio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gus Mazhlan

20 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Pep Hamiliton

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Adam Gase

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Other

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Since Rex being fired is almost a forgone conclusion, who would you want? For me, it's a three way tie between Harbaugh, Shanahan (younger one), and Todd Bowles.

Harbaugh, we all know can win and run a team. I don't know why the Niners hate him after a SB appearance and three straight championship games, but if they fire him, they'll find how easy it is to be worse than mediocre. Should we hire him, I'd give him complete control over the team. In three years, we'd be on our way to contending. His hire also adds instant credibility to the Jets.

With Shanahan, he has proven himself well dealing with the whole RGIII situation, and making Hoyer look like more than a career backup. Wouldn't carry same star power as Harbaugh, but confident he can improve our offense.

Todd Bowles has that Arizona defense playing well and is probably huge reason they're 9-2. I know he's a defensive mind, but so long as he actually manages a team better than Rex, I'd be on board with him.

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

NO MORE DEFENSIVE HC...we need a coach to PICK & develop a qb

abyzmul, VaBchJet, almbleamal and 2 others like this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Harbaugh would be my first choice, Kyle Shannahn would be my second, I want nothing to do with Bowles, he is probably the only guy who blitzes more than rex, and I really want to get away from hiring another DC as a HC.

I would like to see an OC who can help develope a young QB.

Gus has potential, but I just don't know enough about him to formulate an opinion either way.

4. milo

milo Well-Known Member

This poll should be changed to who do we want not named Harbaugh, because as much as I'd love to see the guy here I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he comes here with the Raiders job up for grabs.

The guy has been living in the same house since Stanford, and has never shown any desire to uproot his family. I just don't think you can write a big enough check to the guy to make him leave the West Coast, not when they'll write just as big a check.

For me it's Malzahn - proven winner, offensive minded, fits Woody's M.O. of never hiring a coach on the carousel. Back up the truck.

abyzmul, TonyMaC, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  5. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Malzahn is my pick but I cant see him leaving Auburn

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

That is where the league is going
    You don't win without a productive passing game
    My first choice is for an offense oriented coach
    If we do go defense, then make sure we get an established QB who can succeed in a downfield passing game

nevbeats319 likes this.
  7. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

MALZAHN!!!!!!

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Shaw and summerlin are two other candidates.

9. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

^ Do you mean Kevin Sumlin or is Summerlin somebody else?

Jets69 likes this.
  10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

He means Sumlin.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sean Payton. He won't get fired, but I can dream.

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

One really depressing thought I had while driving into work today....Our crosstown rivals - Big Blue will also be in the market for a new HC. If you are any respectable NFL coaching prospect, which NY organization are you going to want to go to? The one with a Super Bowl MVP QB and one of the most highly regarded owners and Front Offices in the NFL or.....the Jets??

Hate to be so negative but it is REALLY not a good thing for us that the Jets and Giants are in the market for a new coach in the same offseason. Woody is going to have to make some bold moves to get someone decent in here.

13. almbleamal

almbleamal Member

In this order: Jim Harbaugh, Kyle Shanahan, Kevin Sumlin, Gus Malzahn, David Shaw.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I need to think through all the potential candidates, but Malzahn is an interesting prospect.
    no real NFL experience to speak of, but there are some things to really like.

- Head coaching experience
    - innovative offensive mind in terms of tempo. many coaches in the NCAA and NFL have been copying his style in that respect
    - despite the up tempo, he's not simply a slinger. he runs more than passes. having commitment to the run is essential in cold weather football
    - has done wonders for Auburns program in the toughest college division, the SEC West

I want to continue emphasizing defense and the offensive line, while finding an answer at QB.
    We are not a finesse dome team, and we don't have a QB currently on the roster. Simply putting an OC as our HC is not the answer to me. We'll need balance, and continued commitment to physical play while hopefully developing a QB.
    Malzahn is certainly one candidate i'd be interested in for that reason.
    my main knock is lack of NFL experience.

74 likes this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Jim Harbaugh or Gus Malzahn

16. BacktoQueens

The Giants are a much easier team to turn around, as they already have their QB.
    i think Coughlin, Fewell, and Macadoo have done an atrocious job with what they have.

a coach could come in there and look good quickly. they also won't have nearly as much media flare to deal with. so yeah i agree, it would be a more attractive job. The Jets job is going to entail a multi-year rebuild with an impatient fan base......and that is if they find a QB. If not, the coaching carousel will just continue.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Would not surprise me of Bill Cowher became the new head coach of the NY Giants

18. BacktoQueens

The Giants have no balls, and Cowher would certainly bring a set.
    However, he's been out of coaching for so long now, that he'd really need to rely on good coordinators imo. I'd be hesitant on him for that reason (unless he has a coordinator plan in his pitch)..

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I only say it because his daughters live in NY and he likes being in NY as part of the CBS crew, but he could get the urge to return to a team and the Giants although shitty this year have some good pieces.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan.

Yes, I'm that guy.

Kris 15 and jetlife21 like this.